Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for all the suggestions, went to Red Wagon on Rochester Road and it was fantastic. The best selection I've ever seen of everything you could think of that contains alcohol. Their stock is out in the open, not behind a counter, you can pick up the bottles, fondle and massage them to your hearts content. Again, thanks to everyone for the consideration.

Again, out of curiosity, are Michigan Taverns and restaurants subject to the same control? Do some people have a hard time finding drinking establishments that serve their favorite Rye or Scotch liquors? Seems strange.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Again, out of curiosity, are Michigan Taverns and restaurants subject to the same control? Do some people have a hard time finding drinking establishments that serve their favorite Rye or Scotch liquors? Seems strange.
    Yes, bars and restaurants are under the same control. You will find a much better selection at a good bar in Chicago than one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    You can get the Sazerac 6-year-old rye [[90 proof, and I agree it's excellent) at Holiday Market in Royal Oak. They also have the Ri-1 and the Russell's Reserve rye, I believe.

I believe the Rittenhouse BIB [[100 proof) is considered the best quality for the price among rye connoisseurs. It's really about time the Rittenhouse was made available in Michigan.

Rye really needs to carry a higher proof [[90 or above) to achieve the spice and boldness that brings out the true character of the spirit. Years ago, O.O. was available in 100 proof and it was incredible. Nowadays, Jim Beam owns the Overholt brand, and Beam is letting it languish. I don't care for the Beam rye; it's a bit pedestrian. The Wild Turkey rye [[101 proof) offers adequate heat and bite and is decent.

Note that Bulleit bourbon carries a high rye content [[above 30 percent) in its mashbill, so it can often be substituted for a straight rye. I like it quite a bit and it makes a great Manhattan.

Downriviera, you like rum? Have you tried Zacapa yet [[from Guatemala)? It is fantastic.
    Have not tried the Zacapa yet. I'll put it on my list. I also want to try Botran, which is from the same distiller in Guatemala. Zacapa XO is the rum of the month on ministryofrum.com. Store by my house has a bottle of Thomas Handy Sazerac rye, I think its 20 yr old, for $70. Might be my Christmas gift to myself.

on a slightly related topic; does anyone know if any of these places stock kirsch? [ze german black cherry clear brandy]

Quote Originally Posted by rsa.313 View Post
    on a slightly related topic; does anyone know if any of these places stock kirsch? [ze german black cherry clear brandy]
    I think Champagne's carries it. They have large sections of liquors and wines divided up by country - Japan, Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece, etc...

Makin' fondue?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I think Champagne's carries it. They have large sections of liquors and wines divided up by country - Japan, Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece, etc...

Makin' fondue?
    ha ha. actually, trying to do a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. thanx for the recommendation.

I was employed by the MLCC for the 1st 20 years of my Civil Service Career,before the State Liquor Stores were privatized in January of 1997.If you want to find a particular brand of liquor go to the Micigan.Gov website and bring up the Liquor Control Commission website.Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the MLCC online services section.Hit the searchable pricebook selection.When the page comes up you'll see "liquor type" and hit on the blue arrow next to where it says Alchol.Hit on Cognac or whatever you prefer,hit the submit selection and you can find whatever type of liquor your heart desires.You'll see the on premise price[[bar-Class "C" ) Off premise[[Liquor store-Class "SDD") and the SDD shelf price.The SDD shelf price is the lowest price that can legally be charged,but anything over and above that is allowed.That is the reason you'll see liquor stores in the city with signs saying "State Minimum Prices"If they charge more all you have to do is drive a couple blocks down and try another store.Having the SDD shelf price for any type of booze you want helps when you want something that isn't usually available.The Licensee can order the liquor for you and usually it will take anywhere from a week to a couple of weeks,especially if it is one of the rarer types of liquor.Some types of liquor only come in a single case due to the cost.For example check out a 1750ML bottle of Remy Martin Louis XIII at the SDD shelf price of $31,999.59.That doesn't include the 6% sales tax.That is added on to the $32,000 price tag.When I was laid off and the Operations Division of the LCC was privatized this little item was quietly put into place."Look we got rid of 400 state employees,closed 63 stores and warehouses AND lowered the price of liquor too"bringing the price of liquor inline with neighboring states.The SDD shelf price used to have the 6% sales tax added so that whatever the shelf price said was what you paid for the bottle.Now it is added on to the SDD shelf price.No savings there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2