Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Dental care without insurance?

Does anyone know of a low cost dental center or dentist in the Metro Detroit area? My 20 year old needs his wisdom teeth pulled and he has no insurance so he will have to pay cash. Last place he called wanted $300 per tooth, he cannot afford that on his pizza clerk salary.

There is a list of places at the MI state website but the list is really short and none of them are local enough. I'll call the few that are there but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any personal experience.

Thanks!

I highly recommend the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. Neighbors and family members have and continue to use their services.

http://www.dent.umich.edu/patientservices

Now that you mention it, UDM has a great dental school also. The clinic is at the Mercy Campus.

Although they don't do wisdom tooth extractions, Sears Dental is good at working with people without insurance. They are very professsional and just as good as any other dental office. And no, they don't use Sears Craftsman drills.

See if CareCredit is available in Michigan. It is an extended payment credit plan that is working well for me to cover the amount my insurance doesn't on my full mouth of extractions and upper denture and lower partial. I think the link is www.carecredit.com More and more dentists here in Minnesota are offering this as an option to patients with and without insurance. I can have 2000 charged to their service and pay 112 a month for 18 months interest free.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    See if CareCredit is available in Michigan. It is an extended payment credit plan that is working well for me to cover the amount my insurance doesn't on my full mouth of extractions and upper denture and lower partial. I think the link is www.carecredit.com More and more dentists here in Minnesota are offering this as an option to patients with and without insurance. I can have 2000 charged to their service and pay 112 a month for 18 months interest free.

We do have CareCredit here, and I highly recommend it for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Now that you mention it, UDM has a great dental school also. The clinic is at the Mercy Campus.
    Didn't UDM move to the Michigan Osteopathic Hospital Campus?

U of D /Mercy does dental work. I had some very difficult extractions done for $80 each.

When i was a kid my parents told me that if I didn't brush my teeth they would go bad and have to be pulled. They said since they could not afford this they would tie a string around my bad tooth and the other end to a door knob and slam the door to pull the tooth. Scared the crap out of me so I always brushed.

Detwa- Are the wisdom teeth protruding, or are they still under the gum? If they are not under the gum [[which would require an oral surgeon), my dentist friend can help.

Detwa - go to: julieslist.homestead.com/Index.html. Look under Adult Dental Resources. Good luck to you, kiddo!

I can do it, my dads a tv repairman and hes got an awesome set of tools.

But seriously, I had a couple pulled at U of M, not a bad price and my mouth still works. They wont let you take your teeth home with you though.

Can't take your teeth home???? That's no fun. They are cheating you out of tooth fairy cash!!! My dentist gives me mine if I want them...but I just take the ones with the gold fillings or gold crowns.

Thanks for all of the resources, everyone! I will pass these on to my son - you know how its an emergency when its killing you but if the pain subsides then so does the emergency. Now he's hemming and hawing about it so I have to push him to still take care of it because it will return.

REL, I'll ask him if the teeth are protruding, and report back later.

Doesn't CareCredit require a line of credit, or rather, isn't that basically applying for credit? I don't think that's an option for him at this point.

I'd forgotten about the college dental schools!

Carecredit is a line of credit. The standards to be approved are pretty low, but one is on the hook to pay unless they declare bankruptcy later....