Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Indeed, there's more distance to travel. And in the case of the DPS Career & Technical schools where some of the high schools kids go half of the day [[Breithaupt, Randolph, Golightly, and Crockett) from their home schools, this is accomplished by them being bussed to those Career Tech. schools. I hear it was a real bust [[lack of attendance) yesterday with the weather... Long story short, less kids are 'walking' anywhere in today's climate [[pardon the pun).
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Thank you, Sumas. I agree with your explanation about the ways things were. Even when I went to Bates in the 1980s, the expectation was that you could walk to your neighborhood school and be bused in. It was only later that busing was eliminated.

But about the Boomers respecting elders -- I agree that they did when they were young in the 1950s, but the 1960s and early 1970s consisted of a decade of defying one's elders. Rarely has a generation come of age so thoroughly repudiating the values of dear old Mom and Dad.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-10 at 04:34 AM.

Yes, us-eh 'boomers' [[and I am tail end one born in the early 60's) are still paying bills and paying taxes. No need to write us off just yet!!! ------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    As a boomer, I am as hard on the Boomers as anyone, but still, those are fightin' words. Where are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, us-eh 'boomers' [[and I am tail end one born in the early 60's) are still paying bills and paying taxes. No need to write us off just yet!!! ------
    I am a bit older than the baby boom. I am one of the last of the depression babies. I was born in 1939 and there aren't that many of us [[babies were a luxury that could be deferred).

Although my father was in World War II [[ROTC commission), most of my cohort's fathers stayed home [[draft exempt as pre-Pearl Harbor fathers). I was the only kid whose father was in service in my 1st grade class, the rest were all working overtime for the Arsenal of Democracy.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Hmmm have to think about that English. No doubt I was a part of the "hippie" generation. Rules and regs meant little to me, still don't for that matter. Defy government that seems stupid, etc. but as a sixties/seventies kid I can't hold my seniors in more regard. Am a caretaker for my Mom who will be 91 shortly, Altzheimers is a terrible disease. Still treat her with all consideration. My parents were not perfect but they were fabulous parents. I know of so many people my age doing the same.

Kind of cute story, my Mom was a Depression child, her folks were pretty poor but her Dad would pick her up from school in bad weather but his old car was pretty shabby. She was always embarassed because the car was a relic even then. My Dad and Mom attended the same school but didn't know each other. My Dad remembered that car but not her.
    No disrespect, but could your grandparents have been THAT poor if they had a car during the Depression?

I always say the definition of poor/poverty is subjective.

I'm a Gen-Xer. I have high respect for my Baby Booming parents. They made plenty of sacrifices so I could have choices. Right now I'm sacrificing for my doctoral education. My parents have been very helpful. My parents, esp. my mom, was very proud to make it to the age to receive Social Security, esp. since so many folks didn't live long enough to pull what they paid into the system. I do "tease" her occasionally when I tell her that I, this Gen-Xer, is paying her Social Security. She doesn't like it when I say that! LOL!

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DanFromDetroit View Post
    I saw plenty of kids out in the cold today- on the news waiting for free NFL tickets @ Ford Field. People are more than willing to brave the elements if they see a benefit for it. Spoiler alert: Most children [[and more than a few adults) don't see a benefit in going to school regularly. The sad thing is many children in Detroit grow up with that mentality and instill it in their children and so on. But with the system as broken as it is, can you blame them? Maybe they learned more about commerce and supply and demand etc by waiting for a NFL handout
    Please avoid lumping all children in Detroit as growing up with the mentality you describe here. I can accept your premise if you're speaking generationally; sure, the crack babies of the '80s have grown up and are now reproducing and spreading that mentality. But my parents did not raise my brother and I that way AT. ALL.

I do agree with your point that it was a bit ridiculous to see folks waiting in the cold for free tickets to a football game. But, maybe once in a while, it's nice for children to have snow day memories like waiting for free football tickets. That's if the children [[and parents) have done what they're supposed to do.
    Last edited by FoxyScholar10; December-14-10 at 08:50 AM.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    It just makes me sick everytime I turn on the news on one of these days and see some of these schools close when there is only an inch of snow on the ground.
    You gotta stop taking this shit so hard, man. Just open your fingers and let it go. The world ain't gonna end on account of one snow day more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    I do agree with your point that it was a bit ridiculous to see folks waiting in the cold for free tickets to a football game. But, maybe once in a while, it's nice for children to have snow day memories like waiting for free football tickets. That's if the children [[and parents) have done what they're supposed to do.
    I don't think having a snow day is the issue... it's having one for what is a routine weather event. If it was January, is anyone is getting off of school for 4 inches of snow and some cold weather? It snowed a few inches and was cold a little earlier than normal. This is not Atlanta. It's Detroit. it gets fcuking cold in winter and it snows a lot. let's save the panic for the really bad storms.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't think having a snow day is the issue... it's having one for what is a routine weather event. If it was January, is anyone is getting off of school for 4 inches of snow and some cold weather? It snowed a few inches and was cold a little earlier than normal. This is not Atlanta. It's Detroit. it gets fcuking cold in winter and it snows a lot. let's save the panic for the really bad storms.
    I believe that DPS stated that their criteria was 6 inches and -15 with wind chill-- hence they didn't cancel school and were likewise raked over the coals for it. Some places did indeed get the 6 inches. Also add the roads were terrible because the salt wouldn't work because it's too cold-- it was indeed a pretty heavy storm. As one with a little one, yes, I'd prefer that she'd be in school [[I was a bit heartbroken that she wasn't in school today), but I understand and support the cancellation.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

The weather school closing criteria: 6 inches and/or -15 degrees w/wind chill, is noted.

However, in consideration of the multiplicity of current circumstances plaguing DPS: reduction in local school buildings [[meaning students have to travel further to get to school), lack of [[reliable) bus transportation [[that's if you're taking school buses or the DOT) are just two reasons to rethink holding school. And all that on top of the early morning weather conditions: ice, cold, etc.

Will the district consider yesterday's low turnout/high absenteeism to gauge future decisions to open/close schools on inclement weather days?

Buy American Guest

I am a boomer and a DPS graduate, it's true back in the day we almost never had a snow day. However there were far more local schools. Teachers had a residency requirement also. We all lived close to our destination.

Given the school closures, distances traveled, kids taking buses etc. I certainly believe the schools should have closed.

Detroit teacher almost broke my heart with the lack of gloves for the few students that arrived.

Was a little surprised too at the comment that us boomers should just pass away so what we worked for, wouldn't be a burden for this younger generation. Remember thinking our taxes were too high but shrugged, because we were paying into a system that supported our aging parents. In defensive of my generation, we respected our elders.
    I am a boomer and a DPS graduate, it's true back in the day we almost never had a snow day. However there were far more local schools. Teachers had a residency requirement also. We all lived close to our destination..
    I may be wrong, but I don't think that is correct. I don't think teachers were required to live within the City limits at all. I think the Detroit Board of Education tried to implement some sort of residency requirement back in the 70's, there was a long teachers strike and a judge struck the ruling down.

That long strike you remember did strike down the residency requirement, prior teachers were supposed to live in the city.

Foxy, I agree, poverty or its image is in the eye of the beholder. Grandpa's car was a Model A that he kept together with gum and shoeshine. He was a some times mechanic for Huppmobile.

Neither grandparents on my mom's side had an elementary school education. Sad story is when someone came around the shack that grandpa built on the eastside saying Clark school had opened. Mom's first day of school she didn't even know where it was.

I tend to split posts, asked Mom if she ever had a snow day and the answer was no. She took streetcars to school as she got older.

To finish my Clark school story, her folks were so country that they told her to go to school, put her on the street and she didn't know where to go so she just followed some other kids. She never missed a day of school so go figure.

I'm not gonna really get into this niff-naw, but must observe that in my grade school days [[1941 - 1950) and HS days at Mackenzie [[1950-1954), 'snow days' were unheard of. Every school day was held. But today's kids and most adults under 50 have turned candy-assed, IMHO.

+1 Ray. +1

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm not gonna really get into this niff-naw, but must observe that in my grade school days [[1941 - 1950) and HS days at Mackenzie [[1950-1954), 'snow days' were unheard of. Every school day was held. But today's kids and most adults under 50 have turned candy-assed, IMHO.
    Ray...in my post above, #17, I pretty much said the same thing. Got blasted by some posters who don't like the truth about today's generation of kids.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The only way to stay out of this niff-naw is not to post... but since you did, just for kicks, how CLOSE did you live to your schools?

Because for me, this WAY UNDER 50 year old, my middle school was about 7 miles away and my mother was NOT about to allow her little African American princess to walk ALONE all that way, on a sunny, dry day,. much less a cold, snowy day.

I lived closer to my high school but again, not close enough to walk, esp. ALONE.

I suppose those who voted in forced integration through bussing Black children to predominantly White schools didn't expect to produce candy-arsed adults like me. Darn.

Again, who raised this generation of kids, and their parents? They didn't just magically turn "candy-assed."

Absolutely lovely how no one wants to respond to that particular point, but then again, there is no honest rebuttal.

Every generation can pull out their trump card on the next. I respect generations who brag and actually leave something behind for their posterity to build upon. Frankly, the jury's out on the Silent, Boomers, and Gen-X. If people yesterday had a great upbringing, then it's to the credit of the Greatest Gen and the generations before them -- they weren't inherently more virtuous than today's kids; maybe they came of age in a society with different values. Someone dropped the ball and started the fires, and that collective "someone" refuses to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Again, who raised this generation of kids, and their parents? They didn't just magically turn "candy-assed."

Absolutely lovely how no one wants to respond to that particular point, but then again, there is no honest rebuttal.
    You have to realize that their generation is never at fault. They are fond of pointing the finger and preaching but never acknowledge that anything they did was wrong or less than wonderful.

I blame the parents, English. Childern are so coddled anymore. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if most kids have to wear mouth guards and helmets when they play tag nowadays. Is tag still aloud? Is that inappropriate touching? Are kids still aloud to fall down and scrape a knee without the property owner who's sidewalk they fell on getting sued? Or the city? Or the shoe manufacturer for that matter?
    Maybe that's the problem. Noone is allowed to do anything because of this sue happy world we live in.
    I mean, poor DetroitTeacher has to RISK HER JOB to give a child a hug when it's the only hug they'll receive that day!?!?! What kind of society is this? Give me a break! She makes me want to cry! She's got to give gloves to kids?!?! Are you kidding me? It's not the poor kids not going to school, it's the upper middle class and rich kid suck asses.

huh....I think I went way off topic lol! I wasn't yelling at you btw. I'm just sick of society in general "protecting" our youth.

Buy American Guest

You don't see kids playing ball at the park much anymore...you don't see kids riding bikes around the block much. You see kids getting an expensive iTouch, a cell phone, a Playstation, a Wii...the only exercise these kids get today is the thumbs. I'm not saying that all kids today are raised that way, but way too many are. The parents "pick their battles" with 4 year olds who will grow up to be 13 year olds running the house. Do families sit at the dinnertable anymore? Do families worship together? Magnatomicflux..you are right about teachers being unable to hug a child or comfort them if they get hurt, and that's a crying shame. Kids need emotional support, not only from their parents, but from the teachers, too.
    I am friends today with my 1st grade teacher. She is 82 years old and my memories of her will be with me until the day I die. She was instrumental in my life. Nowadays, parents scream at the teachers if the kid didn't pass the grade and they demand that the teacher promote them. It doesn't matter if the kid doesn't know right from left, what 2 + 2 equals, just pass them.
    Society today is different than it was when I grew up in the 40's, 50's and 60's...and to some of you out there, I feel sorry for you because you'll never know what it was like to grow up during the best time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    You don't see kids playing ball at the park much anymore...you don't see kids riding bikes around the block much. You see kids getting an expensive iTouch, a cell phone, a Playstation, a Wii...the only exercise these kids get today is the thumbs. I'm not saying that all kids today are raised that way, but way too many are. The parents "pick their battles" with 4 year olds who will grow up to be 13 year olds running the house. Do families sit at the dinnertable anymore? Do families worship together? Magnatomicflux..you are right about teachers being unable to hug a child or comfort them if they get hurt, and that's a crying shame. Kids need emotional support, not only from their parents, but from the teachers, too.
    I am friends today with my 1st grade teacher. She is 82 years old and my memories of her will be with me until the day I die. She was instrumental in my life. Nowadays, parents scream at the teachers if the kid didn't pass the grade and they demand that the teacher promote them. It doesn't matter if the kid doesn't know right from left, what 2 + 2 equals, just pass them.
    Society today is different than it was when I grew up in the 40's, 50's and 60's...and to some of you out there, I feel sorry for you because you'll never know what it was like to grow up during the best time ever.
    I agree with much of what you state. It's just unfortunate that your generation did such a poor job raising their children that they have become the horrible parents that you complain about.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Le sigh....

Of course everybody's going to think that the best time to live was during their childhood. Selective memory has a way of protecting us from pain.

I, for one, am grateful I was not born during the civil rights movement, Jim Crow, open-faced racism, etc. The "good ol' days" weren't good for everybody.... Yikes!

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I agree with much of what you state. It's just unfortunate that your generation did such a poor job raising their children that they have become the horrible parents that you complain about.
    In the words of some California valley girl from the 80's...

whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    I, for one, am grateful I was not born during the civil rights movement, Jim Crow, open-faced racism, etc. The "good ol' days" weren't good for everybody.... Yikes!
    Spot on. Sadly, that may be why some of them consider the good old days

In the words of some California valley girl from the 80's...

whatever!
    Seems you keep ducking the question. The paraphrased facts, as stated by you:

1. Kids now are candy-asses, don't do anything, etc
    2. It is the fault of their parents.

I'm curious how you can ignore the fact that your generation raised those poor parents. I'm also curious how why you absolve your generation of any blame of obviously being poor parents that raised children who, in turn became poor parents.

Of course it is typical for you to either deflect or ignore when asked direct questions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast