Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Vic,
    I'm really surprised at you. Fabricating is different from failing to attribute, which is the issue in the Slate story you linked to. The detroityes thread has to do with story-poaching, which also is not fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post

Wouldn't make up or fabricate mean that he said something happened when it didn't or a fact he reported wasn't true? That's not evident in either of the links you posted.

not a fan of this guy whatsoever

in fact im now feeling much better about my choice to not own a TV

He's a plagiarist. 'nuff said.

Blarf - what the hell do YOU do that is so noteworthy and perfect...that deserves a Pulitzer ? If you are going to shoot your face off about somebody, put the damn cards on the table.

What do you do ?

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Blarf - what the hell do YOU do that is so noteworthy and perfect...that deserves a Pulitzer ?
    I do everything perfect. I am a God.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Their attempt to mix presenting the news with entertaining you in odd ways is abysmal. Way too much silly stuff for my liking.
    When I'm watching the news, I'm looking for information, not to be entertained. What's happened to news nationwide is pathetic. HLN [[formerly HNN) is a classic example. I really can't even watch it any more it's gotten soooooooooooo bad.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."
    — Mark Twain

I'll take the infotainment with a heavy does of skepticism.

Rather than hire the man-about-town Charlie LeDuff, I'd rather see Fox 2 News have a segment similar to the "Heritage Highlights" on CBC-Windsor, traditionally channel 9 in Detroit. On HH, a familiar or historic building in the Windsor area is profiled and it's history is reported. There are so many buildings in the Detroit area that the casual viewer is familiar with but lack the historical significance or provenance for. A "Heritage Highlights" like that in Detroit would aid preservationists trying to sustain public interest and combat demolition by neglect besides giving the general public an appreciation for the treasures that surround them.

I found this youtube footage of Leduff on the day of the initial Kilpatrick plea bargain announcement in 2008.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH66d...eature=channel

I have to admit, that video made me laugh, but that was Charlie at his journalistic worst: Making fun of people and mugging for the camera. On the other hand, check out his report and story on the Fox 2 website from Friday. That is Charlie at his journalistic best.

He tells how the city recently dismissed a lieutenant in the DFD. The lieutenant happens to be the person who told federal authoritites of how firefighter Walt Harris' emergency equipment malfunctioned after the roof collapsed inside a burning house, burying Harris in debris and killing him. Had the emergency alert sounded, it would have made it easier for his colleagues to find him under the junk. OSHA fined the city $20,000 and singled out the malfunction in its report. This is an outrage, and LeDuff is the only journalist in town reporting it.

Default Charlie Leduff--annoying, creepy, or both

Fox 2 has put this guy on tv--he should stick to writing. I don't know if its his tone or what, but I can't listen to him.

Just saw a quick 10 p.m. news segment with Chuck talking with Huel Perkins in the newsroom. I got the impression from LeDuff's mumbling diction he is happier as a newspaper guy, but likely he'll grow into his new role. At least he's forced to dress up [[argyle sweaters!) for the part.

Augustiner Guest

There's a perfect word for what Charlie LeDuff is, and if you try to type it on this forum it turns into a string of periods.

Every year, David Brooks, an opinion-editorial contributor to the NYTimes, recognizes excellence in writing by awarding the author with a Sidney Award. I'm not sure who Sidney is nor what is actually sent to the winners. It may be considered recognition by one's peers for a job well done. Anyway, David Brooks recognized Charlie LeDuff for his article for Mother Jones magazine about the young girl who was killed in a police raid in Detroit.

From the NYTimes: There’s been a lot written about Detroit, but Charlie LeDuff’s essay “Who Killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones” in Mother Jones packs a special power. It starts with a killing of a little girl in a police raid, then pulls back to the idiotic murder of a teenage boy that precipitated the raid — that murder victim may have smirked at his killer for riding a moped.

Then LeDuff touches on the decay all around — a city in which 80 percent of the eighth graders are unable to do basic math, the crime lab was closed because of ineptitude, 500 fires are set every month and 50 percent of the drivers are operating without a license.

LeDuff, a former reporter for The Times, travels from broad context to the specific details — from the collapse of the industrial economy to the fact that a local minister was left with the girl’s $4,000 funeral costs, claiming the girl’s father ran off with the donations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/op...lines&emc=a212

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2