Immigrants love southeast Michigan - housing is cheap and it's proving pretty easy for a lot of folks to start businesses. In fact some of the immigrant groups have their own de facto business incubators.

The biggest thing America has to do is to stop fighting this phenomenon! Immigrants enrich us and many of them are willing to work harder than many of us.

The term "illegal immigrant" tells you that we are taking the wrong approach; the very idea that we would use such a term. The law an "illegal immigrant" is breaking is that he does not have the proper piece of paper. When my grandmother and my great-grandmother came here from Italy, without papers [[since the Italian government was not giving such papers freely), they were classified as "undocumented aliens".

Note the subtle shift in terminology; if only George Carlin were alive to remark upon it. My grandmother in 1924 was "undocumented"; the same child in the same circumstances today is "illegal".

By the way, my undocumented-alien grandmother ran a successful grocery business for 50 years and never collected a nickel of government money of any kind, like most newcomers to our shores.