Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

They'll find the shooter, because of who the victim is [[hopefully not who he was) and the location where it happened [[I think Cockrell lives right by there) If we were talking about some poor schmuck who lived on Garland or Memorial or something the police probablly wouldn't even bother looking.

This just doesn't add up. Was he shot multiple times? I can't believe DYers are so divided on this!

Ravine Guest

Well, taken on its own, this thread will never "add up," having been reduced to discontinuity & senselessness by numerous deletions.
    Doesn't seem like a forum, more like a wall where some graffiti remains and some is painted over.

I heard a rumor that it was two of his students from MTH310 who he gave failing grades to.
    One Italian and one Romanian from Royal Oak looking for revenge by scaring him and taking his money but it got out of hand.

Could just be a rumor, although nothing in the posted article refutes these details.

johnny1954 Guest

My friend got shot and died yesterday
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20101203-wpms

That's awful! I wish with all my heart his jive alarm had gone off BEFORE he got in the car with these guys. Warm wishes for peace for the family and friends.

Paddington Guest

Detroit will never recover. 30 years from now, the young hipsters will say all the people of our current age were just a bunch of dumb racists who escaped Detroit due to misplaced "fears". Then they'll go and move in, and think some shit part of Detroit is turning around because a few new buildings are put up [[whilst others crumble). 'Course nothing will change and Detroit overall will continue to lose people because it's a failed city that can't enforce the basic social contract.

johnny1954 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Detroit will never recover. 30 years from now, the young hipsters will say all the people of our current age were just a bunch of dumb racists who escaped Detroit due to misplaced "fears". Then they'll go and move in, and think some shit part of Detroit is turning around because a few new buildings are put up [[whilst others crumble). 'Course nothing will change and Detroit overall will continue to lose people because it's a failed city that can't enforce the basic social contract.
    Seems to be the case. From a historical perspective, Detroits rise and fall was extremely fast. We have not hit bottom yet. Detroit and the surrounding area have many challenges still to face. If I had the money, I would head out of the area.

No, I'm sure the city will turn around, simply because the current state of things isn't indefinitely sustainable. Whether it turns around in our lifetimes is another matter -- but I am betting that it will.

johnny1954 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    No, I'm sure the city will turn around, simply because the current state of things isn't indefinitely sustainable. Whether it turns around in our lifetimes is another matter -- but I am betting that it will.
    or Detroit could go the way of Carthage....

Stosh Guest

Sustainable? You are in the wrong thread for that, aren't you?

Of course it isn't sustainable. You can't have a city run like this, with crime like this, for very long. Naturally something will have to give. The prospects may improve, but when, as you say, is another matter altogether. The way the national and state governments are being run brings me to believe that there isn't going to be much help from either coming over the horizon.

I'd think that the citizens of Detroit, and the surrounding communities, should either man up and take responsibility for their own backyard, or get out of Dodge altogether.

Paddington Guest

America should use one of its own stockpiled nukes on Detroit. Give everyone a 48 hour notice to clear out. Better yet, give all the native Detroiters one way bus tickets to Atlanta or Tampa, FL or whatever Southern place they all rave about all the time. After 50 years once the radiation has cleared, it might be fit for human habitation again.

*Not that they should do this right away of course. I suggest waiting about 5 years. I will be comfortably far away from the Detroit area by then.

Yes, I heard and started a thread on that incident. Very sad and senseless.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1954 View Post
    My friend got shot and died yesterday
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20101203-wpms

Ya know Paddington....the population of Windsor might have a problem with that.

America should use one of its own stockpiled nukes on Detroit.
    Canada and all the Great Lakes states would beg to differ, along with an increasingly thirsty Western U.S.

Look, something has to give when it comes to the underclass, not just in Detroit, but nationwide. Either we need to find a way to increase the number of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs that pay a living wage, institutionalize them, or resort to more frightening measures that other human societies have chosen [[and that I will fight against until my last breath). There are no other options. We can't continue to do this laissez-faire crap and expect civilization as we know it to continue. How far are we willing to run and hide from those who have been completely dehumanized, and value neither their lives nor yours?

Hah, here we go -- content and intent wise.... There are 'other' specialty sites where others ponder and postulate this er-um 'option' for pages. Yeah, right!
    America should use one of its own stockpiled nukes on Detroit. Give everyone a 48 hour notice to clear out. Better yet, give all the native Detroiters one way bus tickets to Atlanta or Tampa, FL or whatever Southern place they all rave about all the time. After 50 years once the radiation has cleared, it might be fit for human habitation again.

*Not that they should do this right away of course. I suggest waiting about 5 years. I will be comfortably far away from the Detroit area by then.

They'd be collateral damage I guess ........
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Ya know Paddington....the population of Windsor might have a problem with that.

johnny1954 Guest

doubtful Detroit is going to have a "reset" button of any kind like war, bombs, hurricane, earthquake or other disaster. Detroits fate lies with a more torturous end. Unplanned, uncoordinated decline. People of various shades and backgrounds engaging in cannibalistic like behaviors blaming eachother for the decline but never taking action on their own part.A symbolic effort on the economic leaders of this region to physically move back into the city would be a start. But I dont see Mike Illitch moving into the D anytime soon.

I hear you. We've already had the 'symbolic' effort from leaders to get people to move back, but so long as the predatory crime qoutient remains high most will not. Those born here stay more readily due to family ties and economic. But mass return based on symbolism is not going to happen. The high crime must be addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny1954 View Post
    doubtful Detroit is going to have a "reset" button of any kind like war, bombs, hurricane, earthquake or other disaster. Detroits fate lies with a more torturous end. Unplanned, uncoordinated decline. People of various shades and backgrounds engaging in cannibalistic like behaviors blaming eachother for the decline but never taking action on their own part.A symbolic effort on the economic leaders of this region to physically move back into the city would be a start. But I dont see Mike Illitch moving into the D anytime soon.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-10 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    They'd be collateral damage I guess ........

In my opinion, Detrot will never recover, and those who think otherwise are totally unreallistic and living in a dream world. It is sad, but true. I have such great memories of Detroit, after living there 40 years.

Maybe not a nuke. Maybe a few pounds of strategically placed thermite to make some puddles of molten metal.

I don't really see how it can be denied that Detroit's single biggest problem is some of its residents. While no doubt nuclear weapons could eliminate those people [[neutron bombs preferred) I would favor a more precise approach.

That more precise approach would be effective law enforcement, which Detroit has not had since I was a child, if then. The fact that no serious attempt has been made to get control of the city's crime in that time is the biggest indictment of the political establishment of the city and state. We know a lot more about how to control crime than we did 40 years ago, and in most big cities in the US crime is under better control. Not in Detroit.

Since 9/11, there have been as many excess homicides in Detroit [[homicides above what would occur at the national rate) than there were people killed on that occasion. While I think a lot of what has happened since then is an overreaction, the US government didn't say that there is nothing we can do about terrorism because those are bad people who grew up in bad places with bad values, yet that appears to be that attitude that is taken toward urban crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Maybe not a nuke. Maybe a few pounds of strategically placed thermite to make some puddles of molten metal.
    LOL, nice!

How long until it would cool enough that we could scrap it all, then?

Canada and all the Great Lakes states would beg to differ, along with an increasingly thirsty Western U.S.

Look, something has to give when it comes to the underclass, not just in Detroit, but nationwide. Either we need to find a way to increase the number of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs that pay a living wage, institutionalize them, or resort to more frightening measures that other human societies have chosen [[and that I will fight against until my last breath). There are no other options. We can't continue to do this laissez-faire crap and expect civilization as we know it to continue. How far are we willing to run and hide from those who have been completely dehumanized, and value neither their lives nor yours?
    Bingo , English you hit the nail on the head. I think you are seeing the beginning stages of what effects a declining middle class will have on a city like Detroit.
    With a real unemployment rate of around 50% for residents of Detroit proper, you will have the poor, the working poor [[used to be middle class), and relatively well off [[few truly rich will live in Detroit proper). You will see more private security patrols in the better areas of the city. How well you do under this type of environment will have more to do with how much and what kind of education you have rather than how hard you are willing to physically work.

People will be able to run and hide from this as long as they can have private security, gated communities, and shop in the burbs. In other words the less contact with the underclass the better.

The good part is that these things like most things in life goes thru cycles. It took around 30 years of laissez-faire economic policies to get to this. It may take another 30 to see some balance again. I doubt if I will see it, hopefully you will.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast