Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So no sing-along to "Garryowen" on this thread?

Why the quotes for "genocide" Gistok? Do you not believe that the U.S. gov't perpetuated genocide and germ warfare against Native Americans? I guess they still don't teach that in history class do they?

Ray, considering your attempt at humour there won't be a reply forthcoming.

Just wondering outloud on a snowy day.If the white man had not fought,displaced and generally left alone the Indians,what would have happened to them?Would they be just living out in the wild among our malls,cities and sprawl?Would our grain basket of the great plains have farms on them.Would they have sold their lands to developers?Would they have fought against our rail and then hyway system?It is a shame on our nation what we did to the Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Why the quotes for "genocide" Gistok? Do you not believe that the U.S. gov't perpetuated genocide and germ warfare against Native Americans? I guess they still don't teach that in history class do they?
    They don't teach much of it. Nor that many, including Custer, thought some of the policies from Washington were stupid and short-sighted. They also don't teach much about the genocide by the tribes committed against each other, such as the Sioux that wiped out Custer's five companies being Indians that had invaded that Black Hills territory and previously driven out other tribes, such as the Kiowa.

The history of the Indian wars is sad and disgusting and not as black and white as many people think. There was plenty of slaughter and atrocities to go around on all sides -- none of which excuses it on anyone's part. It's a fascinating period of history, albeit shocking. It's a very complex subject, and not as simple as "Custer bad, America bad, Indians good." There wasn't much good going on, on anyone's part.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post

Ray, considering your attempt at humour there won't be a reply forthcoming.
    Sorry those quotes bother you Goat... .sometimes quotes.... are just to highlight something rather than to mean the opposite, which is what you're referring to. No need to lecture me on US Govt. Genocide... I'm well aware of the Indian campaigns of the 19th century. .... And also such 20th century unpleasantries as when the US Govt. "garrotted" [[quotes again) 15,000 Philipino insurgents during the 2nd decade of the 20th century. And this is just one example of many. So yes, I am aware that there's plenty of blood on the hands of the US government.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    They thought it was worth 5 million, so I guess it wasn't that great of a deal, but it's still a lot of money.

I think that kind of thing would be better in a history rather than an art museum anyway. And also not in storage.
    Jason... just because someone at the DIA [[or an "expert") appraised it at 5 million... that means absolutely nothing on auction day. Auctions can be very fickle... some days there'll be lots of people interested in the same thing, and bids can go very high. On other days no one's interested.

Last week I put something up for auction on EBAY for [[starting bid) $49... with a BUY IT NOW price of $75. Nobody jumped at it for $75... but bidding started at $49... and 3 days later the item was bid up to a winning $117. Go figure??

Last year I saw a Canadian 610 Locomotive LEGO set sell for $18 on EBAY. This year I saw a duplicate set in the same condition sell for $343 on EBAY. Crazy!!

If you watch Antiques Roadshow... when they mention an "auction price" they often say "on a good day it may fetch even more...." So the flag auction day must not have been "on a good day".
    Last edited by Gistok; December-13-10 at 03:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2