Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Good points. I was too young to follow this when it was happening, but I wonder why we chose to close down many of the residential mental health care facilities during the Engler administration? What were the arguments for doing so back then? I feel that some of Detroit's crime numbers, along with the numbers of people roaming the streets with nowhere to go, are directly correlated to the lack of access to long-term mental care.

Given what we are dealing with now, I can't see how the money that we've saved as taxpayers has been worth the cost we've paid as a society.
    The idea, and it was a progressive idea for what it's worth, was to deinstitutionalize the mentally ill.

The vast majority of deinstitutionalization in Michigan actually occured before Engler's first term as Governor, but the Lafayette Clinic closure and a few others became a fierce partisan battleground issue and most people today believe that Engler started the process, when his roll was actually to complete an almost completed public policy.

Ironically, Lafayette Clinic, now a charter school, is located one block away from where this happenned.

We had a beautiful memorial at the Beaubien Street Saloon tonight for Kevin.

It was truly an amazing collection of very passionate individuals...this guy really knew how to get good people together and help them achieve their best.

I met a few folk who've known Kevin most of his life, and completely treasure him even more through their stories, while sharing the grief that we'll never be able to share space and time with his remarkable self ever again.

He was special to me because of how he would go out of his way every time he'd come into the bar...when he knew I was having trouble dealing with my mother's decline in health leading up to her death over five years ago. He would never let me stew in my misery alone. I can still hear his comfortable and encouraging greeting.

Turns out EVERYONE had a similar story. Most had many, many more.

Kevin was one remarkable man. Detroit lost one of its best last weekend.

It really is an insane universe...and drier and slightly less colorful without Kevin Johnson wandering through it now.

May the Maker rest his soul...and give his widow every possible thing she needs to survive this extraordinarily difficult time. May we all get what we need to suffer this loss.

johnny1954 Guest

Back in the day all of western wayne county was some sort of asylum, jail, prison, work camp or hospital. When all of those facilities closed, new "patients" were simply forced to roam the streets trying to survive.

You're right. No she did not. Let's you know the dem/ republican distinction is quite distinct in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Granholm didn't reopen the facilities when she had first took office.I was hoping that she would. No political leaders care about the mentally ill or their well being. There are no former patients roaming the streets of Lansing

No political leaders care about the mentally ill or their well being. There are no former patients roaming the streets of Lansing
    Mmmmm, I would imagine Detroit could round up a few extra school busses, load 'em up and head 'em out I-96.

funeral is 9:30 tuesday december 7 at Word of Faith ... formerly known as Duns Scotus ... 9 mile and Evergreen in Southfield. family will meet with friends at 9 a.m.

The state had closed some of the correctional facilities this past year. My girlfriend thinks that some of those ex-cons and mental patients are living in her apartment complex. The ex-cons are staying with relatives who lives in the complex. The shooter of Kevin Johnson was staying with his own father was he not?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3