Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was there on Saturday night for about 15-20 minutes starting at about 9:30 p.m.. It was totally under control, i.e. no idiots running through the fire, everyone stayed back an appropriate distance, didn't seem to be an inappropriate amoung of alcohol - too cold. Just a fun bonfire, like 100s that take place on beaches throughout the summer all over the state of Michigan. The field [[Mariner's Park?) is big with no buildings within the danger zone.

However, the remains were still smoldering on Sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by GPCharles; January-10-11 at 12:01 PM.

Anyone see the report on Channel 4.
    I'm curious who is the asshole that allowed GPP to dump their trees on their empty lot in a residential neighborhood for this bon fire.

My money says that the person who owns the lot doesn't live in the neighborhood. But hey, as long as people had fun burning the trees we can ignore the residents that dealt with a lot full of hundreds of trees.

Anyone know who owns the lot. I have a tree I'd like to leave on their front porch.

Was this the bonfire that Channel 4 just did the story re: the trees being dumped in an empty lot on Marlborough by the GPP Dept of Public Works? They said they were asked by someone having a bonfire to drop them in that lot. They were made to remove the trees because neighbors complained.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Usually GPPP shows up, but this year they didn't.
    Probably because of this. The folks living on Malborough weren't too happy with all of the trees from GP getting dumped on that vacant lot and they called the Channel 4 "Defenders".

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Anyone see the report on Channel 4.
    I'm curious who is the asshole that allowed GPP to dump their trees on their empty lot in a residential neighborhood for this bon fire.
    The asshole is a retired Detroit fireman who owns the lot.

Does the retired DFD live on the block or have any concern whatsoever for the residents? His indifference towards the residents on the block is appalling regardless of his previous job.

Can you pass on his address so I can dump a bunch of trees in his neighborhood? Are there difference sets of rules and expectations he has for his home and neighborhood?
    Last edited by jt1; January-12-11 at 01:40 PM.

Does the retired DFD live on the block or have any concern whatsoever for the residents? His indifference towards the residents on the block is appalling regardless of his previous job.

Can you pass on his address so I can dump a bunch of trees in his neighborhood? Are there difference sets of rules and expectations he has for his home and neighborhood?
    Who's the asshole in city government that allows him to burn trees in a public park? When you're done dumping trees in the fireman's neighborhood, go dump all the ashes in the servant's neighborhood.
    Last edited by MikeM; January-12-11 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Who's the asshole in city government that allows him to burn trees in a public park? When you're done dumping trees in the fireman's neighborhood, go dump all the ashes in the servant's neighborhood.
    The city allowing this doesn't not justify his actions. Deflecting blame doesn't change his attitude towards residents of that street.

The city allowing this doesn't not justify his actions. Deflecting blame doesn't change his attitude towards residents of that street.
    You're eager to deflect the blame to an absentee suburbanite property owner or his evil suburban government, so I'll turn around and deflect the blame to the city government. An unsustainable suburb like Grosse Pointe Park would slap that shit down the same day it started, and they would never permit a fire like that in a park. If Detroit allowed this then I pity the residents; it gives guys like this the idea that anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You're eager to deflect the blame to an absentee suburbanite property owner or his evil suburban government, so I'll turn around and deflect the blame to the city government. An unsustainable suburb like Grosse Pointe Park would slap that shit down the same day it started, and they would never permit a fire like that in a park. If Detroit allowed this then I pity the residents; it gives guys like this the idea that anything goes.
    I'm not deflecting blame. I am assigning it to the city, the piece of shit that owns the property and GPP. What is laughable is that you think the residents of Marlborough should be subjected to this because the city allows a fire elsewhere.

Blame the city as a justification for this piece of shit to do this to the residents if it makes you sleep better at night. Please pass on his address and I'll see how much stuff on can pile on his front lawn before his city 'slaps that shit down'

As I understand a retired firefighter had a vacant lot he owns, he offered that lot for ppl to drop off trees where he would then dispose of them, Im assuming by taking them to the bonfire. Sounds like the lot got a few too many trees [[the link to channel 4 isnt working for me), ppl complained and he took care of it. Whats the problem? Dudes lot got overwhelmed and he took care of it.

I went by the park yesterday that holds the tree burn, its one big huge piece of land, its the perfect place to have a bonfire. Unless a bunch of ppl from the closest neighborhood is complaining I dont see the issue. What are you all being a bunch of tightasses for? Sheesh. Maybe Im missing something but its just a goddamn bonfire, and jtf1972, if I had a yard the size of that park I would gladly have everyone over to have that party/bonfire.

I believe Sumas has written grants for that park, obviously cares about that park and has no issue with the bonfire.

I couldnt make it this year because of work but I cant wait till next year, I hope its a bit warmer than it was this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    As I understand a retired firefighter had a vacant lot he owns, he offered that lot for ppl to drop off trees where he would then dispose of them, Im assuming by taking them to the bonfire. Sounds like the lot got a few too many trees [[the link to channel 4 isnt working for me), ppl complained and he took care of it. Whats the problem? Dudes lot got overwhelmed and he took care of it.

I went by the park yesterday that holds the tree burn, its one big huge piece of land, its the perfect place to have a bonfire. Unless a bunch of ppl from the closest neighborhood is complaining I dont see the issue. What are you all being a bunch of tightasses for? Sheesh. Maybe Im missing something but its just a goddamn bonfire........................
    Try this link to the Channel 4 video:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/26459363/index.html

Here's what the neighbors [[and Channel 4 viewers) saw - a marked GP DPW pickup truck making repeated runs in broad daylight to drop off dead Christmas trees on a lot that was getting filled with stacks of trees six feet high containing +300 trees.

It's bad enough that empty lots are fouled by unscrupulous dumpers in the dead of night, but to have a suburban employee openly dumping his city's refuse on a vacant lot in another city is beyond the pale. It doesn't matter if the trees were only going to be there for a few days, they constitute a health and fire hazard, a visual blight and a violation of city ordinances and it shouldn't take a call to the "Defenders" to get the nuisance abated. The owner of the lot should have received a ticket but apparently got off without one because once it was brought to their attention by Channel 4, the GP DPW officials took care of the problem without the involvement of City of Detroit personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Try this link to the Channel 4 video:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/26459363/index.html

Here's what the neighbors [[and Channel 4 viewers) saw - a marked GP DPW pickup truck making repeated runs in broad daylight to drop off dead Christmas trees on a lot that was getting filled with stacks of trees six feet high containing +300 trees.

It's bad enough that empty lots are fouled by unscrupulous dumpers in the dead of night, but to have a suburban employee openly dumping his city's refuse on a vacant lot in another city is beyond the pale. It doesn't matter if the trees were only going to be there for a few days, they constitute a health and fire hazard, a visual blight and a violation of city ordinances and it shouldn't take a call to the "Defenders" to get the nuisance abated. The owner of the lot should have received a ticket but apparently got off without one because once it was brought to their attention by Channel 4, the GP DPW officials took care of the problem without the involvement of City of Detroit personnel.
    I love the desperate attempt to smear the GPs as dumping their garbage in Detoit. The dissapointment in the reporter's story was palpable. Oh..you mean the guy that owns the lot ASKED to have them dropped off? **cue scary music*** "GP agreed to stop "dumping" there or anywhere in Detroit"--- of course they weren't ACTUALLY dumping, they were DELIVERING per a request of the OWNER...but don't let the facts get in the way of a good suburb vs Detroit story.

the only story here is why it took a tv station to get the problem solved and not the CoD.

Thanks for the link Mikeg, that one worked.

Im curious if the neighbors knew that the trees would only be there for a few days, that there was a reason for putting them there. The DPD called it garbage or whatever and said ppl cant just dump whatever they want, anyone could argue against that. Its the mans property, if he wants to store some trees there for a few days that should be his choice. They certainly stacked them neat and the lot was obviously taken care of. I think Baileys right on with News 4 just needing a story. They made somethin out of nothin.

They were concerned because 300+ dried out pine trees take about one spark to start quite a blaze, and the houses on that street are mostly wood frame. Not to mention that they had no idea that they would be gone in a couple days; they also make cozy winter homes for lots of vermin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Thanks for the link Mikeg, that one worked.

Im curious if the neighbors knew that the trees would only be there for a few days, that there was a reason for putting them there. The DPD called it garbage or whatever and said ppl cant just dump whatever they want, anyone could argue against that. Its the mans property, if he wants to store some trees there for a few days that should be his choice. They certainly stacked them neat and the lot was obviously taken care of. I think Baileys right on with News 4 just needing a story. They made somethin out of nothin.

Believe it or not! The Christmas Tree Burn, started at a Catholic Church, 35 years ago.
    I will get more info on it and post it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2