Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wow. Remember the Silverdome!
    Slideshow here: http://www.startribune.com/galleries/111750994.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

Attachment 8029
    Hey what’s the deal with Minnesota? Can’t they build anything right?? First the expressway bridge, now this! JK & LOL

What is amazing is that it didn't collapse all the way down to the field and seating [yet] as the slide show shows.

Will their other home games be here too?

Dramatic video of the collapse from inside the stadium...

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/n...ed-dec-12-2010

They have one more home game; against Chicago a week from Monday. That stadium will not be ready for it. I'd bet a good chance it will be from Soldier Field in Chicago, though.

I've always been antsy about these air-inflated domed stadiums.

WOW !

Finally a real NFL game coming to Detroit

Someone asked "Why Monday night?" As I understand it, the game had already been rescheduled for Monday night because of weather delays. I believe the Giants were stuck in Kansas City. Also, the game couldn't be moved to TCF Bank Stadium [[University of Minnesota) because that stadium had already been winterized and couldn't be opened up in time. It also seats about 15.000 less than the HHH Metrodome.

If I can get back in town I'll be there.

Anyone ready for a meetup? Town pump at 6:30?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Kilpatrick, as much as I didn't care for him, would had thought quick enough to make this a huge plus for Detroit. Bing doesn't know how to think that fast enough as well as others in the city gov

I would love to know your basis for making this statement...other than if this was September or October of an election year. If there was something similar that he hit a home run with, then please remind me. The only thing that I can recall that came close was the Wed Wings parade, and that went...eh...

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit could still capitalize off this game. Vendors, restaurants, and hotels could make some money
    I totally agree with this. Another 60+ thousand people [[with tickets being "free", I'd bet on that number) downtown who wouldn't normally be down there on a Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I totally agree with this. Another 60+ thousand people [[with tickets being "free", I'd bet on that number) downtown who wouldn't normally be down there on a Monday night.

I honestly don't know. Is there going to be anything for those people to do downtown after the game is over?

This thread should have been titled:

Professional Football Comes to Detroit

Go to the game if you can. I live in Chicago and I went to Expos vs Marlins when the game was moved to Comiskey due to a hurricane. Cool to attend a historical "remember when" game.

You're going to have 70,000 people in the CBD on a Monday night and you don't understand the significance of that??? Just the fact that Detroit is being mentioned in a national broadcast and you don't understand that either.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    This thread should have been titled:

Professional Football Comes to Detroit
    We already ignored your first attempt at the lame humor. No need to keep trying.

Unless you're Drew Sharp. Then your lameness is paid for.

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Just the fact that Detroit is being mentioned in a national broadcast and you don't understand that either.?
    wow some people really grasp at straws here.

#1 this isn't MNF or even a nationally televised game. You won't even be able to see it unless you go to Ford Field or have NFL Sunday Ticket. The only foot ball you are getting tomorrow, unless you go downtown, is Baltimore vs Houston.

#2 The word "Detroit" being used on national TV means jack. It is sad that anyone who thinks hearing the name of a city on TV is some magical thing that makes it the most wonderful place on earth. Try again

#3 If you think Detroit was chosen because it is some beacon of greatness to host this game get real. Just looking at pro fields in the region [[because the Giants are stuck in KC) you have Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, Arrowhead Stadium, The Edward Jones Dome, Ford Field, Cleveland Browns Stadium and Paul Brown stadium. Out of all of those only Ford Field And Edward Jones Dome are covered. Of the 2 teams that play at those stadiums, only 1 played at home [[The Rams were at NO). Take a guess at which stadium was most ready to host a game in the shortest amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    Go to the game if you can. I live in Chicago and I went to Expos vs Marlins when the game was moved to Comiskey due to a hurricane. Cool to attend a historical "remember when" game.
    This very well could be with Brett Favre possibly missing a start. Or more than likely the last game versus the Vikings could be his very last game in the NFL.

Either way, it's NFL quality football here in town again. Sometimes it's actually kind of fun watching a good football game where we're not emotionally invested in one team or another. We can actually put our Homer hats away for this one and cheer for good plays on both sides of the ball.

70,000 at Ford Field is good.... downtown hotels and restaurants should get some spinoff...

Why are so many posters in such a pissy mood today??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    70,000 at Ford Field is good.... downtown hotels and restaurants should get some spinoff...

Why are so many posters in such a pissy mood today??
    I agree. Even if there were 25,000 people at this game and there was just a wee bit more revenue generated from this game, I'm all for it. This game was given to us. Why be so inhospitable towards it? I understand that the Ford Field employees might be pulling a late one tonight getting the field in order for it, but beyond that- it's an NFL game here in town. Enjoy it.

Im going to try to go. It would be nice to go to a game at Ford Field and not be able to predict the looser!

Its a great chnace to see a NFL game for free....I wish I could make it

I wish I could make it down there for the free tickets. This is the 4th such collapse at the metrodome!

YAY Free Football games at Ford Field.

I would have went down there if they were giving out free beer tickets.

I think it's interesting that schools all over the region are closed because its cold and presumably kids can't get rides to school, businesses can't seem to get open, and the roads are a mess, but there is a huge line outside Ford Field with people clamoring for free tickets to see two random football teams play on a monday night.

Ravine Guest

People in a city depressed, both economically & emotionally, will go to a great deal of trouble to have some goddam fun for free.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast