Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

There are only a handful of streets with boulevards in Detroit and I have a feeling this home is one of the buildings that went down with the ship so to speak. The first Boston-Edison tour I went on there was a long time resident who told us that some of the best homes in B-E were lost to the Lodge Freeway. I think that this one is one of them. Does anyone have any pics of the homes that were lost? On a more positive side George Mason's design for George Woolley 74 Chicago Boulevard.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    There are only a handful of streets with boulevards in Detroit and I have a feeling this home is one of the buildings that went down with the ship so to speak. The first Boston-Edison tour I went on there was a long time resident who told us that some of the best homes in B-E were lost to the Lodge Freeway. I think that this one is one of them. Does anyone have any pics of the homes that were lost? ...
    If we're speculating... [[because that's what I'm doing): Not West Boston Blvd. The Lodge cuts through Boston at Byron. Hamilton, one block to the east, is a real dividing line for the size and general quality of the houses, those to the east, between Woodward and Hamilton have very large lots [[and on the north side, they extend through to the next street). The houses that were lost to the Lodge would have been more like the houses just west of the Lodge. The B-E Centennial Houses from 1905 are all on Longfellow and right close to Woodward. So much for where I think it isn't.

Here's where I think it is: It [[Patrick's picture) looks like it's on East Boston Blvd. Maybe the Hudson [[Eleanor Clay Ford) House on the north side, just east of the John Dodge [[now the Archbishop's House). If not that house, perhaps it stood on the now vacant lot next door. The house pictured in the distance [[in Patrick's pic) looks like it could be the one on the NE corner of East Boston Blvd. & John R.

If I printed a copy of Patrick's Mystery House picture and drove right on over to East Boston, I'd have a definite answer, but it's 11:45 pm and I'm not going anywhere except maybe to the kitchen to make a nice cup of hot chocolate. So speculation is the best I can do tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    If we're speculating... [[because that's what I'm doing): Not West Boston Blvd. The Lodge cuts through Boston at Byron. Hamilton, one block to the east, is a real dividing line for the size and general quality of the houses, those to the east, between Woodward and Hamilton have very large lots [[and on the north side, they extend through to the next street). The houses that were lost to the Lodge would have been more like the houses just west of the Lodge. The B-E Centennial Houses from 1905 are all on Longfellow and right close to Woodward. So much for where I think it isn't.

Here's where I think it is: It [[Patrick's picture) looks like it's on East Boston Blvd. Maybe the Hudson [[Eleanor Clay Ford) House on the north side, just east of the John Dodge [[now the Archbishop's House). If not that house, perhaps it stood on the now vacant lot next door. The house pictured in the distance [[in Patrick's pic) looks like it could be the one on the NE corner of East Boston Blvd. & John R.

If I printed a copy of Patrick's Mystery House picture and drove right on over to East Boston, I'd have a definite answer, but it's 11:45 pm and I'm not going anywhere except maybe to the kitchen to make a nice cup of hot chocolate. So speculation is the best I can do tonight.
    You are correct it is 121 East Boston Boulevard! The chimney on the west side of the home is the biggest clue. But 121 was built by Joseph R. McLaughlin not J.L. Hudson. Hudson purchased the house 11 years after it was built. Where did the first plat go to Byron or Woodrow Wilson? I have never seen a map of the original layout, does anyone have one? I was in one of the 2 homes on the south side Chicago between the Lodge and Byron many years ago and they were saying that even though they were on the other side of the Lodge they were part of the original portion of B-E.

You are correct it is 121 East Boston Boulevard! The chimney on the west side of the home is the biggest clue. But 121 was built by Joseph R. McLaughlin not J.L. Hudson. Hudson purchased the house 11 years after it was built. Where did the first plat go to Byron or Woodrow Wilson? I have never seen a map of the original layout, does anyone have one? I was in one of the 2 homes on the south side Chicago between the Lodge and Byron many years ago and they were saying that even though they were on the other side of the Lodge they were part of the original portion of B-E.
    From the Boston-Edison website:
    "The Boston-Edison area was designed and developed by some of Detroit's most prominent turn-of-the century citizens. Edward Voigt foresaw the logical growth of Detroit along Woodward Avenue and began acquiring land as early as 1884, platting the area between Woodward and Hamiliton [[Voigt Park Subdivision) in 1891. Voigt Park Subdivision was incorporated into the city limits in 1891 with Hamiliton being the city line. The first homes in the current Boston-Edison historic district were built and occupied in 1905.Voigt established the character of a new residential area by designing boulevards and streets, establishing building restrictions that assured a mix of palatial homes and substantial housing on spacious lots and setting aside land for a park between Second and Third, Longfellow and Edison -- now known as Voigt Park. The initial pattern developed by Voigt was followed by subsequent prominent citizens in their subdivision development. In 1913, Truman and John Newberry developed the Boston Boulevard Subdivision between Hamilton and 12th St. [[now Rosa Parks). Two years later, Henry B. Joy designed of the Joy Farms Subdivision, stretching from 12th Street to Linwood. Both the Boston Boulevard and Joy Farms subdivisions were annexed by the city in 1915."
    http://www.historicbostonedison.org/history.shtml

Atkinson shares some of the same subdivisions as Edison, e.g.: Guerolds Sub includes Edison and Atkinson from Hamilton to Woodrow Wilson.

Each street in each of the B-E subdivisions had different requirements for lot size, set back from the street, and house size and cost. The largest being Boston Blvd. in the Voigt Park Sub, then lessening in each street to the south. Then further lessening in the subdivisions to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    From the Boston-Edison website:
    "The Boston-Edison area was designed and developed by some of Detroit's most prominent turn-of-the century citizens. Edward Voigt foresaw the logical growth of Detroit along Woodward Avenue and began acquiring land as early as 1884, platting the area between Woodward and Hamiliton [[Voigt Park Subdivision) in 1891. Voigt Park Subdivision was incorporated into the city limits in 1891 with Hamiliton being the city line. The first homes in the current Boston-Edison historic district were built and occupied in 1905.Voigt established the character of a new residential area by designing boulevards and streets, establishing building restrictions that assured a mix of palatial homes and substantial housing on spacious lots and setting aside land for a park between Second and Third, Longfellow and Edison -- now known as Voigt Park. The initial pattern developed by Voigt was followed by subsequent prominent citizens in their subdivision development. In 1913, Truman and John Newberry developed the Boston Boulevard Subdivision between Hamilton and 12th St. [[now Rosa Parks). Two years later, Henry B. Joy designed of the Joy Farms Subdivision, stretching from 12th Street to Linwood. Both the Boston Boulevard and Joy Farms subdivisions were annexed by the city in 1915."
    http://www.historicbostonedison.org/history.shtml

Atkinson shares some of the same subdivisions as Edison, e.g.: Guerolds Sub includes Edison and Atkinson from Hamilton to Woodrow Wilson.

Each street in each of the B-E subdivisions had different requirements for lot size, set back from the street, and house size and cost. The largest being Boston Blvd. in the Voigt Park Sub, then lessening in each street to the south. Then further lessening in the subdivisions to the west.
    Right there in front of me! I really dislike the B-E website but its looks like there is always more info than one thinks. I still would like to see what was lost on all 5 streets including Atkinson.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    776 are friends of mine and confirm that its Platt - will see if I can get where they got their info. Not sure about any others.

Anyone have an idea who did 1501 Seminole? I assumed Stratton because of its similarities to the Society of Arts and Crafts but haven't been able to confirm. Love it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/southof...57622655941678

I had thought that 7660 LaSalle might be Richard Marr but not confirmed. http://www.flickr.com/photos/southof...57626346346777
    There is a great cluster of buildings just south of the park including this one by Gehrke. 7604 LaSalle Blvd, Detroit

Wondered whether 7477 LaSallemight be George Mason. http://www.flickr.com/photos/southof...57626346346777

On another note, anyone attending the Society of Architectural Historians conference in Detroit in April? There are a few sessions on Detroit. Looking forward to it!

Great great great. You guys are great.
    I have not been able to get to the info until today but to add fuel to the fire over Platt and Indian Village is a biography done by the Saginaw Art Museum for a show of Platt's painting. I also had a chance to look at a comprehensive book on Platt's works and there is no mention of any commission in Indian Village. Would love to know where the info on 776 was gathered.

I may have read it in this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Platt-...3496785&sr=1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thx for all the info, finding a few homes that might be still standing if they are the real deal.

I have not been able to get to the info until today but to add fuel to the fire over Platt and Indian Village is a biography done by the Saginaw Art Museum for a show of Platt's painting. I also had a chance to look at a comprehensive book on Platt's works and there is no mention of any commission in Indian Village. Would love to know where the info on 776 was gathered.
    Back in the digital universe again - will attempt to find out about Platt...

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Back in the digital universe again - will attempt to find out about Platt...
    Nice to have you back I posted a few pics for you while you were gone.

I joined this community yesterday after finding this great thread by Googling the address of my Great-Grandmother's residence "211 Arden Park". My Mother actually lived their the first six years of her life and was amazed to learn that it had appeared in "House Beautiful" magazine in 1914. She also said that she remembers visiting a member of the Traub family in Grosse Pointe, so we are now wondering if there was an earlier connection between the families that lead to the sale of the house to our Nolan family in 1926. The Nolans and then my Byrne family lived at 211 Arden Park until about 1943.Name:  10B Stantonanniv1931.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  51.7 KBName:  11BStantonaniv3.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  39.4 KBName:  12B Arden Park32.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  48.2 KBName:  14B.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  52.5 KBName:  15B.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  43.2 KBName:  16B.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  46.1 KBName:  17B.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  45.7 KBName:  18B.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  51.6 KBName:  19B.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  52.3 KB

I then went back to visit the old Detroit family homes in the Fall of 2010, and learned that 211 Arden Park was not long for this world:Name:  DSC03326.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  53.1 KBName:  DSC03327.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  47.6 KBName:  DSC03330.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  43.1 KBName:  DSC03332.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  58.1 KBName:  DSC03338.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  49.9 KBName:  DSC03344.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  78.6 KBName:  DSC03345.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  35.1 KBName:  DSC03346.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  31.1 KBName:  DSC03349.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB

Welcome to the forum RayP. Also terrific pics of 211.

From Patrick's list, but not completely documented. Does anyone have more information?

Probable George Mason designs:

548 East Grand Boulevard built in 1909?
    628 Taylor built in 1909

If they are his work I like that even Mason was not above reusing similar designs.

RaypMcConnell, thank you for sharing those classic pictures. Of course the current pics tear my heart out. I thought my home was built in 1903 but it turns out 1909. A good portion of our block is now urban prairie. The weather being nice today, we took a stroll around and my heart breaks a bit more. Fantastic old homes brutilized within the past six months.

We consider our home to be a legacy house and just wish more people cared about old homes in neighborhoods that aren't IV or BE

Welcome to Detroityes, Ray! This is a great online "community" with folks from all walks of life. Most live in the Detroit area, but some [[like myself) have had to relocate to other places.

Regarding 211 Arden Park...I just happened across the article from "House Beautiful" on EBay a few years back and bought it for a couple of bucks. The house has Pewabic tile and was a great Hans Gehrke design. I think the Traub Brothers were jewelers and I know one of them built a house out in Bloomfield somewhere that had an amazing amount of Pewabic tile...perhaps the most Pewabic of any private residence.

Thanks for the pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    RaypMcConnell, thank you for sharing those classic pictures. Of course the current pics tear my heart out. I thought my home was built in 1903 but it turns out 1909. A good portion of our block is now urban prairie. The weather being nice today, we took a stroll around and my heart breaks a bit more. Fantastic old homes brutilized within the past six months.

We consider our home to be a legacy house and just wish more people cared about old homes in neighborhoods that aren't IV or BE
    sumas what street is your home on?

There is am amazing white "chateau" style home in Palmer Woods on Wellesley between Lowell and Gloucester that I have always wondered about. It is across the way from the massive Alfred Fisher mansion. Any info in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by RayPMcConnell View Post
    I joined this community yesterday after finding this great thread by Googling the address of my Great-Grandmother's residence "211 Arden Park". My Mother actually lived their the first six years of her life and was amazed to learn that it had appeared in "House Beautiful" magazine in 1914. She also said that she remembers visiting a member of the Traub family in Grosse Pointe, so we are now wondering if there was an earlier connection between the families that lead to the sale of the house to our Nolan family in 1926. The Nolans and then my Byrne family lived at 211 Arden Park until about 1943.Name:  10B Stantonanniv1931.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  51.7 KBName:  11BStantonaniv3.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  39.4 KBName:  12B Arden Park32.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  48.2 KBName:  14B.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  52.5 KBName:  15B.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  43.2 KBName:  16B.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  46.1 KBName:  17B.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  45.7 KBName:  18B.jpg
Size:  51.6 KBName:  19B.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  52.3 KB
    Welcome Ray,
    Here are some more interior photos from that HB article in 1914. These go along with those I posted in post #207 on page 9 of this thread.

Name:  Arden Park #3.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  53.4 KB
    Name:  Arden Park #4.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  59.9 KB

Default Thank you so much for posting those!

I've never been inside the house, so this information is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ray McConnell

Here's a picture of my Grandmother in her wedding dress in 1933 in front of the fireplace and mural referred to in the article on 211 Arden Park in House Beautiful:Name:  22.5B.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  49.9 KB

Here's an all-time favorite of mine of the family at Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room, also referred to in the 1914 HB article [[the side chairs appear to be the same):Name:  9B.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  33.6 KB
    Last edited by RayPMcConnell; April-04-12 at 10:01 PM.

I wonder if Hans Gehrke designed the furnishings for the house...much like the way that Leonard Willeke designed the furniture for many of his residential works.

This would be my house before the half million or so one would have to spend to the bring property back.

This is the Dahlinger Estate discussed length here. The I would sit in that upper center window with my afternoon martini and watch dramatic sunsets across the forested flood plain of the Rouge River that spreads out from beyond there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This would be my house before the half million or so one would have to spend to the bring property back.

This is the Dahlinger Estate discussed length here. The I would sit in that upper center window with my afternoon martini and watch dramatic sunsets across the forested flood plain of the Rouge River that spreads out from beyond there.
    Does anyone know who designed the home?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast