Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Having just helped putting together a small town budget that's still 50k out of wack, snow removal IS a big issue. In our little town of 900 [[with revenues shrinking each of the past 3 years) 100 hours of overtime x2 employees [[about 6k) is a big thing. A bad winter and it will approach the point were plowing decisions may not be made on need but dollars.

I would hate to have to multiply that decision by a city the size of Detroit. Or even Ferndale for that matter......

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Having just helped putting together a small town budget that's still 50k out of wack, snow removal IS a big issue. In our little town of 900 [[with revenues shrinking each of the past 3 years) 100 hours of overtime x2 employees [[about 6k) is a big thing. A bad winter and it will approach the point were plowing decisions may not be made on need but dollars.

I would hate to have to multiply that decision by a city the size of Detroit. Or even Ferndale for that matter......

Why does it have to be OVERtime? Why cannot this be their regularly scheduled work time?! Heck, we all love flextime...and some revel in being heroes. I know a guy who worked for little running a tow truck, he got his satisfaction helping others in need.

Oh wait...they only get $30 per hour in OVERTIME? LOL...whoa. There goes the myth of overpaid city workers. I assume these guys have a bit of seniority? Installers at hifi stores earn $20 per hour after they're trained and self-sufficient. Or are hifi installers now considered overpaid in this economy?

Why not start a volunteer snow removal force, then?! Driving in the snow HAS to be more easily trained than fighting fires. There is no rocket science involved, just the fortitude to face the elements when most people would rather stay by the fireplace.

Cheers