Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

The area really is coming along. I currently live right downtown, but when I am ready to purchase a home/condo, I am going to heavily consider Corktown. Now, if only I can convince the wife of the same.....I need to prove to her that this is a good place to live...my only concern is the school systems still....maybe private school is an option? I don't know.

Well isnt a Cornerstone school opening up on the Tiger Stadium site?

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    The area really is coming along. I currently live right downtown, but when I am ready to purchase a home/condo, I am going to heavily consider Corktown. Now, if only I can convince the wife of the same.....I need to prove to her that this is a good place to live...my only concern is the school systems still....maybe private school is an option? I don't know.
    Most Holy Trinity. I guess for high school - Cabrini downriver? If you're really against Papism and you're loaded, you can do Waldorf or Friends School.

My main concern for the greater downtown area is that crime is still sky-high. Until it is brought to reasonable levels, no reason to get slappy.

Reasonable levels? No more broad daylight shootings of innocent people each week. Not too much to ask, and I don't care what anyone says about living in an urban area, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

It's the economy. The last time crime was like this [[and actually, even worse than this), I was a teenager and we were coming out of our last major recession. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, crime was seriously off the chain. People were getting carjacked and killed on a regular basis. My dad even foiled an attempted carjacking in our driveway in either '94 or '95.

Crime dropped in Detroit towards the late 1990s, and one of the reasons I believe it did was because the economy was better. 10-12 years ago, there was quite a bit of optimism about the city's prospects.

As I said at length on another thread, we can't just wish that crime would go down. We need proactive solutions and deterrents, and we need people to put as much effort into those as into urban gardening and microfinanced small businesses.
    Last edited by English; December-17-10 at 09:22 AM.

Default Cornerstone School on the Tiger Stadium Site?

That's by no means a done deal.
    The DEGC has yet to indicate its preference for any redevelopment proposal at Michigan and Trumbull.

Someday it may.
    But when is anybody's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by HarperNottingham View Post
    That's by no means a done deal.
    The DEGC has yet to indicate its preference for any redevelopment proposal at Michigan and Trumbull.

Someday it may.
    But when is anybody's guess.
    I'd rather see something besides a private or charter school on the Tiger Stadium site... aren't there any vacant schools in the area that could be reused, rather than build anew? Or does Corktown need a school?

I just don't think that a school is the best choice for a main street. Schools usually are more likely to be built in the neighborhoods, rather than on a main artery.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Reasonable levels? No more broad daylight shootings of innocent people each week. Not too much to ask, and I don't care what anyone says about living in an urban area, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.
    Are there really THAT many random shootings of "innocent" people? seems like a pretty rare event when the victim is a stranger to the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    My main concern for the greater downtown area is that crime is still sky-high. Until it is brought to reasonable levels, no reason to get slappy.

What are you considering "greater downtown"? Do you have stats for the crimes in those areas that support the downtown is crime-ridden hypothesis?