Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

phewww...we may have made it another year! I know this week is usally doom week for Macy's.

Lets hope that no other closings are announced this month for any store locally.

Rumor in Chicago is that Macy's will downsize the former Marshall Field flagship store, trying to lease out most of the Wabash ave. north and middle sections aka The Wanamaker Building in Philadelphia, keeping a presence on the Wabash main floor. The State Street side would continue as the "flagship" store. Also exploring leasing out the Walnut Room and other food service operations to outside vendor's. With the overall decrease in volume due to the downgrading of the high end merchandise across all departments this is not surprising. Macy's actually owns State Street but they might have a hard sell in this office market. But again, they only pay tax on space actually used for retail sales, so it seems to be a penny saved issue. They are not operating this store like the other 2 flagships, i.e. Herald Square NYC and Union Square in San Francisco and it no longer the destination it was as Marshall Field & Co.

Northland looks more like a flea market, than a shopping mall at this point, with all the vendors selling their wares right in the aisles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Northland looks more like a flea market, than a shopping mall at this point, with all the vendors selling their wares right in the aisles.
    A flea market enviroment to cater to what some enterprenuer would say a flea market mentality. Many of the shop owners in Northland are owned by individuals who minds are only catering to the urban hip hop clientel. Once the clientele changes then the type of shops will change. It was Hudson's at Northland which had sold African Kinte Clothe items in the late 80s early 90s. Hudson's had started catering to the clientel that was shopping at Northland at the time. I had once heard Charles Pugh say we should shop the Avenue of Fashion with coupons or the like given to you for discounts. There are no good stores on the Ave of Fashion. Another avenue of flea markets and ghetto barbershops, beauty shops, and a bakery that doesn't sell donughts or any other small pasteries. I don't go to the barbers in the city. I get my hair cut at Fantastic Sams or Borics. Once the community change so would the shops and services.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2