Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Power House, at its core, is an experiment in sustainability with few resources. What brought us to this place where the haves have more and the pool of have nots continues to expand is a valuable area of investigation for what happens next to bind together and grow pockets of city community -- or accelerate continued unraveling.
    Hats off to this effort.
    Can you say "found-object skate park?" If so, welcome to honky heidelberg. JK

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Sure, someone could have knocked down the houses and called it performance art.
    Hilarious...........

Gina here from Power House. Thanks for all your comments, i think...
    Juxtapoz posted a lengthy interview with me & Mitch if you'd like to get a bit more of our perspective -- http://www.juxtapoz.com/Features/fea...poz-in-detroit

Very nice article PHP. Thanks for pointing it out. I really appreciate what you two do for Detroit and the Detroit art scene from Tangent gallery, through MOCAD and now this. Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by PHP View Post
    Gina here from Power House. Thanks for all your comments, i think...
    Juxtapoz posted a lengthy interview with me & Mitch if you'd like to get a bit more of our perspective -- http://www.juxtapoz.com/Features/fea...poz-in-detroit

Juxtapoz magazine, Feb., 2011 on newsstands now.
    26-pages of lowbrow art allstars documented in Detroit.
    Really nice photos by Tod Seelie.
    Would have been nice to have a pix of Powerhouse peeps since they are the true innovators.
    News headline for this summer: "Traffic jams Moran Street; neighbors weed and feed suburbanites at urban-art destination."
    Oprah called. She wants to give away Detroit houses to 100 people.
    Last edited by Lt. Dan Bassett; January-27-11 at 12:47 PM.

Sounds like a great area for an art colony! I tried enjoying the Heidelberg Project but one of the artists flipped out when he noticed my camera, so I sarcastically showed him my i.d. [[only in the suburbs and city)lol and a resident of a house that was covered in art became agitated that some art lovers were too close to the yard, and there were signs warning against picture taking or lawsuits or something or other. I think some sections of the city are just too saturated with' negative energy', as my new age organic food eatin spirit world hippy type friends and aquaintainces say......

YUH GOTTA HAVE ART!
    Last edited by terryh; January-27-11 at 08:14 PM.

If one of those were my childhood home, I'd rather see it gone.

I'm impressed by all the work. Some of the installations look worth checking out.

I do not like however, the installations on the burned out houses. I'm sorry, demolish those. There's a difference between an art colony using standing houses as opposed to re-arranging or painting a pile of debris. I think I'm being fair unless it's the intention of Detroit artists to do what the rest of the world has never really done

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3