Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Seems you keep ducking the question. The paraphrased facts, as stated by you:

1. Kids now are candy-asses, don't do anything, etc
    2. It is the fault of their parents.

I'm curious how you can ignore the fact that your generation raised those poor parents. I'm also curious how why you absolve your generation of any blame of obviously being poor parents that raised children who, in turn became poor parents.

Of course it is typical for you to either deflect or ignore when asked direct questions.
    Here, allow me......
    "Fu#@ you! I got mine"

Must be my aging brain was it Socrates or Plato that wondered what was wrong with the new generation?

Yeah and I am one of those Moms who protected my kids by buying Helmets, shin guards, jock straps, kept them home when they were sick, did the parent teacher conference thing, helped with homework, fought school teachers who were incompetent and praised those teachers who were fantastic. In short, I was super over protective.

I would never have let them attend school if the temps were this low and they needed to travel far distance to school.

Guess what, the kids turned out just fine. Not the candy asses implied.

Pretty much each generation sets its own standards. Accepting their parents values and discarding what didn't work for them.

I like todays kids. They just need to forge their own path. Not freezing at a bus stop is a wise choice.

Ravine Guest

Well, you folks have already seen my willingness to mercilessly excoriate the Boomers, and I'm one of them.
    But, regardless of who is permitted to share in the blame, it's a fact that the current crop of young adults are "candy-asses," and finding a culprit on whom to pin the responsibility won't help transform those asses from candy to wrought-iron.
    The way this bit is supposed to go is that each generation strives to be nothing like that of their parents. Bearing that in mind, "Gen X" should have turned out OK, but something went wrong.
    Perhaps in their feverish dedication to achieving lofty goals such as learning to be able to get Mario across the Lake of Fire without accidentally killing him and being forced to start the whole damned board over, they lost sight of the Big Picture, which is to defy each & every example set by your cursed, hopelessly out-of-touch-with-reality parents.
    So, let's look for a good result.
    Gen X fucked up, and missed their cruise on the U.S.S. Defy Thy Parents, while simultaneously coming to believe that the only price of failure is that of being forced to hear an annoying jingle before "starting over."
    Best Case Scenario:
    Gen Y will get their bearings, as a group, realize that it's High Time for another generational revolt, and will correctly deduce that the generations of both their parents and grand-parents are hideously lame when it comes to dealing with the real world, as well as being sinfully egocentric head-cases who can barely maintain a relationship of their own, much less show emotional strength in any more complicated crisis.

Good Luck, Guys & Dolls!!
    Last edited by Ravine; December-15-10 at 05:12 AM.

Guys and dolls? What a throw back to my parents generation. Love Sinatra by the way. One of the useless young folk that you denigrate just sent me a cd with 6 hrs of his music.

What has this to do with kids not freezing buts off attending school?

Ravine Guest

Not much, but this is DY. "Digressions 'R' Us."

And, while I say that they are "candy-asses" [[there are worse things to be,) I do not think this is an accurate portrayal of my remarks:

"useless young folk that you denigrate"

The ones who I have pointedly "denigrated" for being [[nearly) "useless" are us, not them.

Anyway, I hope the CD's include Frank's original recording of "Luck Be A Lady," a performance which I consider to be one of the truly great vocal performances of the 20th Century, and virtually beyond improvement. Absolutely thrilling, to my ears, from its restrained beginning to its crashing, bombastic end.

That is a fantastic Sinatra song.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Not much, but this is DY. "Digressions 'R' Us."

And, while I say that they are "candy-asses" [[there are worse things to be,) I do not think this is an accurate portrayal of my remarks:

"useless young folk that you denigrate"

The ones who I have pointedly "denigrated" for being [[nearly) "useless" are us, not them.

Anyway, I hope the CD's include Frank's original recording of "Luck Be A Lady," a performance which I consider to be one of the truly great vocal performances of the 20th Century, and virtually beyond improvement. Absolutely thrilling, to my ears, from its restrained beginning to its crashing, bombastic end.

Because for me, this WAY UNDER 50 year old, my middle school was about 7 miles away and my mother was NOT about to allow her little African American princess to walk ALONE all that way, on a sunny, dry day,. much less a cold, snowy day.

I lived closer to my high school but again, not close enough to walk, esp. ALONE.

Your Mom was smart considering rapists targeting girls walking to school seem to crop up fairly often in Detroit.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Your Mom was smart considering rapists targeting girls walking to school seem to crop up fairly often in Detroit.
    Right.
    Which is why it is unfair-- and foolish, actually-- to pass judgment on one aspect of the current generation of parents' modus operandi without taking, at least, a quick glance toward the over-all environment with which they deal.

But, if we eliminated judgment-passing & from-the-hip-shooting from DY, this forum would start to look as much like a ghost-town as do certain neighborhoods in Detroit.

And someday, today's kids will mercilessly berate the kids of the mid-21st century, who likely will not even go to school in physical buildings.

"In my day, we actually HAD to get up early and go outside to attend school!!!"

I echo someone else's thanks that I wasn't around for the 1940s through 1960s. Love looking at the pictures and learning the history, but I'm of the wrong demographic and temperament to have enjoyed the pre-1960s era much.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    And someday, today's kids will mercilessly berate the kids of the mid-21st century, who likely will not even go to school in physical buildings.

"In my day, we actually HAD to get up early and go outside to attend school!!!"

I echo someone else's thanks that I wasn't around for the 1940s through 1960s. Love looking at the pictures and learning the history, but I'm of the wrong demographic and temperament to have enjoyed the pre-1960s era much.
    The wrong demographic, yes. How could anyone argue with you on that one?
    As for your temperament, you may not be as ill-suited as you are thinking yourself to be.

Digressions R us was pretty funny. Sinatra doing Cole Porter anything is my favorite but Ella Fitzgerald doing Cole Porter is a close runner up.

Kids freezing at bus stops is not my idea of a good deal. In retrospect I may have considered home schooling for my kids. It wasn't a popular notion in my day. Besides, I like the fact my kids still talk to me. They would have been math illiterate to boot.

Ravine Guest

"...Sinatra doing Cole Porter anything is my favorite but Ella Fitzgerald doing Cole Porter is a close runner up...."

With ya. Or, Fitzgerald singing Rodgers & Hart.

Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Porter, Rodgers & Hart. Impossible to produce a bad alloy using those precious metals.

LodgeDodger Guest

Gen Y will get their bearings, as a group, realize that it's High Time for another generational revolt, and will correctly deduce that the generations of both their parents and grand-parents are hideously lame when it comes to dealing with the real world, as well as being sinfully egocentric head-cases who can barely maintain a relationship of their own, much less show emotional strength in any more complicated crisis.
    Amen, and God Bless you, my friend.

Ravine: Actually, I do prefer the music of the Greatest Generation, the Silent Generation, and the Boomers. Nothing that we Xers or the kids have made even comes close to the 1960s... but you only get a Sixties once a century.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    The only way to stay out of this niff-naw is not to post... but since you did, just for kicks, how CLOSE did you live to your schools?

Grades 1 to 4 at William Ford School, Dearborn, Chase and Ford Road. I lived at Ford Road and Schaefer, a half mile away. Not bad, I grant you.

Grades 5 - 8 at Monnier School, Sorrento and Schoolcraft, and I was but three blocks away. Again, not bad.

Living at Steel and Schoolcraft and going to Mackenzie HS was a hike, but I usually biked it because I always had a paper route after school. On a snowy day I'd take the DSR [[you know what that is, don't you?) and then walk my route after school. That made for a long friggin' day, I'll tell you.

Anyway, the neighborhood school concept was a good one. Losing that ideal was a tragic mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Is tag still aloud? Is that inappropriate touching? Are kids still aloud to fall down and scrape a knee without the property owner who's sidewalk they fell on getting sued? .
    This guy needs to learn how to spell LOL! That must have drove you teachers up a wall! I'm quite sorry

It's must have driven, not drove [[past tense). You could also say that must drive you teachers up a wall [[present tense, because it still does)!

Smarty pants! LOL!

Not exactly. I am looking at MY post and I used you instead of your...but that was a simple typo [[I think I am reading too many papers from my kids and my eyes are all wiggly)

I'm not gonna criticize......I can't even tell where you went wrong

....."You could also say that must drive you teachers up a wall"

^^^ Here? lol

Oh lord...I am going insane! Forget it, I meant you, not your. I was thinking, that must drive your teachers up a wall [[I am still talking to kids, in my head).
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; December-15-10 at 07:34 PM.

LOL......I wasn't very good at school.You have enough children's spelling to worry about besides this one.

...without the property owner who's sidewalk they fell on getting sued? ...

At the risk of sounding like a grammar cop....... really? WHO'S rather than WHOSE? The link below be 4 uze:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    LOL......I wasn't very good at school.You have enough children's spelling to worry about besides this one.
    I was just playing along and trying to be cute Sometimes, taking a break [[or having a good shot of whiskey) from grading papers and having some light hearted fun is the only way I can keep sane.

I'm just going to stop typing stuff in a rant from now on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast