Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

LOL!------But I kid you not school seemed to never-ever close when I was in elementary and Jr. High school [['67-'75) you could barely get off the front porch and yet school was expectantly open without discussion and the snow plows and salting was out... in really cold temps. I swear it's true Lowell : ) : ) it's true!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!!"

No snow days off when you were kids? You were lucky. We had to to walk uphill for ten miles into a driving winds and snow, then build our own school.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-10 at 12:51 PM.

ROSD called it at 5:41AM, and I can't figure out if that was too early or too late.
    And even now, it's dangerously cold out when you consider the wind chill. It's a good call, especially when there is a 1:1 ratio of lawyers and people who could "slip and fall" on school property.

Slip and fall on DPS property...? Hah! That will be a lost cause for litigation. I hear the schools are barely occupied. Most kids stayed home.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    ROSD called it at 5:41AM, and I can't figure out if that was too early or too late.
    And even now, it's dangerously cold out when you consider the wind chill. It's a good call, especially when there is a 1:1 ratio of lawyers and people who could "slip and fall" on school property.

Buy American Guest

"Yeah, you walked up hill to school in cardboard shoes - both ways."
    No cardboard shoes Novine...buckle boots like Hermod spoke of.

"No snow days off when you were kids? You were lucky. We had to to walk uphill for ten miles into a driving winds and snow, then build our own school. "
    Lowell, are you just being humorous or is this a bit of sarcasm I detect?

DetroitPole Guest

My issue is the opposite. Dangerous conditions? Fuck it. Risk you and your kids' neck to do something that isn't going to make that much of a difference in the long run. Why? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO!

Part of it is American, but most of it seems to be derived from being a northern industrial city. There is no natural rythm to life - just factory time. You go to work day in and day out no matter how hot, cold, dangerous it is, sick you are, etc. I envy Mediterranean, Latin American, or even Southern US society for the more natural pace they take to life.

I don't work in a vital industry by any means, and my work could wait until tomorrow. Of course the bosses were late, but we peons were expected to be on time.

Don't even get started on what closes by what standards. Most of these schools, universities, and institutions stare at each other waiting to see who will blink first, who will close first, so then they will follow suit. So it is not even as if there is some scientific or standardized measure by which our organizations in this area operate - totally arbitrary.

A day like today is better spent with the family at home and not cruising around on a sheet of ice trying to be on time. Of course for saying that it probably makes me some sort of communist.

bartock Guest

Nothing like the weather to bring out the "I was the toughest person in a generation that is tougher than this generation" discussion. Our kids will have the same complex with their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Our kids are coddled, pampered, and insulated from life's little inconveniences and when they are old enough to go out on their own and face life, it will be very difficult because it's all about "ME, ME, ME" and what I'm entitled to.
    I totally hear you on this. This smacks of a Detroit-based social theory I am working on called "Living Down to the Lowest Common Denominator."

I disagree with your statement that it will "be very difficult" for future generations. As a people, we have set up a system that has displaced the social and natural laws of cause and effect. Millions of years ago if you created a child and you did not have the ability to support that new life, it would more than likely die. Today if you have a child that you cannot support, uncle sam rushes in with a gift basket. Maybe not a million dollar gift basket, but far more than our cro-magnon relatives.

I am not saying children should be thrown out into the streets. Just using a dramatic example to illustrate how things have changed.

Sadly things will not change until the entire system fails. Most realize this-so they are running hard to get every last penny they can- not realizing they are laying waste to the future of the city and the state.

Buy American Guest

"A day like today is better spent with the family at home and not cruising around on a sheet of ice trying to be on time. Of course for saying that it probably makes me some sort of communist. "

Check out the malls today...they will be jammed with kids and parents...if they can get there, they can get to school or work...maybe a bit late, but there nevertheless.

Kids are more likely to get frostbitten playing in the snow for hours than walking to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!!"

No snow days off when you were kids? You were lucky. We had to to walk uphill for ten miles into a driving winds and snow, then build our own school.
    Did you bring your own bricks or your own ax? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Oakland University is its own entity now; no longer a satellite of MSU. There, fixed it for you
    seriously? do people still think OU is a MSU extension? It's been its own independent university since 1970.

I have gotten frostbite, and it is worth avoiding. I do remember one day when the school buses didn't run due to ice or blowing snow or some such. I could see the last house on the bus route from my back door. I had to go to school, but that kid, Pickle Palmer, got to stay home. This was in the UP, by the by, and it was below zero a lot of the time, with wind adding to the fun.

Ruxy, this is what I was responding to:
    Today, 12:05 PM
    Hermod

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcole
    Oakland U has closed like 3 times in 15 yrs and that's because it's mostly a commuter school.
    MSU-O has closed like 3 times in 15 yrs and that's because it's mostly a commuter school.

Fixed it for you.

I know jcole, I thought when I quoted your post it would include the post you quoted. That post was directed at Hermod.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Nothing like the weather to bring out the "I was the toughest person in a generation that is tougher than this generation" discussion. Our kids will have the same complex with their kids.
    Every generation is different, standards, morals, etc. Whether or not the district closes schools, parents who care about their children will keep them out of school on exceptionally cold and icy days.
    We too had few snow days off from school. If we did the district had to make up the days at the end of the school year. If there was school, our parents made sure we attended. We were on split sessions, stood at the busstop at 6am M-F. It didnt' matter if it was snowing or not, it was still damn cold... and dark! I also had a paper route for homes that paralled Lake Huron. Snow days or not I delivered the Detroit News on my bike and I remember my hands being so cold, I couldn't unbuckle my boots. My first experience in capitalism....

Sometimes you learn more on the way to school than you do in school.
    Attachment 8053

I would also like to know who makes the call at DPS

My kids and I listened to WWJ and my daughter checked the internet right up until 7am when we left to take them to school. I should have known better when WWJ announced all Oakland, Macomb and Monroe county public schools where closed. everything but DPS.

When we arrived at Cass Tech only 2 teachers had shown up and when we got to Burton the principal announced the school was closed.

Unfortunately my son had to take 2 busses to find out his school was closed.

What a huge waste for all the students, teachers and admin who tried to go to school because it wasnt officially called off. Then you have all the working parents who either have to call off work or go through unnecessary last minute arrangements.

All that because why? some dipshit at DPS thinks DPS students and parents should be the only ones in SE Michigan to travel through these non-plowed streets? What an asshole.

Default DPS Defends Stance on Staying Open Monday

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ay-20101213-mr

You can listen to the video which details the decision....

Video

By myFOXDetroit.com Staff

[[WJBK) - Detroit Public Spokesman Steve Wasko defended the district's decision to remain open while hundreds of other schools around southeast Michigan closed Monday due to ice and snow.

Wasko said, although it's not an exact science, it usually takes either six inches of snow or wind chills of -15 F to justify a school closing.

DPS is the state's largest school district.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-10 at 03:21 PM.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

I went to DPS in the '80s. Got bussed to middle school on the far west side from the northwest side. Took one DOT up Greenfield Rd. to Renaissance [[from Fenkell to Outer Drive, so not THAT far). I do not recall my parents keeping my brother and I home from [[middle) school on days like this, which leads me to believe that the schools were most likely closed. I never got frostbite. I HATE cold weather but I managed during my formative/schooling years.

This being the last week before the holiday recess on top of the weather/driving conditions, DPS should have closed today, period. And parents should make wise choices for their children and keep them home/have babysitting alternatives instead of sending these children in the cold like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I attended Detroit Public Schools from 1950 to 1963 and don't remember one day that the schools were closed because of snow or ice. I walked four blocks to my elementary school, four blocks the other way to my Junior High School, and four blocks to my high school which was next door to jr. high. We walked to school with snow up to our knees or higher. We were bundled up with sweaters, coats, a scarf covering our noses and hats.
    I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!! Our kids are coddled, pampered, and insulated from life's little inconveniences and when they are old enough to go out on their own and face life, it will be very difficult because it's all about "ME, ME, ME" and what I'm entitled to.
    Or we can use it as a lesson to show that the older generation [[Such as baby boomers) that have made our society so litigious that keeping a school open on a day that is too cold or too windy may wind up causing a lawsuit. That lawsuit may cost the district millions upon millions.

We could also teach that kids that many superintendents look at how much money may be saved from closing school for the day [[temp help, utilities, etc) that it is now seen as a financial decision.

I don't agree with closing schools for any adverse weather but blaming this on 'coddling kids' ignores the realities that your generation has brought out in these decsisions.

Side editorial note:

Does anyone else find that humor that those complaining about the weak, coddled children of this age are likely from the baby boomer generation.

The same generation that has led our country into the nightmarish economic situation of today. I certainly hope my generation and that of any future kids of mine are nothing like the baby boomers who defined and perfected greed, indifference, selfishness and have brought this country to it's knees.

I hope you guys don't get a sore shoulder patting yourself on the back. I don't want to have to pay more into medicaid/medicare for your health care.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Every generation is different, standards, morals, etc. Whether or not the district closes schools, parents who care about their children will keep them out of school on exceptionally cold and icy days.
    We too had few snow days off from school. If we did the district had to make up the days at the end of the school year. If there was school, our parents made sure we attended. We were on split sessions, stood at the busstop at 6am M-F. It didnt' matter if it was snowing or not, it was still damn cold... and dark! I also had a paper route for homes that paralled Lake Huron. Snow days or not I delivered the Detroit News on my bike and I remember my hands being so cold, I couldn't unbuckle my boots. My first experience in capitalism....
    I believe there are more school days now than there were 30 years ago. 160 then versus 180 now. Perhaps that allows for more snow days.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I believe there are more school days now than there were 30 years ago. 160 then versus 180 now. Perhaps that allows for more snow days.
    Hmmmm....what a difference 20 days has made....

BTW: I'm ALL for year-round schooling.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    Hmmmm....what a difference 20 days has made....

BTW: I'm ALL for year-round schooling.
    Were you ALL for year-round schooling when you were a child?

Certainly we have a different standard for parental concern, at least in some circles. It is likely that the generalities we see here don't apply across the board, nor did the ones reported from back in the day. I do know that my parents were concerned that I be where I was supposed to be, when I was supposed to be there, and that I do what I was supposed to do there. They were not concerned about the cold or the snow or any other thing preventing me from attending and they believed it was character building for me to get there on my own.

Is there a different standard of character among those who do not wish to subject their children to the tests of winter? Is it a good thing? Are they better parents?

The kids across the street have been home all day, and have been out playing in the snow since mid-afternoon. I see that they have switched to shoveling the driveway. Now that's character building!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast