Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Why not? I don't think any of the Compuware building exists where parts of the Hudson's building was standing.
    Compuware wasn't going to build next door to an abandoned 33 story building. Tearing down Hudson's was done, in part, to lure Compuware downtown.

From the FREEP web site today:
    "The Hidden World of Old Cass Technical High School"

The story: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

The slideshow: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...d-of-Cass-Tech

What chaps me [[and other taxpayers) are quotes like this:

[[1) "Closed: Disrepair led to the school shutting its doors....
    [[2) "Teachers, students and administrators left behind hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of desks, chairs, award-winning artwork, report cards, yearbooks, televisions, hundreds of unused books, lab supplies, at least seven pianos and computers.

Who was responsible for not maintaining the building? Maybe if it was maintained the DPS would not have spent $150 Million to build New Cass Tech.

Why the waste of taxpayer's money in leaving behind hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment and supplies?

And folks wonder why there is a taxpayer revolt going on? It's the waste and irresponsibility that gripes people.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post

[[2) "Teachers, students and administrators left behind hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of desks, chairs, award-winning artwork, report cards, yearbooks, televisions, hundreds of unused books, lab supplies, at least seven pianos and computers.

Who was responsible for not maintaining the building? Maybe if it was maintained the DPS would not have spent $150 Million to build New Cass Tech.

Why the waste of taxpayer's money in leaving behind hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment and supplies?

And folks wonder why there is a taxpayer revolt going on? It's the waste and irresponsibility that gripes people.
    Once again, teachers and administrators at the old Cass Tech were TOLD to leave behind everything. The district would be moving things to other buildings. IF we moved our old things into the new Cass Tech, there would be ZERO room for it, since we were all going from having our own rooms to one desk and one cabinet. IF we took district books, materials, and supplies home OR donated them, it would be considered stealing district property. So we left things as is, the purported "moving company" never came, and the debacle you see in those pictures happened.

Cass Tech is not unique in giving this directive; my parents and grandfather worked at the old Roosevelt warehouse in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and other friends of the family worked in buildings that closed down. My grandfather [[a Cass Tech grad), seeing the writing on the wall, brought home books that were to be burned. I learned how to read when I was 2, and the warehouse eventually was ruined.

If any reporters are reading this, and plan to write another news story about the move out of the old Cass Tech building, please feel free to contact me. I'm more than happy to be interviewed so that you can hear WHAT happened in those last few months, and I am in contact with OTHERS willing to be interviewed. It's tiresome repeating myself on a message board every time someone has their eureka! moment, but as always, no one ever asks us.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Once again, teachers and administrators at the old Cass Tech were TOLD to leave behind everything. The district would be moving things to other buildings.
    Cass Tech is not unique in giving this directive; my parents and grandfather worked at the old Roosevelt warehouse in the late 1970s/early 1980s...."
    My comments were not directed at you or any other teacher following orders. I can understand you are tired of repeating yourself. But taxpayers are tired too of the waste, fraud and incompetence by the "leaders" at DPS that told you what to do.

Sounds like your parents and grandfather sensed the waste was wrong 40 years ago and they did their part ot combat it. Too bad the leadership has not corrected this by now. Forty years is a long time and a lot of wasted money.

Kwame was buying some votes and giving out some handouts at the same time.

Once again, teachers and administrators at the old Cass Tech were TOLD to leave behind everything. The district would be moving things to other buildings. IF we moved our old things into the new Cass Tech, there would be ZERO room for it, since we were all going from having our own rooms to one desk and one cabinet.
    Speaking of, I always wondered why they built the new school so small that teachers were forced to share classrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    This irritates me more than anything. Yes, I understand it has sat vacant for a few years and is in declining shape, but why the urgency to tear this beauty down? Why are we spending so much on demolition of these schools? This building is not the biggest threat to safety; there are thousands of homes throughout Detroit that are worse.

What’s the motivation? It always seems Detroit is quick to tear these gems down with no plan. Why not mothball it better and hope for something in the future [[loft development if the market turns around).
    Urgency??? Quick to tear gems down?? Seriously??? This place is a wreck. Haven't you seen the inside. It's been what, 6 years wince it's been used? Why keep it up? It would cost more to renovate it than to tear it down and build something new.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Urgency??? Quick to tear gems down?? Seriously??? This place is a wreck. Haven't you seen the inside. It's been what, 10 years wince it's been used? Why keep it up? It would cost more to renovate it than to tear it down and build something new.
    No, it hasn't been 10 years. The last group of students to use the building graduated in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    No, it hasn't been 10 years. The last group of students to use the building graduated in 2008.
    You make it sound like the school closed in 2008. The old Cass Tech closed in 2005, so the building hasn't been used in nearly 6 years. Those 2008 grads spent their last three years in the new building. Or maybe you knew that.

