Sigh...I wish they were keeping it on the Detroit River, and not taking her to New York.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...fe-new-mission

Some of my most profound memories is taking the Columbia to Boblo Island. That boat was so intimidating, but intensely fascinating.

I remember the sound of the engines at it was departing from the Detroit docks on its way to the island for a day of fun. My younger brother got to steer the ship one time on the way to Boblo. I remember the amazing beauty of the wooden decks, the ornate stair cases.

The St. Claire was parked a few years ago at Tricentennial State park. It was so amazing to just touch that boat, the pure joy of childhood flooding back.

With boats like the Diamond Princess running up and down the Detroit River, why isn't this viable to get these boats on the water and doing dinner cruises, poker tournaments and private parties? The Columbia has a dance floor, and it has an entire region, with generations of people who know those boats and have deep memories on them. Who wouldn't want to go on those boats on a warm summer night?

Hopefully the St. Claire can be restored and brought back onto the waters for more people to enjoy.