Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default French woman searches traces of grandfather from Detroit

Re-starting the thread of the same title that was begun on the old forum by "Mary_murphy".

Click here to view the original thread on the old forum.

Click here to view the "Searching for William Murphy" research summary page.

I'll keep chipping away at it while we wait for a response to the SF-180 that I submitted for Wm. Murphy #1. However, feel free to help out by doing a little genealogy research on one or more of those William Murphys on the summary page or finding more of them from SE Michigan to add to the search. We need to determine if any others besides Wm. Murphy #1 could have been inducted into the US Army and shipped over to France by the 4th quarter of 1918.
    Last edited by Lowell; June-04-09 at 08:39 AM.

Default News of Mary

Hello,

I arrived to log on the new forum.
    I am happy to regain you

More soon.
    Mary

Whew - welcome back Mary !

Sorry I haven't been able to do any research lately. I'll try to get back to it soon. Thanks, Mikeg, for compiling everything. It will help all of us track the research.
    Regards, DtCtyGrl

Mikeg, I believe this is the William Murphy, born May 19, 1892 with occupation of office supt. at J.L. Hudson. I have the census record saved. How do I get that to you?

1900 Detroit Census / June 11, 1900
    Murphy, Antone head / w/ m / May 1865 / age 48 / M / number of years married 15 / Ireland / Ireland/ Ireland / immigration year 1880 / # of years in US 20 / Policeman? / own home / free of mortage / home /
    Murphy, Anne / wife / w / f / Mar 18? / age 41 / M / children 4 / children living 4 / Ireland / Ireland / Ireland / 1880 / 20 years
    Murphy, Anne / daughter / w / f / March 1887 / age 13 / S
    Murphy, Johnson / son / w / m / Sep 1888 / age 11 / S
    Murphy, Antone / son / w / m / Feb 1891 / age 9 / S
    Murphy, William / son / w / m May 1892 / age 8 / S
    Address 869 16th Street, Detroit, MI

1910 Census
    Same person as listed above. Listed at home with Anthony [[Father), Annie [[Mother), Annie L. [[sister), Anthony [[brother), William [[age 18)

William Murphy / age 18 / book keeper /department store

Quote Originally Posted by DtCtyGrl View Post
    I have the census record saved. How do I get that to you?
    Thanks!

I've added a contact link near the bottom of the summary web page. Follow the instructions on my contact page and you can e-mail it to me as an attachment and I will upload and add add a link to it on the summary page.

I received a response today from the Military Personnel Records section of the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO regarding the "SF-180" I submitted for William Murphy #1.

They responded with a form letter indicating that his military personnel records were either damaged or completely destroyed in the July 1973 fire [[they did not indicate which). This comes as no great surprise, since personnel records of all US Army veterans who were discharged between Nov. 1, 1912 and Dec. 31, 1959 were caught in the fire. However, they may be able to partially reconstruct his personnel record using any surviving fragments plus information about his military service that may exist at other locations. They have instructed me to fill out the enclosed "NA Form 13075" with as much additional information as I can provide about him and submit it within the next 30 days, which I will most certainly do.

I don't know whether or not this would be appropriate but perhaps an e-mail to the creator of this site could be helpful. He has done extensive research into the mining industry up in copper country. He may have a list of names. I notice there are 2 candidates from that area.

side note. there is a link back to Ruins of Detroit on his site. how cool is that

Mikeg, Alfie1a,

Thank you very much
    Mike, I amaze by the work that you do. I went on summary page that you have made. Little by little, we can progress.

Alfie,
    I don't understand the last sentence.
    Sometimes my American teacher can help to translate. Sometimes I must translate alone. When you employ idioms, I am lost. [[and if you write of difficult way, I don't understand very well). But, when I see my American teacher, she translates the idioms and it is very interesting for me.

Thank you very much again.
    Mary

Thank you very much
    Mike, I am amazed by the work that you do
    All of the most recent research work has been done by "DtCtyGrl" and "Lferg", I have simply posted the new information to the summary web page.

I have been juggling several other genealogical and historical research projects that are near completion, plus I am working on my income taxes. As soon as I get those all behind me, I hope to be able to do more on the William Murphy research.

Tous les plus récents de la recherche de travail a été fait par "DtCtyGrl" et "Lferg", j'ai simplement émis des nouvelles informations au sommaire page Web.

J'ai été de jongler avec plusieurs autres généalogique et historique des projets de recherche qui sont en voie d'achèvement, plus je travaille sur mes impôts sur le revenu. Dès que je reçois tous ceux derrière moi, j'espère être en mesure de faire plus sur la recherche de William Murphy.

Alfie,
    I don't understand the last sentence
    He is saying that he found another web site and that the owner has a link on it to this web site, which is owned by the same person who owns this DetroitYes forum. "How cool is that" means he thinks that is an interesting coincidence. Unfortunately, Alfie1a forgot to include a link to the web site he found, which apparently is about the "Copper Country" region of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The "Copper Country" is the area where William Murphy # 1 and # 2 were living when they joined the Army. William # 1 worked in the copper mines and # 2 was a clerk for a copper mining company.

Il dit qu'il a trouvé un autre site Web et que le propriétaire a un lien Ã[ ce site web, qui est détenue par la même personne qui est propriétaire de ce forum DetroitYes. "Comment est cool que« les moyens Alfie1a constate que, pour être une coïncidence intéressante.Malheureusement, Alfie1a oublié d'inclure un lien vers le site web il a trouvé, qui est apparemment sur le "Pays de cuivre" de la région de Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Le "Pays de cuivre» est la zone où William Murphy # 1 et # 2 ont été la vie quand ils ont rejoint l'Armée de terre. William n ° 1 a travaillé dans les mines de cuivre et n ° 2 a été un employé d'une compagnie minière de cuivre.
    Last edited by Mikeg; April-10-09 at 11:36 AM.

oops. Forgot the link. hehe here it is.

http://www.pasty.com/reflections/index.htm

I would e-mail Mr. Voelker myself but not too good at that sort of thing.

Mikeg, thanks for explaining to Mary about my last sentence. If I did that, I would have probably caused more confusion.

Hi Mary and good luck with your search.

bump - still waiting for a reply from St. Louis, MO

Mike,

Thank you very much for your help , your tenacity and your "waiting".

All the best and cordially to everyone.

Mary

Just wanted to bump the thread .

I too just wanted to bump the thread.

Thank you very much Lferg and Faygoredpop.
    I hope to read, soon, a new message concerning William Murphy.
    But even if there are not new message, I am happy to read you.
    All the best.
    Mary

Just wanted to bump the thread again

Wanted to bump the thread again. Any news on William Murphy #1 from the inquiry?

Sorry, I've not gotten any more feedback from the National Personnel Records Center in response to the "Questionnaire About Military Service" [[Form 13075) I submitted for William Murphy # 1. It is hard to say if that is a good or a bad thing, but rather than wait any longer, I think I will submit a Standard Form 180 for William Murphy #18 and get the process started on him.

Hi,
    Thank very much to DTCtyGrl and Mike.
    You have not forgotten my grandfather "William Murphy".
    More soon.
    Best wishes.
    Mary

I received this response today from the National Personnel Records Center informing me that their search for the military personnel files of William Murphy [[#1) was unsuccessful. They conclude that his file was destroyed in the 12 July 1973 fire.

However, they informed me that they were able to find his Final Pay Voucher and that a photocopy may be ordered for a $20.00 reproduction fee. But after reading their enclosed "Final Pay Voucher Fact Sheet", it appears that this document would not contain any information that would be useful for our search.

I have updated the Summary Page with this new information. Rather than expending any more effort on William Murphy #1 at this time, I will submit a SF-180 for William J. Murphy #18 as soon as I can.

----------------------------------------

J'ai reçu cette réponse aujourd'hui de la National Personnel Records Center m'informant que la recherche de fichiers du personnel militaire de William Murphy [[# 1) a échoué. Ils concluent que son dossier a été détruit dans les 12 Juillet 1973 le feu.

Toutefois, ils m'ont informé qu'ils étaient en mesure de trouver son dernier salaire et que les chèques d'une photocopie mai être commandés 20,00 $US pour une taxe de reproduction. Après la lecture de leur joint "Final salariale Bon Fact Sheet", il semble que ce document ne contient aucune information qui serait utile pour notre recherche.

Voici le résumé, mis Ã[ jour la page. Plutôt que de dépenser plus d'efforts sur William Murphy # 1 Ã[ ce moment-lÃ[, je vais présenter un SF-180 pour William J. Murphy # 18 dès que je le peux.

Curiosity got the better of me so I ordered William Murphy # 1's Final Pay Voucher. It came today and while it doesn't shed any new light on his overseas locations, it does confirm that he was assigned to the 107th Engineers of the US Army's 32nd Infantry Division. It also indicates that:

• his hometown was Larium, Michigan when he joined the Army on 20 September 1917
    • his final rank was Corporal
    • he returned to the US on 18 May 1919
    • his pay for the period 1-27 May 1919 was $95.28
    • he was mustered out of the Army at Camp Custer [[near Battle Creek, Michigan) on 27 May 1919
    • he was also given $28.20 travel pay to return home.

I will submit a SF-180 for William J. Murphy #18 as soon as I can find a block of free time

------------------------------

Curiosité obtenu le meilleur de moi pour que je classés William Murphy # 1's Final Pay Bon. Il est venu aujourd'hui et il ne doit pas jeter une nouvelle lumière sur ses emplacements Ã[ l'étranger, mais il confirme qu'il a été affecté Ã[ la 107e ingénieurs de l'armée américaine, la 32ème Division d'infanterie. Il indique également que:

• Sa ville natale a été Larium, au Michigan, où il rejoint l'armée le 20 Septembre 1917
    • De son classement final est le Caporal
    • Il est retourné aux États-Unis le 18 Mai 1919
    • Son salaire pour la période du 1-27 Mai 1919 était de $95,28
    • il a été libéré de l'armée Ã[ Camp Custer [[près de Battle Creek, Michigan) le 27 Mai 1919
    • Il a également été donnée Voyage payer $28,20 de rentrer chez eux.

Je vais présenter un SF-180 pour William J. Murphy # 18 dès que je peux trouver un bloc de temps libre

Dear Mike,
    Thank you very much for your wonderful work.
    I think " William Murphy" number one could be, perhaps, my grandfather. But we can not know if he was at Limoges in November 1918.
    Thank you very much one more time.
    Best wishes.
    Mary

I found this site on Google which offers information about William's [[#1) division.

http://www.32nd-division.org/history/ww1/32-ww1a.html
    Last edited by Lferg; September-05-09 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast