Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here's one way out of the many math requirements. If you're taking any Liberal Arts courses:

1. Take the Math Proficiency Exam and play dumb! Answer some elementary Algebraic equations: Than you will received a E-mail message telling that you need to take MAT 0993.

2. Take the computer based MAT 0993 and on-line homework in the lab or home. Then play dumb and fail the course immediately with a 50% in the Final Exam.

3. Take Dr. Steven Khan's Rising Scholars or Emerging Scholars Course. You must take their proficiency exam. Answer the equations that you know. Don't make it too easy. Then you're accepted. CAVEAT PAEDAGOGVS! Their rules are super strict! You MUST be in your assigned class on time. You MUST attend those workshops on time. You CANNOT miss more than 9 homework assignments and 5 journals or you automatically FAIL the course with UNC. You MUST, you MUST, you MUST, pass ALL quizzes, 4 exams and FINALS with a 70% or more or automatically FAIL the course. The RSP and ESP don't care about your excuses, so play along and always agree with your math teacher. Seek help from your tutor and friends, don't delay. You may have to make some personal sacrifices in order to pass the RSP ansd ESP course. Think of these college programs like your career and than your can go play.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

There are more short cuts to education to come without cheating.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; December-14-10 at 08:38 AM.

I am in the math program at WSU right now. All the math classes I need is through MAT 1000, for my Urban Studies major. I grew up in Rochester and the math that they teach in this Math 1000 class is nothing new. It is pretty similar to the math I was taught in 10th grade. If someone goes to class everyday and reviews just a small amount, they should be alright in that class. Also, WSU has tutors that can help people struggling with math.

As an urban planning major, you should be required to take math through plane trigonometry and at least six SH of statistics. You should also have a semester of surveying and a semester of topographic mapping. This in addition to the "touchy-feely" courses you have to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    This is a very interesting artivle about Wayne State students failing the math requirement. I recall that I took an exam before 9/11/01 and a passing grade allowed me to "circumvent" the standard math course and take a sort of replacement if you will. I do recall the foreign language requirement to be very difficult. That said, WSU's standards seem to be much higher and more difficult than let's say Oakland or Eastern. What is your take on Wayne State's math requirement?
    That sounds like me! I always struggled with all math [[except for geometry) in elementary and high school. The key to learning it was not in a typical math class. I learned more in college from courses such as physics, statistics and cartography than I had learned in the 12 years of grade/high school. The difference was learning it in a context that interested me. Algebra and trig finally meant something when not being taught in the abstract and used to solve real problems! By the time I took the WSU [[21 years ago) math test I blew through it with no pressure.

The foreign language requirement was tough, but it made me a lot more disciplined. It took me three times to get through FRE 101, but I got through the third one with an A, FRE 102 I aced as well. FRE 201 I got a C but I was not going to let the frenchies stop me dammit so I took it again. The result? A C, but also a lesson in humility, and to learn to accept that sometimes mediocrity is good enough for something you really have no interest in.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-14-10 at 09:30 AM.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No, I didn't miss a point.

Fluff is fluff. A way for colleges to get more tuition dollars by making people take unrelated classes.
    I think it just speaks volumes about you that you believe a well-rounded education is "fluff."

Countless fields want individuals are not simply automatons. They want people who are educated, not simply trained. You can train a fucking dog.

Oh yeah, I have a Lib Arts Degree, complete with all the fluff [[read: education) and as a result I am gainfully employed and have been moving up-up-up during these past 2 years.

This is just more proof for HR and managment to only keep hiring students who graduate from a top 50 university or from a foreign university where they recieve a real education.

Fluff is fluff. A way for colleges to get more tuition dollars by making people take unrelated classes.
    Then go to ITT Tech or Walsh. Or an "Engineering Technology" track in a regular university. They teach you exactly what you need to know for a particular career, if that's all you care about.

A university education tells potential employers that you are capable of learning a variety of skills and adapting to a variety of thought systems. For high-skill trades, this is pretty important, as you are often doing multi-discipline work and have to learn quite a bit on the job.

I know that you can take the CLEP as a loophole to get credit without taking the class and satisfy the requirement. I has roughly 15 or 20 CLEP credit hours applied in school.

Everyone also seems to to stress the importance of math and how the "creative" types and soft majors are unable to perform well in math course. However, on the flip side, it seems rare that you will find an engineering or math major who can write properly. Take my math-centric oldercousin for example. He was able to get through UM and Michigan Tech with degrees in mathematics, yet he couldn't write to save his life. He almost flunked his basic English courses. As a matter of fact, he was passed over for several job promotions because his writing skills were so bad. This is a guy who was doing college-level calculus in the 7th grade.
    Last edited by Patrick; December-14-10 at 05:33 PM.

If you can't do basic algebra, you have no business earning a Bachelor's degree. Period. At my undergraduate school, you have to pass a semester of calculus to get a B.A. I took algebra in 8th grade, for goodness sake. This is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    If you can't do basic algebra, you have no business earning a Bachelor's degree. Period. At my undergraduate school, you have to pass a semester of calculus to get a B.A. I took algebra in 8th grade, for goodness sake. This is not rocket science.
    +1, people need to stop complaining about classes and EARN their education.

Suck it up if you want to become educated.

Default Requirements

We use Math more frequently than we know, in everything from figuring out the best deal on a house or car; analyzing a map for directions or even 'playing the percentages' in probability.

Just by using it everyday it is much easier to interpret. My well rounded education would have been completed quicker had I not taken Phil 100 or 'Courtwatching' as an elective. Yet I have been a Substitute Teacher in Math, and have tutored in the subject for Adult Education.

My dad [[an engineer) never really gave me a hands-on about the subject, and being an A student- I had to wing it. The frustration comes when I'm making the company all this money getting it from you and not getting in return.

I can't say that I disagree. I ended up teaching middle school math when I first arrived at DPS, much to my dismay. I always hated math, but I was very good at it, took AP Calculus and also took calculus in college [[although after Calculus II, I admit, it was a struggle to continue). My principal needed someone in the building to cover 2 classes, started looking over staff transcripts, and called me in.

At my undergrad school, all that was required for the English major was Math Concepts I & II. It took a while before my department chair would accept that I'd already fulfilled the math requirement... um, Calculus > Math Concepts.

Again, I hate math with a passion, but definitely appreciate the math instruction that I received. Part of schooling should be learning how to slog through things that are hard and undergraduate education is no different.

If you can't do basic algebra, you have no business earning a Bachelor's degree.

Horsepuckey.

But then I don't believe any degree should be required for about 80% of the job market. Unless you're in a specialty field like law, engineering, medicine science, and so on.

Why should a cashier at Radio Shack be required to have a degree?

Why should a records clerk at a Courthouse be required to have a degree?

Business can take people in with basic skills and train them within.

Colleges are about money for the staff and the head honchos, but they've managed to con too many people into thinking they are a necessity for you to even be able to flip burgers or change linens in a hotel. It's all about keeping themselves employed.

I can't quote the source now, but I've heard that only about 40-50% of HS grads go on to any college classes and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't lower than that.

If you can't do basic algebra, you have no business earning a Bachelor's degree.

Horsepuckey.

But then I don't believe any degree should be required for about 80% of the job market. Unless you're in a specialty field like law, engineering, medicine science, and so on.

Why should a cashier at Radio Shack be required to have a degree?

Why should a records clerk at a Courthouse be required to have a degree?

Business can take people in with basic skills and train them within.

Colleges are about money for the staff and the head honchos, but they've managed to con too many people into thinking they are a necessity for you to even be able to flip burgers or change linens in a hotel. It's all about keeping themselves employed.

I can't quote the source now, but I've heard that only about 40-50% of HS grads go on to any college classes and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't lower than that.
    It is around 38%, and Europe has similar numbers with that stat. So what though?

You are right, if you want to be a burger flipper or a radio shack guy you don't need to go to college. So don't get one.

But you won't be receiving an education of any sort, which if you don't want to that is fine. If you want to aspire to something more though, then an education is required. For instance, you aren't going to become a physician or a psychologist without one.

For instance, you aren't going to become a physician or a psychologist without one.
    No problem with that.

But you DO have to have a degree to be a cashier at Radio Shack or to be a records clerk at a courthouse and a number of other 'menial' jobs, none of which makes any sense.

No problem with that.

But you DO have to have a degree to be a cashier at Radio Shack or to be a records clerk at a courthouse and a number of other 'menial' jobs, none of which makes any sense.
    Yes I already said you don't, so apply to those jobs without an education. Then when you are compared to someone who already has a degree, may the best man win right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2