Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    Downriviera, I think it's called a "man bag."

I have heard it called a "murse".

bartock Guest

I like the sign, it smacks of tongue-in-cheek to me.

I would never stop to get gas at Mack and Chalmers. It was nice to see it re-opened, but that is not a good spot. Mack and Alter is bigger and better lit.

I thought there was a thread on this not so long ago, but there is s full service station on Mack between Vernier and 9 mile, closer to 9 mile. It is a Shell I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    ... are there any stations anywhere in metro Detroit where you can still get full service gasoline?
    I've never verified it myself but I keep seeing one labeled as such at DetroitGasPrices.com. It's supposedly a Marathon at 7764 Macomb St near Lyons St in Grosse Ile. It's often the most expensive gas in the area though. This must be the place: Richardson Service.

In case it matters, I've heard there's a law that all gas stations must offer assistance to handicapped people if asked. Problem is, most folks don't know it.

There are full service gas stations in St. Clair Shores at Jefferson & 9 Mile... or should I say they have full service pumps, as well as self serve.... both the BP and the Shell at that corner.

And at the gas station on the NE corner of McNichols and the Southfield Service Drive... there is a decent fellow nicknamed "Old School"... who will gladly pump your gas for you for a tip.

LOL! Well stated. I work in that area and just avoid all the gas stations there. Indeed it is 'purse' stealing SEASON in terms of increased incident. You never can let up your vigilance to keep your belongings yours....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ...Of course, by making people read the sign, they will be at least temporarily distracted from their surroundings and potentially MORE vulnerable.

Maybe a more generic, Keep Your EYES Open and report any suspicious behavior to the attendant. Plus, there should be emergency alert buttons at the pumps...for many reasons.

Oh yes, I know that station... I live not too far from there. I'll keep it in mind should I get caught short of gas in the city.
    For a bump of a tip, the station at Linwood and Boston has a fellow who will pump your gas.

He is at least sanctioned by the station, and also performs constant clean-up...so he MAY be an employee. They have another fellow inside who seems to be a bouncer, and now actually chats me up since I spend so much time in there with Buddy Smith...who knows the whole neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I have heard it called a "murse".
    It's a European carry-all.

Default Car-jacked?

LOL, so it IS the sign at that Mobil station on Jefferson.

Lucky you didn't get car-jacked, although our detective friend in the GPPP says the station at Mack and Chalmers is worse.
    Funny you mentioned Car-jacked..about 19 years ago [[last time I lived in Detroit area) I was coming home from work when I lived in the cabbage patch on Maryland and St Paul. I parked on the street in front of my flat and this young lad comes up to my window and says "check it in"... thats how professionals did it back in the heyday of carjackings in Detroit! Anyway I decided to extricate myself from the situation and hit him with the side of my car while he put a round in my trunk! So I have the car-jack qual and he got 7-15 for felonious assualt and we both lived happily ever after.

Look at this this sign, this is the scariest sign I pass everday!

The lack of design for Detroit's welcome sign has always amazed me [[though that's the least of our problems)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Look at this this sign, this is the scariest sign I pass everday!

And I thought it was just here in the south

Default I guess she failed to read the sign

Woman shot in robbery attempt at Detroit gas station

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101228/...#ixzz19R8WhPPF

Just another day in the "D"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2