Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    You don't seem to be interested in discussing solutions to the problem so much as whining about "why do I have to deal with this, this shouldn't be my problem, it's not fair!"
    I'd love to point out the last line of my original post:

"I would love to hear your thoughts. What can be done? Can anything be done? No idea too outlandish! Let’s hear it!"

Really sounds like I'm not interested in hearing and discussing solutions to the problem.

Besides antifreeze, mass murder and Detroitnerd's Jonathan Swift Modest Proposal-like offerings, there really haven't been many "solutions" thrown out.

Sorry the thread has not turned out the way YOU would have wanted.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Sorry the thread has not turned out the way YOU would have wanted.
    I don't bother deciding in advance how threads in message boards ought to turn out. It's a waste of time. If I see a post that interests me, I respond. If not, I don't. I think that's much the best way to handle discussions like these. If you have a different method that works for you, by all means use it.

When in Michigan.

I'll see your 4 pit bulls and raise you a wolverine.

Attachment 8061

Seriously though, I don't know of any community that doesn't have some kind of restrictions about pit bulls. Generally there's at least an ordinance for properly secured. Have you tried calling or complaining to animal control rather than the police.
    Good luck, I'd be pissed off too.

Personal responsibility is one of those things that it's hard to be against. But I have to agree with Augustiner: As the years go by, you notice that it's most often used as a cudgel to beat up on have-nots.

When our big bankers had pretty much crashed their companies trading in lots of junk "products" that didn't work, did anybody step forward and say, "I am responsible," and go to jail? Did they accept the bitter pill and declare bankruptcy? Of course, nobody used the term "personal responsibility" to describe them. They're powerful and rich, and that term is exclusively reserved for poor people.

Maybe if you stepped back a bit and looked at it from a wider social perspective -- and steered clear of buzzwords like PR -- it would be a better, broader discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Most Michigan men? Ever been up the thumb?

That is funny considering my initial post in this thread.

I was just reminded of a story I heard recently.

You need a GOAT, Ham.

It is at least one step higher on the food chain from pit bulls.

Just ask Cub!

Get a Donkey. People use them to protect their sheep from wolves, I'm confident they can handle a wee lil pitbull. If the city don't give a shit about these dogs in your yard, they shouldn't mind your Donkey. Plus, you can pick up a Donkey for the price of a dog!
    One kick will cave that dogs face in, litteraly. A Donkey is so aware of it's surroundings, even a gang of pitbulls would never have the oppertunity to get a shot that the throat. I love pitbulls...all dogs really, but people need to take responsablilty and train them right. By their names though you know they're trouble and probably only protecting drugs in the house.

Good luck Ham.

Pitbulls = poodles on meth.
    Pitbulls with names like that = poodles on a cocktail of benzedrine, crystal meth, Jack Daniels and cough syrup.

It sounds like no one knows each other in the neighborhood. I read suggestions to talk to your neighbor about getting money for the fence, but why not talk to your neighbor in general. Try small talk like "how bout dem Lions?", "what were you cooking the other day, that smelled good?"

From the posts, it seems like you avoid your neighbor. I am not suggesting you have anything in common, but some Christmas cookies might put a human element to the fence that is being destroyed.

If you had to pick a house on the street to throw an egg at, and all things being equal, I bet you wouldn't choose the cheery neighbor that says "good morning" and brought you over cookies.

Chances are they won't change even if you reach out your hand of neighborly friendship, but it is really not an expensive proposition to try.

Have a block party in the summer.

Take the dog to belle isle and leave it there,
    or leave a dish of car antifreeze open in your yard.

"Antifreeze is a coolant used in cars that is deadly to cats and dogs even in small doses. Dogs especially like the taste of antifreeze because it is somewhat sweet. Almost all commercially made antifreeze contains the ethylene glycol [[EG) that is so toxic to cats and dogs. Just 1 teaspoon can kill a small cat and 1 ounce can kill a 15 pound dog."

And of course the quote above is my encouragement not to leave an open dish of antifreeze in YOUR yard to kill any trespassing pit bulls.

I just read some more posts.

Umm, I agree that the dogs are not the issue.
    You/we live in a community where pit-bulls are okay if not glorified.
    One some level dogs reflect the idealized personalities of their owners.

Why do you have to deal with it?
    Because our society contains the types of people who want to name their dog Corrupt.

I feel your pain and wish for the best.

Just the title of this thread is ridiculous. Who isn't for 'personal responsibility' and their own 'happiness'? Defining those things is the making of the sausage. Politicians [[and who demonstrates less personal responsibility than politicians?) have made this phrase the joke AND the punchline.

While I tend towards the liberal side of alot of the discussion here, [[i.e. I believe welfare is necessary and I see no way to fairly reduce the aid without affecting the innocent children for whom is was intended. I do wish there was a way to do a few things that seem obvious like not allow ing Pop / Soda to be purchased with credits though), I have to agree that more than race or financial situation, it seems to be a generational thing when it come to personal resposibility. YOu will see it is usually the older folks who have the best maintained properties, and take care of their places better. I have found this to be the case in my neighborhood regardless of race or income. I am not sure how to instill this sense of responsiblity on my generation, but alot of us just don't have it. I blame DVRs and cable TV. I would at least 5-10 times more productive without it, but I am hooked. I still manage to keep my yard clean and try to respect my neighbors wishes and rights to happiness.

How about throw a strip of firecrackers at the dog to scare him $hitless? A good 4-5 times of this and he might not want to come back into your yard in the future. Plus it might get the neighbors attention too...... in a harmless way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3