Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Neighborhoods / Real Estate

Hello everyone, I have read this forum for years, but finally registered. I'm tiring of renting and want to buy some property in the city. My price range is anywhere from 1,000-100,000 USD with something in the middle of that range likely. If I buy something for 100,000 USD I'm hoping it is in fairly good condition at purchase, whereas at 1,000 USD I understand I'm buying something to fix up of course.

I want to hear all of your insight about neighborhoods. Which neighborhoods are safer than people generally realize? and which more dangerous? Where do you think property is overpriced? Where do you think deals can be had?

What do you think of your neighborhood? What do y'all think makes for a good investment in the D? and what makes a bad investment? Why have people failed with real estate in Detroit? And why have they succeeded?

General real estate advice for the city is appreciated. I noticed in another thread someone cautioned against quick claim deeds. More information about these is appreciated.

I'm looking for a property that I'd enjoy living in for sometime. I'm considering making a duplex situation wherein I could rent one floor of a two story house, and live in the second floor. Eventually the house could be become a full out investment property. I'm looking for something at least 1200+ Sq Ft.

I like Corktown, North Corktown, Downtown, Midtown, Woodbridge, Art Center areas, but I want to hear insights into other neighborhoods as well as those. Thanks.
    Last edited by hogz; November-30-10 at 10:31 PM.