Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I beg to differ it would/ should serve Detroiter's too [[who are interested or needful of this form of transpo.) to get to the suburbs etc. Many Detroit residents cannot get to suburban jobs/ schools due to lack of transportation... It's not going to be a one way system is it? And it would have to be safe for ALL RIDERS.
    Hey, lets just do away with cars completely and everyone can ride on Nerds magic Woodward trolley:

Let's get rid of lack of opportunities for lack of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I beg to differ it would/ should serve Detroiter's too [[who are interested or needful of this form of transpo.) to get to the suburbs etc. Many Detroit residents cannot get to suburban jobs/ schools due to lack of transportation... It's not going to be a one way system is it? And it would have to be safe for ALL RIDERS.
    Not sure what the suburbs has to do with this discussion, but okay.

The point is that whenever Detroit talks about transit, it always gets bogged down in these discussions of what you need in the next 5 minutes. It's not only about you and just because the region isn't building a line between your office and your favorite Kroger doesn't mean it isn't a useful investment for the region. As for whether it will be safe to ride... You can't secure a transit system that you don't have. So you talking about not riding it because it isn't safe is a moot point since you don't have either a safe or dangerous system to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    sehen, met you once in a dive bar in Detroit. Had a charming conversation with you. I believe you personally are comitted to a better Detroit. Just need to go on the record as saying our papers are failing to inform us. Content kind of sucks.

I totally get that published papers are losing out to internet, other news sources, etc. But there is just nothing better than sitting down to a cup of coffee and reading real news. Obits and op eds don't make a paper.
    I'm totally offended by your comments.
    I do NOT hang out in dive bars... every night.. ;-)

if I get some time later today, I'll address your more serious point..

Good column, and one that could provoke some productive dialogue. I'm still encouraged [[and a little amazed) by those who still haven't completely given up on the city.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

The point is that whenever Detroit talks about transit, it always gets bogged down in these discussions of what you need in the next 5 minutes. It's not only about you and just because the region isn't building a line between your office and your favorite Kroger doesn't mean it isn't a useful investment for the region. As for whether it will be safe to ride... You can't secure a transit system that you don't have. So you talking about not riding it because it isn't safe is a moot point since you don't have either a safe or dangerous system to ride.
    I disagree.. it gets bogged down in that no one is planning PAST the next 5 minutes. The only plan [[incomplete as it is) that involves anything more than buses is 3 miles of track on woodward. one line of track. 3 miles in a city of 135 sqare miles is all we can seem to come up with. anything after that is TBD. that is stupid.

As far as the safety is concerned...you're right, you can't secure a system you don't have, but if the current system is our guide [[Rosa Parks Station anyone?) the future doesn't look real promising.

I differ with the statement that there is no plan. There is a plan, which anyone can go look at on SEMCOG's web site:

http://www.semcog.org/uploadedFiles/...%2021%2008.pdf

The Woodward light rail project is no longer the 3.4 mile privately-funded project alluded to in a previous post, but now goes to the former fairgrounds, and only goes no further because the leadership of the OC doesn't want it to. The overall regional plan includes a few light rail lines and enhanced bus service of various types.

Of course, since nobody in southeast Michigan is even willing to discuss how we might pay for operation of such a service, it's not likely much of it will ever come to pass. As usual, our completely dysfunctional political class is keeping us down. But there is, at least, a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by sehender1 View Post
    My Sunday col is about why I stay in Detroit, but also why those reasons wouldn't be enough to attrack the kinds and numbers of people we'll need to rebuild.
    [/URL]
    Sehender, I think these questions and discussions are great.

I find an interesting comparison between the current state of Detroit and the plans in Saudia Arabia for creating new 'economic cities' in the middle of the desert. Detroit has the land and infrastructure to build similar cities of the future [[without the intolerances for women and religion).

Here is a link to a New York Times article from yesterday about these plans. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/ar...0cities&st=cse

Just think, the fuel that powers the cars of America [[with many built in Detroit) helped fund these cities of the future in Saudia Arabia.

In my opinion, as an interested observer, the people of Detroit need to forget the past and finger-pointing about what caused the demise and start looking at the future.

Here's another thought... as troops begin to return home, set up a huge half-way environment in the spaces available in Detroit. Coming home from war and then immediately returning home to a family is a huge challenge in many ways. Have it so that families can visit Detroit and the time necessary in the half-way environment dictated by the level of distress in each individual. Huge amounts of equipment also needs to be evaluated, repaired, etc. and needs large spaces and the tools to do that. Where that can be found? It might need cleaning up but there will be large amounts of manpower to do that with. Give the soldiers something to do as they re-adjust.

This would have many advantages for Detroit. There would be a huge influx of funds to make it happen and would require hiring many locals for jobs. I don't think there are enough spaces, resources and infrastructure anywhere else in the US to support something this large. I think 'the presence in itself' would help clean up many problems that frighten many residents and outsiders from wanting to risk living in Detroit.

I am one of those bothered by seeing us spend trillions of $ in other countries trying to solve problems when we have Detroit in the state she is now in. And, if we send our men and women into battle, we need to care for them when they return so that they can return to their families and lives in as healthy of a mental and emotional state that we can.

Detroit must plan for the future and innovate and think in new ways. Forget the past and invent the future!

My 2¢ worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Let's start changing Detroit by doing your part of fixing our ghettohoods, provide a low-income Detroit family with a meal, clothes and gifts. Spend a bit of your resources to fix up a home for a low-income Detroit family. Create greenspaces and urban farming in the ghettoes. I wouls especially like to see all the suburbanites take part, also. Then Detroit political, ethnic, financial sences will be changed. Take the risk do charity, NOW!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Because changing Detroit take community action, NOT TALK for Neda's sake.
    Give give give give give give. What a wad of pass-the-responsibility BS!

Give the family a meal, clothes and gifts instead of teaching them how to feed, cloth and give gifts to themselves?

Spend a bit of your resources to fix up a home for a low-income Detroit family instead of putting hammers in the hands of low-income Detroit families?

And, oh, you suburbanites, it's on you too.

Post like these make we want to scream!!!!!

Give them, give them, give them still sounds a lot like gimmie gimmie gimmie

"Teach a man to fish"-The words of a real prophet
    Last edited by hamtown mike; December-14-10 at 03:10 PM. Reason: question marks add emphasis. Don't ya think?(??)

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Give give give give give give. What a wad of pass-the-responsibility BS!

Give the family a meal, clothes and gifts instead of teaching them how to feed, cloth and give gifts to themselves?

Spend a bit of your resources to fix up a home for a low-income Detroit family instead of putting hammers in the hands of a low-income Detroit families?

And, oh, you suburbanites, it's on you too.

Post like these make we want to scream!!!!!

Give them, give them, give them still sounds a lot like gimmie gimmie gimmie

"Teach a man to fish"-The words of a real prophet
    I guess it all depends on which is more important to you: sticking to your "personal-responsibility" guns, or actually addressing the problem.

Detroit's assessment as a successful city will not come by comparing it to the suburbs; it will come from being compared to other urban centers. Detroit can't out-suburb the suburbs. Nor should the city's leadership even spend significant energy trying to emulate or compete with the suburbs. But what do other major urban centers in America offer that Detroit currently lacks? In short, a lot.

Transit, in my opinion is Detroit's most pressing issue. I know that most people would disagree and say it's public safety. And that's fair but wrong IMO. Some of the safest cities in the world are backwaters. And some of the cities with the highest crime rates are World Class urban centers. But no World Class city exists without a very good transportation network.
    IhearttheD, if you're a woman, I want to marry you!

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    I guess it all depends on which is more important to you: sticking to your "personal-responsibility" guns, or actually addressing the problem.
    I believe he's saying that personal responsibility might actually address the problem...or at least a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I believe he's saying that personal responsibility might actually address the problem...or at least a lot of it.
    Thank you. Bailey if you're a boy I want to marry you.

Augustiner Guest

I believe I'm saying that he's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    Thank you. Bailey if you're a boy I want to marry you.
    ha. yeah? well, that would be illegal round here. Don't want to ruin the sanctity of marriage and all.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree and note that opinions vary on the subject........... and as the thing is not going to the suburbs, its relevance is even more questionable.

Last edited by Zacha341; December-15-10 at 04:14 AM.

The Rosa Parks Station is awful and useless track for a few miles is well fairly moot. These rails systems are very costly and rarely generate projected ridership.
    I disagree.. it gets bogged down in that no one is planning PAST the next 5 minutes. The only plan [[incomplete as it is) that involves anything more than buses is 3 miles of track on woodward. one line of track. 3 miles in a city of 135 sqare miles is all we can seem to come up with. anything after that is TBD. that is stupid.

As far as the safety is concerned...you're right, you can't secure a system you don't have, but if the current system is our guide [[Rosa Parks Station anyone?) the future doesn't look real promising.

"These rails systems are very costly and rarely generate projected ridership."

Want to back those up with some real numbers? From what I've read, those that didn't meet projections are in the minority.

While you're working on your response Mr. Henderson, does the editorial page print letters to the editor that include people using the N-word? Because that's what's appearing in the comments section on the Free Press web site this morning. As I've said before, you would never allow such trash that appears regularly in the comments section to be printed in the paper. Why is it appropriate to appear on the paper's web site multiple times?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2