English,

I am a journalist. How can I contact you? An email perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiko View Post
    English,

I am a journalist. How can I contact you? An email perhaps?
    Send him/her a pm thru the forum.

My comments were not directed at you or any other teacher following orders. I can understand you are tired of repeating yourself. But taxpayers are tired too of the waste, fraud and incompetence by the "leaders" at DPS that told you what to do.

Sounds like your parents and grandfather sensed the waste was wrong 40 years ago and they did their part ot combat it. Too bad the leadership has not corrected this by now. Forty years is a long time and a lot of wasted money.
    Very sorry, Packman41, that I was snappish. I attended a funeral yesterday for someone who was pretty young, so I was in a terrible mood. My comments weren't directed toward you personally, but to the idea that my Cass Tech teacher colleagues were irresponsible in the way that the building was left. When I sat through those staff meetings with the contractors and the district, I didn't believe a thing they said because of what my folks went through at Roosevelt. My early childhood consisted of my granddad putting all kinds of books into my hands, with the warning NOT to take it out of the house. He felt terrible about it, because I think in all his life, books were the only things he ever "stole." My granddad was perhaps the most honest man I've ever known. He was from a different generation and time, and the deterioration of his city broke his heart.

I don't think Cass Tech teachers or the building admins are to blame. First, since we all had our own rooms in the old building, we had room and liberty to purchase and acquire all kinds of stuff related to our discipline. We deliberately kept perfectly good textbooks that we found effective, even after new text adoptions. Some of our veteran colleagues had file cabinets filled with lesson plans, worksheets, music books, ledgers, etc.

All the talk was this -- we could NOT fit everything we had in the old building into the new, and we were NOT to "clutter" up that new building. The veterans were told that all their old files could be scanned by the district. We had this shiny new school sitting next to us, so of course we believed there was still bond money to hire moving companies. Since Burnley was leaving, there was even talk about the central offices moving from that expensive lease in the New Center into a slightly renovated old Cass Tech building.

One more thing: When I first came to Cass Tech, there was chatter about where we'd hold classes while they worked on the old building. Some of my coworkers speculated that Cass would be moved temporarily into the state fairgrounds, that there would be portables, etc. It wasn't until later that we realized they would build the new school right next to the old.

@Zaiko, I'd be happy to chat with you if you send me a PM. I can also put you in touch with others.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Send him/her a pm thru the forum.
    I'm a her.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Speaking of, I always wondered why they built the new school so small that teachers were forced to share classrooms?
    It's because teachers in Michigan public high schools on regular schedules are only teaching 4-6 periods out of a 7-10 period day. If each teacher has his or her own classroom, then it is empty for a significant percentage of the school day. That classroom is still using electricity and/or gas. Therefore, the old Cass Tech was viewed as a waste of space... but it was nice to have your own classroom space to tend. My former high school teacher, also my student teaching supervisor, instilled that virtue into me -- you could make your classroom into an oasis. So like many of us, I had my own cleaning supplies, and there were always helpers to wipe the board and clean desks. [[A former student who got into the building this fall snapped a picture and noted about my last CT classroom: 'her board is still clean!") Some loved that building, rusty pipes, half-hidden hallways, unused floors, and all.

I taught in a suburban high school the year after the old CT closed, and the scale was much smaller. Walking to the office, the library, and then up to the bookstore during your prep period was awesome exercise in the old Cass Tech. And the students had to hustle to get to classes on time in that building. We didn't let them use the elevator without a pass, but then again, most of us didn't always use the elevators, either. That physical plant built character -- the last few classes can truly say that they attended school in one of the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit. And boy, was it ever fabulous.
    Last edited by English; December-04-10 at 12:33 PM.

I honor your grandfather's rare move to act like an outlaw, English.

When evil, destructive, and divisive edicts are forced upon good people, they must act on their conscience. You are PROOF that his actions were right and good.

We need more like him in our world, and I'm very glad he not only reproduced...but took the time to insure his ethical and moral legacy through you.

Sincerely,
    John

Time and time again I see another DPS building end up like Cass Tech. I work for a suburban school district as a custodian. One of the schools I worked at for the last 7 years closed after the last school year. I am glad that my school was not abandoned like so many schools have been in the DPS.
    This is a slap in the face to the students, teachers, support staff, and the taxpayers of the DPS and the region.It does not help your case when the schools plead for money when there are cases like this where waste is so evident.No wonder parents send their children to charter schools.

Quote Originally Posted by ctfame80 View Post
    You make it sound like the school closed in 2008. The old Cass Tech closed in 2005, so the building hasn't been used in nearly 6 years. Those 2008 grads spent their last three years in the new building. Or maybe you knew that.
    No... I make it sound like the building hasn't been closed for 10 years as the person I replied to stated.

Gannon, you've made me cry. December is difficult for us these days because we've lost all the patriarchs of our family -- and believe me, we feel that void.

My grandfather was Cass Tech, Class of 1933. He had a world-class education at a time when most black men across the country struggled to finish grammar school. He'd left Ford and was hired by the district to supervise the boilers at Roosevelt. Knowing him, I guess the idea of incinerating or otherwise wasting books was abhorrent to him, but while Roosevelt stood, it was this huge family secret.

BTW, I've said this on DYes before, but my parents met at the Roosevelt warehouse, simply called "the warehouse" when I was small. I have faint memories of being carried around that place as a toddler, and we had quite a few family friends who worked there, although we're only in touch with one who is quite elderly now. That is another story that really needs to be told. I am part and parcel of DPS, and the Detroit of today, but there is so much of what we've become that I don't understand.
    Last edited by English; December-04-10 at 01:11 PM.

English,

Go look into the mirror. You will see an echo of your patriarchs and matriarchs, perhaps even amplified through those tears. You haven't completely lost ANYTHING, as you continue their legacy.

May you find comfort and deep peace in these times.

Truly,
    John

Thanks so much. I'd give you a big hug if I could. Have a great holiday season... we'll all mourn together on the day next year when the old Cass Tech is no longer part of our skyline.

I just dont understand why this building was not kept and another one built to supplement further needs. The wikipedia article mentions a sizable reno in the eighties and what prevented a further addition or passageways to another building? I mean developers rehab industrial buildings in worse shape than that for mixed use every day. School buildings dont suffer the same indignities that industrial bldgs do due to vibration in heavy machinery. Somebodies somewhere are raking it in again...

It's because teachers in Michigan public high schools on regular schedules are only teaching 4-6 periods out of a 7-10 period day. If each teacher has his or her own classroom, then it is empty for a significant percentage of the school day. That classroom is still using electricity and/or gas. Therefore, the old Cass Tech was viewed as a waste of space... but it was nice to have your own classroom space to tend. My former high school teacher, also my student teaching supervisor, instilled that virtue into me -- you could make your classroom into an oasis. So like many of us, I had my own cleaning supplies, and there were always helpers to wipe the board and clean desks. [[A former student who got into the building this fall snapped a picture and noted about my last CT classroom: 'her board is still clean!") Some loved that building, rusty pipes, half-hidden hallways, unused floors, and all.

I taught in a suburban high school the year after the old CT closed, and the scale was much smaller. Walking to the office, the library, and then up to the bookstore during your prep period was awesome exercise in the old Cass Tech. And the students had to hustle to get to classes on time in that building. We didn't let them use the elevator without a pass, but then again, most of us didn't always use the elevators, either. That physical plant built character -- the last few classes can truly say that they attended school in one of the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit. And boy, was it ever fabulous.
    Yeah, going from the first to the 6th floor between periods was always fun. I used to have 3 different lockers strategically located so I wouldn't have to lug all those books around. The elevators seldom worked when I went there, and I don't think I would have chanced it anyway as often as they broke down.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I just dont understand why this building was not kept and another one built to supplement further needs. The wikipedia article mentions a sizable reno in the eighties and what prevented a further addition or passageways to another building? I mean developers rehab industrial buildings in worse shape than that for mixed use every day. School buildings dont suffer the same indignities that industrial bldgs do due to vibration in heavy machinery. Somebodies somewhere are raking it in again...
    They added the annex when I was attending there. It included tiered classrooms, music area, cafeteria, gym, pool,etc. From my experience, the classrooms were barely used [[for teaching, no but you can imagine)for the first few years after they were built, most of the students were rather confused by it. Each level's interior was painted an individual garish color throughout. I used to know each level by heart, but can't remember now. Think the brightest orange, yellow, green, purple [[yes, purple), etc.

I am very surprised that there wasn't enough room with the old school and the annex to do the job. Some levels could have been mothballed, while maintaining activity in the building to prevent its current state. But what do I know..?

Drove by there twice today. Sad indeed. Hopefully they keep the cornerstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    They added the annex when I was attending there. It included tiered classrooms, music area, cafeteria, gym, pool,etc. From my experience, the classrooms were barely used [[for teaching, no but you can imagine)for the first few years after they were built, most of the students were rather confused by it. Each level's interior was painted an individual garish color throughout. I used to know each level by heart, but can't remember now. Think the brightest orange, yellow, green, purple [[yes, purple), etc.

I am very surprised that there wasn't enough room with the old school and the annex to do the job. Some levels could have been mothballed, while maintaining activity in the building to prevent its current state. But what do I know..?

Drove by there twice today. Sad indeed. Hopefully they keep the cornerstone.
    The foundation on the addition actually settled and began pulling away from the original building. there are splits in the walls on the upper floors.

While looking through the Freep pix,there are a few things in that shop I could use.What a shame.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast