Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You mean the .22 on the dog and the 9mm on the neighbor right?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Where I grew up, we pulled out a .22 and shot unwanted animals. Once this relationship is established, your neighbors will think twice about letting their pets run off the leash.
    Wouldn't suggest doing that, unless you [[the shooter I mean) enjoys jail.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Those of you who have read my posts would more than likely agree that most of them carry a tone similar to that of an old man shouting at children to stay off his lawn. This post is no different.

However, instead of shouting at children to stay off my lawn, I am shouting at one of my neighbor’s 4 pitbulls to stay off. Yesterday, Corrupt, yes the dog’s name is Corrupt, decided to punch through my wooden fence for the 5th time in less than a year. In case you are wondering the other dogs are named Felony, Convict, and Rumor.

So, because somehow it has become my responsibility to keep their dogs in their yard, I head out in the snow with freshly ripped fence boards and make the repairs.

As I froze my ass off, I grew increasingly angry and a figurative piece of sand firmly planted itself under my skin. A grain of sand that has grown in to this pearl of a post.

In short-Why the hell is it my responsibility to cover the costs tied to the happiness of others? My assumption is that these dogs bring my neighbors some degree of happiness. Who knows, perhaps they were court ordered to raise these animals, but I doubt it.

The neighbors will not maintain the fence, the city will not seize the animals, and it’s not worth fighting in small claims court. Where is my recourse? It looks like, as it often occurs in Detroit, I have no other option but to live down to the lowest common denominator.

This “living down” runs rampant in the city of Detroit. Alarm systems, bars on windows, picking wind blown garbage out of your yard, taxes, increased insurance rates and more are tangible costs we pay for the happiness of others.

Case in point, I stopped by the party store after fixing the fence. I stood in line behind a fella who peeled off a sawbuck to pay for his pint of congress vodka only after using his bridge card to pay for his 2-liter of Faygo. I know this is not a rare occurrence but coupled with Corrupt’s jail break, I was fuming.

Then it hit me-every week a big bag of dog food makes its way into the income-adjusted house of my neighbors. Who’s paying for that? I know they already use a bridge card-I discovered this after a knock down drag out over the card in the front yard this summer after it was discovered that someone had used up all the credits in the first two weeks of the month.

Don’t get me wrong-I believe in the attainment of happiness at all costs-until you begin spreading the costs of your own happiness onto the shoulders of others.

So how do we do this Detroit? How do we ignite the fire of personal responsibility? How do we reinstate the laws of cause and effect? How do we turn down the spigot? How do we show the benefit of actually earning what you have?

Random drug and alcohol screenings for anyone receiving “entitlements” or welfare? [[People are already screaming bloody murder by disallowing smoking in public housing.) Disallow pets in the homes of welfare recipients? Reduce welfare payments to families with children earning poor grades? Sterilization for those deemed unfit parents? Deny voting rights for non-tax payers? Place a refundable deposit on McDonalds hamburger wrappers, Big Chug bottles and Funyon bags?

We could just sit back and let the problem take care of itself. Keep throwing money at the problem while those who care [[tax payers and home owners with a vested interest) leave thereby shrinking the tax base and available funds to throw at the problem, creating bigger problems which pushes more out which... and on and on and on until there is nothing left and nobody to care.

I would love to hear your thoughts. What can be done? Can anything be done? No idea too outlandish! Let’s hear it!
    If it makes you feel any better, It's not just in Detroit. I have neighbors who once moved in let their dogs run loose after dark to use the neighborhood as their toilet. When confronted I was told the dogs would not poop in their own back yard. I began tossing it back in places that they would step in it. Finally stopped after the dogs were fed a laxative that caused a mess in their house. They are now transported to another area [[probably a playground) to to crap. Still looking to cure them from peeing on the bushes.

Don't want to blame the victim, but I'm having trouble imagining a wood fence that my GSD would just pop a hole through, even if she jumped on it daily. What the heck is going on? Are they constantly head butting the fence like billygoats or what?

However, I don't have trouble imagining serious violence occurring if someone poisoned my dog for going through a hole in the backyard fence as Gistok is suggesting.

Yeah, agreed you say the dog "punched" through the fence. How does a dog do that?

Nevertheless, your neighbor sounds like a jerk, and you sound like a good person. I also agree that welfare recipients should be taking drug tests etc.

Next time dog is in your yard, leave your gate open.
    Dog obviously likes to roam, yes it adds to the problem
    but the dog would not be in your yard. Maybe the other dogs would follow also.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Next time dog is in your yard, leave your gate open.
    Dog obviously likes to roam, yes it adds to the problem
    but the dog would not be in your yard. Maybe the other dogs would follow also.

Careful. If he knows the dog is there and opens the gate he could be liable. A HUGE Rotweiller ended up in our backyard. My husband corralled it so that it wouldn't be free to eat small children and called animal control. It was after business hours so they wouldn't come, but told us not to let it out because we would be held responsible. The police eventually came a few hours later [[we were impressed)and said the only thing they could do was shoot it or just wait for animal control in the morning. Animal control never showed, but someone [[owner?) did sneak back there and get the dog.

Long story short-- find a way to keep the dog off your property or at least document it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Pitbulls in the yard,anti-freeze in a dish.Here puppy,puppy.Works on cats too.Or just shoot all your undesirables within a two block area.A safe zone.The crime most likely won't be sovled,and the crime rate for your part of town will go down a lot!SATIRE,poorly written and poorly stated.I do feel your pain.Just ask about a million others who have voted with their feet.

Try soaking some steaks in anti freeze. It will be the last you see of them. Maybe your a hole neighbors will eat the steaks. Problem gone.

The problem that hamtown mike is having comes down to the owner of the dogs. While the dogs themselves are producing the problems with his fence, this is a direct result of poor decision making by the owners. I don't think that poisoning the dogs and putting them through the agony that would come with that is a proper response to this issue, but I've seen more than one post suggesting that this or other solutions that would bring harm to the dogs is the answer. Just to be clear on my position, I personally think pit bulls are too aggressive a breed to be considered safe as pets, but even so, I have a real problem with people who suggest that feeding them antifreeze or having them get ripped to shreds with barbed wire is a logical solution to any situation involving any dog problem.

9mile&seneca Guest

Random drug and alcohol screenings for anyone receiving “entitlements” or welfare? [[People are already screaming bloody murder by disallowing smoking in public housing.) Disallow pets in the homes of welfare recipients? Reduce welfare payments to families with children earning poor grades? Sterilization for those deemed unfit parents? Deny voting rights for non-tax payers? Place a refundable deposit on McDonalds hamburger wrappers, Big Chug bottles and Funyon bags?

Yes! Yes! Hell Yes! Substitute parents on wefare for "unfit parents"

9mile&seneca Guest

Or how about no one under 65 or not in a wheel chair in public housing.

I had similar issues with two sets of neighbors who occupied the same house at different times. The first had two large dogs who use my front lawn to take dumps on. The mother of the family was co-operative in trying to correct the situation but when she wasn't home, the others just let the dogs run free at the front of the house. What I did was collect all the dog feces on my front lawn and pile it on the steps of their porch and front door. That got their attention and they got with the program.

The second set of neighbors in the same house had a pit bull that ran free in their backyard and would make it's way thru the old fencing between the two properties in the back yard. I ended up working with a nine-year-old girl from next door in mending holes in the fencing while her older brothers did nothing. The pit bull was friendly and didn't get thru the fencing as often. I found it best to try and work with someone who is sympathetic and approach the neighbor as sharing a common problem rather than be confrontational altho' I was a bit of both. Don't do anything to harm the dogs. It's their owners who are the irresponsible parties in this matter. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Don't want to blame the victim, but I'm having trouble imagining a wood fence that my GSD would just pop a hole through, even if she jumped on it daily. What the heck is going on? Are they constantly head butting the fence like billygoats or what?
    E-Detroit and Hogz-

The caliber of my fence is not a point of debate for the sake of this post. However I can assure you that it [[a 4 inch wide 1/2 thick 4 foot tall slat stockade style fence run on two 2x4's attached to 4x4's every 6 feet sunk in to concrete no less than 4 feet in depth) is maintained in a reasonable manner with bi-annual weather proofings. Then again even if I chose to construct my fence out of dental floss, its quality still would not be open for debate-because it is not my responsibility to keep their dog in their yard.

And those responses are exactly what is so messed up about the area, and the center of my gripe-why am I being bridled with the cost and responsibility [[and questioned over the quality of my efforts) to maintain my neighbor's happiness?

So,how does the dog get through the fence? My BIL has a standard stockade style privacy fence, and between the pitbull next door and his hyperactive 20 pound barkmeister, they kept digging UNDER the fence. BIL would put cement blocks on his side. Finally one day, the barkmeister followed the pit back under the fence and the pitbull tried to eat him. 70 stitches. The pitbull owner had to put some kind of barrier at the bottom of the fence, since it was determined it was the pit that dug the hole. Also the dog could not be outside unsupervised, since he had also got out onto the street and challenged two different ladies walking their kids down the sidewalk.

If they can have some kind of reactive protection like this, it would be a step in the right direction. This was in Orlando, FWIW.

It comes down to this. Either you're willing to talk to your neighbors and try to get some money out of them for the fence repairs or you're like most Michigan men I know and you don't want to confront your neighbors over this. If the former's the case then, depending on how convincing you are, it might require small claims court and you might be on the news for a ridiculous neighbor feud. If the latter is more you, then build a nice big wooden fence.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    It comes down to this. Either you're willing to talk to your neighbors and try to get some money out of them for the fence repairs or you're like most Michigan men I know and you don't want to confront your neighbors over this. If the former's the case then, depending on how convincing you are, it might require small claims court and you might be on the news for a ridiculous neighbor feud. If the latter is more you, then build a nice big wooden fence.
    I agree with this. However, I don't quite get the swipe at Michigan men.

9mile&seneca Guest

Most Michigan men? Ever been up the thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Most Michigan men? Ever been up the thumb?
    Shoot first, ask questions later?

9mile&seneca Guest

Ready, shoot, aim

9mile&seneca Guest

I think the use of force continuiem is: Louisville Slugger, then shotgun.
    Last edited by 9mile&seneca; December-14-10 at 03:05 PM.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Ever been up the thumb?
    Nope, and now I don't think I'm going to.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    It's like people just want to flap their gums and not read to understand. I did not turn to detroityes for advice on how to handle unruly, ignorant and jack-assed neighbors or their dogs. I know all about antifreeze.

I was hoping to ignite a conversation about personal responsibility and how the lack thereof is destroying the city. Further I had hoped to point out that we as a society are responsible for having suspended the rules of cause and effect.

It's time. You f around in school, you chose dope over homework, or your parents don't push you-accept your fate-and accept it with your hand out of my pocket.

Love,
    the dumb f@#&er that played by the rules
    while others just played

Buy American Guest

It's like people just want to flap their gums and not read to understand. I did not turn to detroityes for advice on how to handle unruly, ignorant and jack-assed neighbors or their dogs. I know all about antifreeze.

I was hoping to ignite a conversation about personal responsibility and how the lack thereof is destroying the city. Further I had hoped to point out that we as a society are responsible for having suspended the rules of cause and effect.

It's time. You f around in school, you chose dope over homework, or your parents don't push you-accept your fate-and accept it with your hand out of my pocket.

Love,
    while others just played
    "What does that have to do with anything? This is about taking responsibility for ones self and ones actions. It doesn't take a lot of brains to know that my pit bull doesn't belong in someone elses' yard...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that caring about a neighbor or others is important. That's the whole problem with people today...it's not my responsibility, it's not my job, I'm entitled to this, I don't have to...and on and on."

I heard ya hamtownmike.

Love,
    while others just played
    I think most agree you which is why solutions were offered. You're correct about personal responsibility but all the right in the world isn't going to keep your fence intact.

If someone chooses dope over homework, do you really think his/her next logical step is going to being his/her hand out of your pocket? Again, you can be right all day, but it doesn't mean that you're going to be successful.

Augustiner Guest

Love,
    while others just played
    We have indeed suspended the rules of cause and effect, but not at all in the way you seem to be implying.

We've suppressed social mobility. If you're born into the wrong place, social class, or, yes, skin color, playing by the rules isn't going to do you anywhere near as much good as it does people born into the "right" circumstances. What happens when you do that is people stop trying. There's some cause and effect for you. Drive a wedge between the haves and the have-nots, and, well, the have-nots aren't stupid, they can see what's going on as well as anybody. We've been slashing the social safety net to threadbare shreds for thirty years, and all it's done is made people even more hopeless and desperate. Personal responsibility rhetoric plays well with the voters during election season, but that's more or less the limit of its effectiveness.

You don't seem to be interested in discussing solutions to the problem so much as whining about "why do I have to deal with this, this shouldn't be my problem, it's not fair!" Well, guess what, life isn't fair, and if some asshole neighbors are the worst problem you have in your life, then life is a hell of a lot fairer to you than it is to a lot of other folks around here.

Sorry the thread didn't turn out like you wanted. Better luck next time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast