Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Riots in London

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Yes Patrick we do have GG's and Lt. GG's, we also have speakers of the house and many other positions because we are a parliamentary democracy. But this isn't money going to the queen. Your gov't aslo has useless positions that are paid as well but that doesn't mean the president gets that cash.

Oldredfordette, yes the bithc is on some of our bills, so is Sir Laurier, Sir MacDonald and even Terry Fox was on our dollar. But does that mean the money goes to the queen? No. Just like the heirs of Washington don't get any money for Georgie being on your money. According to you they would.

The money the gov't sends to the queen for taxes or upkeep of her properties is far outewighed by the taxes collected from tourists and those employed by the house of Windsor and those employees in the tourist trade.
    All these GG's and Lt GG's are equivalent to money going to the queen. I would rather some of that went to milk fund for schools instead. 10 lt governors plus one GGeneral and then who pays for the queenly visit to Canada. What do these honorary functions do apart from spotlighting the crudeness
    of entitlements? I am not for the rioting in England, but Prince Charlie needs a little tempest in his teacup once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Re-read the farking post. I bitched about a rich liittle shit ruining a war memorial. I could give two shits about whether there is a monarchy or not.
    I dont give much for the monarchy either, just counted how many asses and pissing in your posts. Bottom line.

Is it true that the British Monarchy brings in tourist dollars or is that a bunch of bullshit? Are the royals really that much of an attraction?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Is it true that the British Monarchy brings in tourist dollars or is that a bunch of bullshit? Are the royals really that much of an attraction?
    Damn, with their antics and infidelities they alone support a massive tabloid industry and its countless paparazzi. I guess the real test would be if they ran the royals as a business. I'd bet the brand is worth several billions before you even touched their castles, palaces and jewel collections. They are a major tourist attraction. Just stand outside Buckingham Palace to see.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    California bankrupt, liberal controlled [[arnold is a lib)
    Illionois, Bankrupt liberals, New York, bankrupt, liberals on and on and on.
    You're massively off on your analysis.

Arnold is socially moderate but financially conservative. As a matter of fact he adheres to the Austrian school of economics. Economically Chicago is all about Milton Friedman, the ultimate freemarketer [[he developed and espoused his theories at U-Chicago). New York is Wall Street - and you consider that dog-eat-dog liberal?

Goat, I think you're in denial. But if you want to love your royal masters, that's fine with me. It makes me glad that every time I went to London, I avoided that big ugly house like the plague.

littlebuddy Guest

So many say that teachers are not paid enough, that it is a tough job and all, so why should the students complain if tuition goes up, after all the teachers need the money. Seems like a lot of people in another thread here supported the teachers.

Are you aware that the riots were in England, where they are facing a different set of problems?

Britain and its' House of Windsor have a sort of symbiotic relationship.... the government spends money on the royals... but then the royals generate a lot of tourism and trinkets dollars for Britain.

When there is a state dinner at the White House... you can bet that everything is purchased at a store.

When there is a state dinner at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle, you can bet that most of the food used for the dinner is obtained from the 100 acre green houses at Windsor, or from the herds at one of the royal estates.

Much of the land owned by the crown was land confiscated by Henry VIII from 1536-39 with the dissolution of the monastaries [[when Britain started the march toward Protestantism). Before the time of Henry, one could travel the 80 miles from Oxford to Cambridge practically without leaving church lands.

Yes the Duchy of Cornwall is where Prince Charles makes his money, from working the estates. And the Queen has a lot of estates herself. But since the time of Albert [[Prince Consort to Queen Victoria)... the royals have been earning a lot of income off of farming and herding. Also, a lot of people are employeed by the royals.

For anyone who has watched the PBS special on the Royals.... they do serve a valuable purpose diplomatically as well as for tourism. The Queen is the head of the British Commonwealth.

Why each Canadian province has a Lt. Governor General... is probably an anachronism from the Dominion days.... don't know... don't care... that's their problem.

Queen Elizabeth can trace her lineage back thru 18 British Sovereigns going back to Edward the Confessor [[died 1066). Royalty may not suit everyone... but as long as the Brits want it that way [[and make a bundle of money off of it)... who are we mere Americans [[and Canadians) to have a say....

They may have their inbred fake rulers if they want. I reserve the right to bitch about them as the British had the right to complain about George W Bush [[we were both right). The best thing you can say about them is their habit of marrying cousins keeps the hemophelia in the family where it belongs, except in the case of Harry, who looks exactly like his father.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Arnold is socially moderate but financially conservative. As a matter of fact he adheres to the Austrian school of economics. Economically Chicago is all about Milton Friedman, the ultimate freemarketer [[he developed and espoused his theories at U-Chicago). New York is Wall Street - and you consider that dog-eat-dog liberal?
    Arnold is 'financially conservative' only when compared with California Democrats. Although from Austria, Arnold does not adhere to 'to the Austrian school of economics'.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Beer isn't $10 a can.
    I don't think they'd be out in the streets if it was. It would take a confluence of that, cable teevee going out, McDonalds closing, pro-sports on strike,coffee shortages, gas prices spiking and everyone having to do their own landscaping again. Oh yeah, AC not working.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I don't think they'd be out in the streets if it was. It would take a confluence of that, cable teevee going out, McDonalds closing, pro-sports on strike,coffee shortages, gas prices spiking and everyone having to do their own landscaping again. Oh yeah, AC not working.
    Marlon Brando as Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now;sotto voce:

The horror; the horror.

Oldredfordette.... one of the things that I do dislike about the Brits... is they are still a "class" based society in many respects. It may be a little harsh to focus on the Royals... since they spend so much of their time devoted to chartiable causes.

But the British aristocracy still follow their blue-blood ways. It's amazing at how much property in Britain is owned by so few people [[aristocrats and upper class monied gentry). In London alone the Duke of Westminster owns [[and leases) huge tracts of land in central London, some of the most expensive real estate in the world.

If anything I see Britain today as the USA will be in a few years... the diminishment of the middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    They may have their inbred fake rulers if they want. I reserve the right to bitch about them as the British had the right to complain about George W Bush [[we were both right). The best thing you can say about them is their habit of marrying cousins keeps the hemophelia in the family where it belongs, except in the case of Harry, who looks exactly like his father.
    oldredfordette.

Thanks for using that word; "inbred" and for tagging it to a valid subject. One of my favorite words in the english language. I just hope it doesnt become too popular like "awesome" among the youth.
    Use it sparingly and always with a proper target. Thanks again!

... yes Queen Victoria married her first cousin [[her mom's brother's son) Albert... and voila her 5th [[youngest) son the Duke of Albany died in his 20s of Hemophilia. The genes for it were also passed down thru her 2nd daugher Alice... the mother of Alexandra. Alexandra was of course became the wife of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia... and their young son Alexis had it as well.

Princess May of Teck [[later Queen Mary, grandmother of Elizabeth II) also was related, but not as close as 1st cousin. Ditto for Elizabeth II and her husband Philip Mountbatten are related [[again not as close as 1st cousin)... and Elizabeth's uncle was Lord Mountbatten [[of WWII fame).

So I guess that Prince William's future marriage to Kate Middleton [[12th cousin) is a little more distant.

But when one looks at Prince Charles.... the thought of inbreeding does come to mind...

I guess the younger royals can be thankful for some of that Spencer blood via Princess Diana...

If one were to look at the family tree of the British royals... the best name would be Saxe-Coburg-Windsor-Hannover-Battenberg-Mountbatten.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-13-10 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    So many say that teachers are not paid enough, that it is a tough job and all, so why should the students complain if tuition goes up, after all the teachers need the money.
    That is about as stupid as saying the high cost of health care is due to doctors making too much money.

Littlebuddy, do you listen to anything other than Fox and AM radio?

littlebuddy Guest

no, what else is there?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2