I'll start this by saying that I live in Maryland but I've always had a fascination with Detroit.

I've been wondering about this for a while...I've noticed that alot of times, if someone mentions that they are moving into the City of Detroit, they are usually steered towards downtown, or a handful of other neighborhoods [[Midtown, Palmer Park, East English Village, etc). Most other areas of the city are usually represented as no-go zones. My question is about some of these other areas.

Looking around on Google maps, I see a lot of neighborhood names that I don't think I've ever heard anything about. I've also been told that large parts of the city don't technically have neighborhood names, but are referred to as the name of a nearby intersection. I put together a list of some of these places that I would like to learn more about.

Can anybody tell me anything about some of these areas? I'm just curious, as I know absolutely nothing about them other than that they are usually represented as burned-out warzones. Basically, I would just like to know anything that anybody can tell me. Are some of them better or worse than others?

-Five Points
-The Eye
-Eliza Howell
-Weatherby
-Herman Gardens
-Westwood Park
-Minock Park
-Seven Mile/Evergreen
-Blackstone Park
-Seven Mile/Greenfield
-Belmont
-Grandale
-Barton-McFarland
-Littlefield
-Bagley
-Fitzgerald
-Green Acres
-Russell Woods
-Petosky-Otsego
-Michigan-Martin
-Boynton
-Alden Park
-Grixdale
-Krainz Woods
-McDougall-Hunt
-Mack/Van Dyke
-Ravendale
-Seven Mile/Van Dyke
-Greensbriar
-Mohican Regent
-Regent Park
-McNichols/Gratiot
-Conant Gardens
-Livernois/Fenkell
-Berg-Lasher

I realize it's a big list and I appreciate anything that anyone can tell me about any of them, good or bad. I haven't been to Detroit since I was in high school and I regret not seeing much besides downtown.