Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Does anyone know who designed the home?
    It looks unlike anything familiar...but let's look at the architects Henry Ford employed, since I think he paid for the design and construction of the estate for his mistress, or so they say. Derrick, Kahn, Willeke....and this home looks like nothing dewigned by any of these greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This would be my house before the half million or so one would have to spend to the bring property back.

This is the Dahlinger Estate discussed length here. The I would sit in that upper center window with my afternoon martini and watch dramatic sunsets across the forested flood plain of the Rouge River that spreads out from beyond there.
    I got to get over there and check that place out. Is it trashed inside?

Stromberg2

I saw this article in Sunday's Free Press/News and really loved the house and it's 1970's layout and charm. I'd love to move in as-is with the art and all the original furnishings.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...LE01/204130302

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I saw this article in Sunday's Free Press/News and really loved the house and it's 1970's layout and charm. I'd love to move in as-is with the art and all the original furnishings.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...LE01/204130302
    I like the nice pics of the interior of the home what drives my crazy is many of this type of article leave out images of the exterior. So here is a pic of the exterior of 1760 Lincolnshire and a description from Palmer Woods' website.

This graceful home, designed by architect Robert Sarota, is a classic California Contemporary design, built in l955 for Harold and Arlene Kaplan, owners of People’s Outfitters, a well-known Michigan retail establishment. The home occupies property formerly a part of the Fisher Estate.
    The interior and exterior golden tan brick complements the clean contemporary lines of the home. The floors of the porch, foyer and terrace are of Connecticut slate, extending the warmth of the interior design to the exterior of the home, while the use of American walnut paneling and beams throughout lends a warm and earthy feeling to a spacious contemporary floor plan. The ceiling-to-floor windows in the great room provide a magnificent view of impeccably landscaped gardens surrounding a kidney-shaped swimming pool.
    The classic l950’s feel of the home is enhanced by an authentic soda fountain and bar located in a corner of the great room. Built-in features are found throughout the home, most notably in the original St. Charles kitchen with its enormous irregularly-shaped island of marble and butcher block.
    The current owner has decorated the home with furnishings reminiscent of the l950s and adorned it with an impressive collection of art representing local and international artists and many ethnic cultures, including those of Brazil, Haiti, Africa and India.
    Expressive in its casual elegance, this home reflects the pleasant ambience of the modern period of Palmer Woods architecture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, p69rrh1. Beautiful exterior, you'd think they'd at least include it in the online version where space isn't a concern. I'd like to see the yard and the soda bar as well.

I would choose my own home north of Hamtramck between Jos. Campau and Conant for the following reasons:
    1: low taxes
    2: I know the house is in excellent shape
    3: New roof
    4: Great neighbors...except for one...
    5: Awesome memories have been made there
    Other than my own home, which I love, I would also take 5671 Artesian in Warrendale because it is adorable and close to my work. I love smaller, well maintained houses, so a cute bungalow in a family friendly neighborhood is perfect for me.

Is this house,

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 12.19.04 AM.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  46.0 KB

the remains of this house? It might be the only major Italianate villa left on the waterfront avenues? S. B. Grummond House shown below which was at one point 810 Jefferson [[address from pre 1920's renumbering I think).

Name:  6199281725_8af615efe4_b.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  60.0 KB
    Last edited by southofbloor; May-25-12 at 11:26 PM.

This link will take you to the history of the home on Concord. http://www.detroit1701.org/Lee%20Burt%20House.html

I came across this image in the Burton Historic Collection digital library. Not only is the home designed by George Mason its his own home. This home has been one of my favorites for years, 18600 Fairway built in 1935 on the north western edge of the Detroit Golf Club.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-25-12 at 11:42 PM.

^^^
    That's one of the coolest homes I've seen, yet!

Stromberg2

Eastside Cat,
    I believe I know your brother.. Port Huron Central High School?

What an awesome thread. Dearly love the old homes of Detroit. I am looking for information on the home of my great-great-grandparents, Emory & Jeanie Wendell. They lived at 410 Seminole until their deaths in 1914 and 1915.

Quote Originally Posted by DtCtyGrl View Post
    What an awesome thread. Dearly love the old homes of Detroit. I am looking for information on the home of my great-great-grandparents, Emory & Jeanie Wendell. They lived at 410 Seminole until their deaths in 1914 and 1915.
    Built by the William Starr's Company [[Starr's was fairly prolific building homes all over the City of Detroit). 2100/410 Seminole built in 1913 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI. The home cost $3,500 to build. The original owner Dr. Mary G. Haskins lived in the home from 1913-1917. A check of the 1914 R. L. Polk city directory has an Emory Wendell living there as a boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Built by the William Starr's Company [[Starr's was fairly prolific building homes all over the City of Detroit). 2100/410 Seminole built in 1913 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI. The home cost $3,500 to build. The original owner Dr. Mary G. Haskins lived in the home from 1913-1917. A check of the 1914 R. L. Polk city directory has an Emory Wendell living there as a boarder.
    Thank you so much! I did some research in the directories on ancestry.com and found that Emory and Jeanie didn't move there until 1913. I believe she was ill at that point, and died in May of 1914. Perhaps they moved in with Dr. Haskins for health care.

The address for them prior to 1913 was 52 Forest Avenue East.

While most of the attention is going to the grander houses in the in the city I've always been intrigued by a house in 1200 block of Van Dyke, near Agnes. It's a whitewashed brick house with the gable turned towards the street, the gable having a chimney centered on it and the upstairs windows are arched. It has a somewhat Regency appearance to it and manages to look both stylish and cozy. As for those grander houses, when I was an undergrad at Wayne in the sixties I fantasized about living in either the Hecker or Whitney houses and walking to classes. As I got to appreciate architecture more I became quite fond of the shingled Arts and Crafts style Freer house around the corner from Col. Hecker's house.

It's curious that his congregation actually bought it for him. It was originally a gift from the Fishers to Bishop Gallagher and no diocesan funds were used for aquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This would be my house before the half million or so one would have to spend to the bring property back.

This is the Dahlinger Estate discussed length here. The I would sit in that upper center window with my afternoon martini and watch dramatic sunsets across the forested flood plain of the Rouge River that spreads out from beyond there.
    The links not working,or just me?

Scratch that found some reference,really interesting history behind that one.

http://www.retrokimmer.com/2011/02/e...dahlinger.html
    Last edited by Richard; October-19-13 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DtCtyGrl View Post
    Thank you so much! I did some research in the directories on ancestry.com and found that Emory and Jeanie didn't move there until 1913. I believe she was ill at that point, and died in May of 1914. Perhaps they moved in with Dr. Haskins for health care.

The address for them prior to 1913 was 52 Forest Avenue East.
    Those houses at the Kercheval corners - including 2100 Seminole which actually faces onto Kercheval - were the only places in Indian Village allowed to have any commercial operations in them. But they were only allowed to have doctor's offices. As a kid I used to go to the doctor whose office was in the house directly across Kercheval from this one.

52 E. Forest was renumbered as 100 E. Forest and was on the block between Woodward and John R, closer to John R. The site is now a vacant lot sometimes used for parking across from the VA Medical Center.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-19-13 at 11:46 AM.

I have said it on this thread and others. I love my arts and crafts 1907 home in Islandview. We only have a few things, mostly cosmetic, to complete. The exception is our garage partially destroyed by a fire bug many years ago that roamed West Village and Islandview. We did not own the home then, but I remember its sweet cottage style. Roof replacement starts this week. No reason to really fix it but just our nostalgia. Even as damaged as it is, it is still a functional garage, one of the few left around here.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Is this house,

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 12.19.04 AM.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  46.0 KB

the remains of this house? It might be the only major Italianate villa left on the waterfront avenues? S. B. Grummond House shown below which was at one point 810 Jefferson [[address from pre 1920's renumbering I think).

Name:  6199281725_8af615efe4_b.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  60.0 KB
    This one would be nice to move to an infill lot in Brush park,toss up between this one and the PD headquarters Mr. Bing wants to demo.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Those houses at the Kercheval corners - including 2100 Seminole which actually faces onto Kercheval - were the only places in Indian Village allowed to have any commercial operations in them. But they were only allowed to have doctor's offices. As a kid I used to go to the doctor whose office was in the house directly across Kercheval from this one.52 E. Forest was renumbered as 100 E. Forest and was on the block between Woodward and John R, closer to John R. The site is now a vacant lot sometimes used for parking across from the VA Medical Center.
    Thanks for the information. I am curious as to why Emory and Jeanie were living with the Dr. Looks like I have some research to do there. I hate that the house at 52/100 East Forest is gone. It looks like they were there for several years. There was an article in a 1908 Good Housekeeping magazine featuring Emory and his woodworking hobby. He had been the President of the First National Bank in the late 1880s through his retirement. Emory and Jeanie had a son, Harmon, living at 425 Seminole during the time they were at 410/2100 Seminole. What would the current house number be for it?

I believe that 425 Seminole is now 2141 Seminole, which is on the west side of Seminole 4 houses up from Kercheval.

This is that house now:

Name:  2141 seminole.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  44.7 KB

EastsideAl, thank you so much. I love to learn more of my own family's history, but I also love to learn Detroit history in general.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I believe that 425 Seminole is now 2141 Seminole, which is on the west side of Seminole 4 houses up from Kercheval.

This is that house now:

Name:  2141 seminole.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  44.7 KB
    A check of the 1920 R. L. Polk city directory has 425 changed to 2141. The home was built by Thomas E. Steverman in 1910 for the Cook Farm Company and cost $2,000 to build. The first owner was Harmon Wendell.

Always loved this one ...Inside and out...Whaler

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast