Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Terrific and sad video Neavling.

Am I the only one who wonders how a decision to demolish it so promptly was made and carried out -- while the building was smoldering no less! The rapid contracting, arrangements and assembling of equipment strikes me as completely uncharacteristic of the city or whoever is allow to make such a decision.

It would almost seem as if someone knew it was going to burn down and had all the agreements and plans in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Am I the only one who wonders how a decision to demolish it so promptly was made and carried out -- while the building was smoldering no less! The rapid contracting, arrangements and assembling of equipment strikes me as completely uncharacteristic of the city or whoever is allow to make such a decision.

It would almost seem as if someone knew it was going to burn down and had all the agreements and plans in place.
    Could it have been some sort of DFD training exercise? Not that they'd need it given how frequently buildings burn in the city but that might explain the quick demolition.

Could it have anything to do with the thread below where corporations donated $8m for emergency vehicles recently? Maybe a construction company decided to donate an excavator to the fleet of 100 donated police cars and 23 ambulances?http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ice-car-livery

What does the city use to dig up and repair 100 year old broken water mains anyway? Could this excavator have already been part of the city's fleet and the fire dept. used it because it was nearby?
    Last edited by davewindsor; April-14-13 at 07:21 PM.

That building wasn't coming back to life. Maybe if it was in a different city, but in Detroit, in that area, wasn't going to happen. Of course, I said the same thing about that places in Palmer Park.

- Demolition contractor tore the building down. What was seen was a crime taking place right under everyone's noses. The contractor was paid $25k [[a good guess) to remove the 'safety hazard' on 'short notice'. Chances are the fire was set ... was it the contractor?

- Too bad nobody is looking for the money changing hands under the table. Technocrats running Detroit = crooks stealing everything not nailed down. Look for much more of this sort of thing in the near future.

- Building itself was interesting to look at but would have cost millions to bring into service. It was basically a frame building with a brick facade ... not much to it.

Not to change the subject, but another time there was an immediate demo of a still-smoldering building - that raised my left eyebrow - was the huge building on Piquette and John R.

Oh yes! That storage center combo meat place - Piquette Meat Market et al! It started to stink so bad within days of the fire they had no choice. It was like death-warmed-over the smell was so bad, especially as it occurred late in the summer too!

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Not to change the subject, but another time there was an immediate demo of a still-smoldering building - that raised my left eyebrow - was the huge building on Piquette and John R.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-25-13 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve from virginia View Post
    - Demolition contractor tore the building down. What was seen was a crime taking place right under everyone's noses. The contractor was paid $25k [[a good guess) to remove the 'safety hazard' on 'short notice'. Chances are the fire was set ... was it the contractor?

- Too bad nobody is looking for the money changing hands under the table. Technocrats running Detroit = crooks stealing everything not nailed down. Look for much more of this sort of thing in the near future.

- Building itself was interesting to look at but would have cost millions to bring into service. It was basically a frame building with a brick facade ... not much to it.
    It will be remembered though, it's history will be retained in the form of a wall in a multi million dollar loft in New York , bragging rights for a 60k wall assembled from the blackened vintage brick from Detroit .

When you look at a vintage red brick building and see the occasional black brick? The color of the brick is caused from being in the kiln to long and they are worth $100 per.

Look at the brick work and what you see is something time can only replace at a high cost,the building had no value or it may have been not worth saving to some but to some there was value,how many bricks were there do you think?

Cannot squeeze blood from a turnip?
    No meat left on the bones of Detroit ?

There is profit in mayhem and as you may be begin to see the door is open for the creative folk that can seize that operituinity ,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3