Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I will start by saying: I am will not pass judgment on this woman or her family for their drug use. That's a separate issue. And I appreciate Django's heartstrings being tugged at, knowing they will have no place to live and be in the cold. So I hope they find some shelter [[preferably with some type of drug rehab program).

That being said... WTF? How are they supposed to be "served notice" and get "due process" when no one knows they live there?? If they are illegally squatting, then no legal entity has knowledge they exist at that address. And, if the house was condemned before being added to the demolition list, then the OWNER would have been notified. And a notice would have shown up at the door, in case there were LEGAL tenants.

Citylover, forgive me for being so blunt, but I think your comment was way out of line, calling us misinformed. And you wrote:

"The right thing to do is follow the law. If you all are willing to circumvent the law here you are tacitly saying you are giving up your own right to due process in other matters.We live in an orderly society where vigilante backwood [[sic) justice is not tolerated which is why all are entitled to due process. "

Are you saying that they should legally protect their right to continue to break the law? Good luck with that.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Moma One Eye and the Eyelettes. I cannot wait to bring that stage name up to them when I stop by tomorrow.
    Hope they do not shiv you for dope money on your goodwill stop.

Okay, they took over an abandoned house that was being used by no one, its a decent enough house on a block which is almost completely free of all houses.
    They already have another house lined up, actually several. Their not hurting for an abandoned to live in. I just thought it ill that someone can come bulldoze their squat with only 12 hours notice.
    See if they could get the street level entrepreneurs that set up shop across the street to move near her new squat. Retail moves/opens new places to be close to their coustomer base, so why not street level retail? That would be Detroit rising to meet the needs of it's residents, right?

I know I know, tough love.

Honestly, you all are right. I know these ppl and I want to help them, I dont want to see them kicked out. But you all are right. I guess I just kept posting because I like to argue, I guess I was just hoping it would turn out different, like them being able to stay.
    Yep.

I might not be the sharpest spoon in the toolbox but Im here, I live here and I care about these ppl.
    Leave my name outta this Patchy.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    would find it's way into my pocket based on meddles prmitive hillbilly idea of justice.From the sound of it no mater how meager the amount of money I received either by a judgment or by you simply knowing you were in the wrong it would upset you greatly.Sorry to read you have no respect for the law. On this I know beyond any doubt that you are in the wrong simply put we have laws precisely to avoid bad ideas like using guns etc.....
    "hillbilly idea of justice" ??????

The kids stick out like a sore thumb, or a missing eye in this thing. The kids need to get the frig outta there. The mother needs some rehab or attention and just get the hell outta that situation. They are just in a place where the dealer across the street is the winner and everybody else is a loser.

They are over 18, Django said.

Okay, just leave them there then.

I told them yesterday HBOs comming down to make a reality show on them. They weren't surprised but asked if it paid.

Ive heard different, If they have a letter addressed to them at that address their legally living there but Im no lawyer. Ive had cops come to buildings Ive lived in and they wanted to see something that proved I lived there, I showed them a letter and they said Cool.
    So if I have a letter addressed to me at the MCS, I am a resident there? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    So if I have a letter addressed to me at the MCS, I am a resident there? I think not.
    try it, you might be surprised. Several times Ive had cops just want me to show them a piece of mail with my name on it to prove I lived there at the residence being investigated.

Many times all you need for proof of residency is a piece of mail in your name and the address.

If you put up a mailbox on the MCS [[or the chain link surrounding it) you could get mail there. I dare ya.

Let's see... They need a heat source and help to stay in a house they like due to its proximity to places where they can buy heroin. Where do we sign up! Did they have a heater before that was sold for necessary expenses [[heroin doesn't buy itself, you know.)

I understand compassion for people, but this is the most backwards-ass thread I have ever seen.

django pm me if you're seeking legal help

citylover Guest

Default Law must be followed

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    I will start by saying: I am will not pass judgment on this woman or her family for their drug use. That's a separate issue. And I appreciate Django's heartstrings being tugged at, knowing they will have no place to live and be in the cold. So I hope they find some shelter [[preferably with some type of drug rehab program).

That being said... WTF? How are they supposed to be "served notice" and get "due process" when no one knows they live there?? If they are illegally squatting, then no legal entity has knowledge they exist at that address. And, if the house was condemned before being added to the demolition list, then the OWNER would have been notified. And a notice would have shown up at the door, in case there were LEGAL tenants.

Citylover, forgive me for being so blunt, but I think your comment was way out of line, calling us misinformed. And you wrote:

"The right thing to do is follow the law. If you all are willing to circumvent the law here you are tacitly saying you are giving up your own right to due process in other matters.We live in an orderly society where vigilante backwood [[sic) justice is not tolerated which is why all are entitled to due process. "

Are you saying that they should legally protect their right to continue to break the law? Good luck with that.
    Well evidently it is known that they live there or they would not have been told a bulldozer was on the way.

Regardless of whether the squatters are breaking the law the property owner must still follow the law and the law allows for due process.This ensures that all parties are protected.The squatters get their day in court and the landowner protects him/herself from a future day in court for illegally evicting someone.

As for notice being served if they are living there it would be simple enough to serve them it simply involves either taking a 30 day notice to quit on the door or leaving an envelope with the notice.

citylover Guest

Default I should have said

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    "hillbilly idea of justice" ??????
    Hillbilly justice rather then hillbilly idea so I would not directly insult anyone which is never my intention. Apologies extended.

DetroitPole Guest

There is a vacant house on my block and I live on the eastside...new neighbors maybe??
    Squatters are destabilizing the few half-way decent areas of the city. That's my only problem with them. I believe everybody, no matter how fucked-up and one-eyed they are, should have a place to live as a human right. However it shouldn't mean the vacant house of your choice so you can muck up the area with your one-eyed heroin-addicted shenanigans. Then the decent people split for ____ suburb and a once stable area becomes crap town and all of winky's upstanding friends move in.
    Wish her the best...but not in my backyard! I don't pay my taxes and keep my grass cut just so mama one-eye can pass out on it.

9mile&seneca Guest

In the land of the blind, the one eyed heroin addict is king

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed heroin addict is king
    long live the king

citylover Guest

Default sounds to me like

I told them yesterday HBOs comming down to make a reality show on them. They weren't surprised but asked if it paid.
    They would pursue a case of illegal eviction as they are fond of money....

9mile&seneca Guest

I had an idea for one that never panned out. "Misanthropes" a reality show about a group of them going about their day to day lives. I got the idea from "Friends" and how lousy I thought it was. The theme song: I won't be there for you...

checkraisej Guest

Citylover, I don't dispute the fact that they are entitled to to due process. When the house is bulldozed and their rights are violated, where is the court going to send the legal paperwork? Hell, you should know as well as anyone about addicts. Do you really think that responding to legal notices are real high on their list of priorities? In your drug-knowledgeable opinion, do you really think that One Eye is going to keep the court updated on the current abandoned house that they've taken over?

checkraisej Guest

Meddle, I want to apologize for my remark and the being from Lapeer bit, it was not intended for you. You didnt deserve my angst. I am sorry. I got carried away.
    It was meant for me. Django looked at my profile, which says I'm from Lapeer. I don't live in Lapeer. Rest assured, I live in a crime ridden third world city just like you guys. In fact, the two houses across the street from me are vacant. I should just go annex the property and when someone comes to buy the house, I'll just say "Evict me". Hell, taking over what is not yours has worked for Django and his friends.

citylover Guest

Default You may have

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    Citylover, I don't dispute the fact that they are entitled to to due process. When the house is bulldozed and their rights are violated, where is the court going to send the legal paperwork? Hell, you should know as well as anyone about addicts. Do you really think that responding to legal notices are real high on their list of priorities? In your drug-knowledgeable opinion, do you really think that One Eye is going to keep the court updated on the current abandoned house that they've taken over?
    more than a few good points.No I do not think they would respond to the landowner serving them notice in which case it would not matter as they would be legally evicted.........however were they not legally evicted and they found some do good lawyer[[maybe wsu or dcl has a tenant legal aid service)to pursue the matter they might show up.I say that in light of the comment about HBO and their inquiry about $$............ironic that they seemed to not know it was a joke........sometimes addiction is humorless.

Pretty sad, the HBO dope documentary is not new maybe some of you saw it ?
    High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_on...ives_in_Lowell

Citylover, you didn't address my question [[in fact, I'm not sure you really read what I wrote):

Are you saying they should go to court to legally protect their rights to break the law?

Hey Django, thanks for being you and caring for these folks on the street.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-02-11 at 07:10 PM.

combustible materials for everyone, CHEERS!

really tho, somehow no, i have this song stuck in my head
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE

thanks,
    [[sings) "one eyed, two son'd , heroin doing housing squatter ...."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast