Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Who owns Eastland currently? Is it a Taubman mall?

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    Taubman - no. Eastland's website says Jones Lang LaSalle is the current manager. Who actually owns it, I don't know.

I was shopping at Macy's on Friday before noon and was surprised by the number of white shoppers in Macy's. Usually, I'm about the only one there.

I never go into the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post

Eastland Mall was designed by Victor Guren and Associates in 1957. It's now owned by Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp. [[ As in the the name taken by Ashkenazi Jews.)

Father of my two best friends in HS days, and also my scoutmaster when I was a kid was robbed and mugged twice in his backyard 3 blocks east of Kelly, a few blocks in from Moross last year.

First time they took his wallet and keys. A few days later they came back and tried to use the keys to get in the house. That failed because they'd changed the locks. But they did help themselves to their car sitting in the driveway.

I was flabbergasted, I didn't know things had deteriorated that much in HW.

I remember a shopping mall in Houston or somewhere that was having the same problem a few years back. They actually started piping in, I think it was Barry Manilow music throughout the mall. All the thugs actually left. Quit hanging out there. Just couldn't handle the music. True story.

I'm not sure I could handle it either though.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I remember a shopping mall in Houston or somewhere that was having the same problem a few years back. They actually started piping in, I think it was Barry Manilow music throughout the mall. All the thugs actually left. Quit hanging out there. Just couldn't handle the music. True story.

A lot of 7-11s and other convenience stores used to pipe loud classical music into their parking lots. It was very effective in deterring the loiterers and the thugs using the pay phones for their drug deals. The usual suspects claimed it was a "cultural assault" specifically directed at blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A lot of 7-11s and other convenience stores used to pipe loud classical music into their parking lots. It was very effective in deterring the loiterers and the thugs using the pay phones for their drug deals. The usual suspects claimed it was a "cultural assault" specifically directed at blacks.
    Yes, and the usual suspects keep pretending that burning crosses and lynching black folks were malevolent acts. I cant imagine someone so cruel as to impose Mozart on a loose panted thug.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Father of my two best friends in HS days, and also my scoutmaster when I was a kid was robbed and mugged twice in his backyard 3 blocks east of Kelly, a few blocks in from Moross last year.

First time they took his wallet and keys. A few days later they came back and tried to use the keys to get in the house. That failed because they'd changed the locks. But they did help themselves to their car sitting in the driveway.

I was flabbergasted, I didn't know things had deteriorated that much in HW.
    Yeah, the Detroit neighborhood that boarders HW has really gone down the tubes.
    Drive down Kelly road and see the run-down houses and goddamn bars on the doors and window of many homes that only about 15 years ago or so were pristine and it'll really shock you.

DC48080 Guest

Eastland Mall has been a hellhole for quite some time now. The last time I went there, roughly two years ago, I got panhandled by two different beggars on my way into the Sears store.

My wife and I will not go there anymore for anything and we have forbidden our children to go there as well.

Macomb Mall isn't much better. The only decent mall anymore is the one on Big Beaver in Troy.

Harper Woods began deteriorating 15 years ago and it happened right about the time they stopped requiring city workers to live in the city. My cousin lived on Dutchess on the Eastside and my grandparents lived on Woodside in Harper Woods between Kelly and Beaconsfield. We rode our bikes all over the place, to Dawn Donuts, down Cadiuex all over. Now that whole area has just gone to hell. We had to move my grandparents out 12 years ago. I was just at Eastland on Wednesday, the wife loves the Victoria's Secret there because they have everything the other stores don't.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    Harper Woods began deteriorating 15 years ago and it happened right about the time they stopped requiring city workers to live in the city. My cousin lived on Dutchess on the Eastside and my grandparents lived on Woodside in Harper Woods between Kelly and Beaconsfield. We rode our bikes all over the place, to Dawn Donuts, down Cadiuex all over. Now that whole area has just gone to hell. We had to move my grandparents out 12 years ago. I was just at Eastland on Wednesday, the wife loves the Victoria's Secret there because they have everything the other stores don't.
    City workers in HW or in Detroit....and if Detroit, what does that have to do with the deterioration?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I've never been a believer of passing the buck to someone else. Responsibility for the actions of these "people" begin right in the parents laps; not mine, not the teachers, not the schools...not the church!
    Take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming others....and, yes, I will continue to move away from those people because I live like a human being and that's more than I can say for those "people".
    Hey, I am a responsible citizen... and human too. I do understand your disgust and frustration. I just don't like writing off human iniquities as the actions of animals. We have done that for 40+ years and the problem has grown worse. Either we figure out how to deal with the growing underclass in our society, or our grandchildren will suffer the consequences.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I do understand your lunchbox full of frustration.
    Fixed that for you.

I don't know what it has to do with the deterioration, but it happened around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    City workers in HW or in Detroit....and if Detroit, what does that have to do with the deterioration?
    I can read into that. That far eastside of Detroit was riddled with Detroit city workers....helped keep the neighborhoods up on the edge of the circle.

Once they left and the fringe Detroit areas changed, it also emanated outword into HW.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Look at the security they hire, lame, they drive around the parking lot in circles. Security in the mall sucks if any. Almost no one from St Clair Shores or Grosse Pointe shops there anymore.
    Mall security is supposed to stop gang wars? Do mall security officers wear sidearms over there?? I can't remember. Next to chasing /detering shoplifters....first aid and driving in circles should be their only jobs. Maybe I live in a different world....maybe even a different dimension altogether.

A mile of fast moving water and a little bit of gun control, just a bit, can go a long ways for a city.............. I guess.

Umm, let's not go off to deep ends here... Lynchings etc. were and are malevolent acts withstanding that a 'thug' or criminal cites these acts as some form of justification.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yes, and the usual suspects keep pretending that burning crosses and lynching black folks were malevolent acts. I cant imagine someone so cruel as to impose Mozart on a loose panted thug.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-10 at 01:35 PM.

Yep, the 'flight' and errosion of blue-collar and middle class citizens has had a severe impact, across the city and especially on parts of the lower east side. No doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I can read into that. That far eastside of Detroit was riddled with Detroit city workers....helped keep the neighborhoods up on the edge of the circle.

Once they left and the fringe Detroit areas changed, it also emanated outword into HW.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-10 at 06:24 AM.

Primarily I am a west side and midtown Detroiter, but I am now in that area frequently and those from the lower east side and surrounding areas tell me the deterioration has been incredible. I venture little from my work site, but I can see the changes just from my short time being in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Yeah, the Detroit neighborhood that boarders HW has really gone down the tubes.
    Drive down Kelly road and see the run-down houses and goddamn bars on the doors and window of many homes that only about 15 years ago or so were pristine and it'll really shock you.
    I went down Kelly Rd from Moross to 8 Mile Rd. 15 years ago and its flowing with mom and pop business on the Harper Woods side [[also its Downtown Harper Woods). Today its flowing with upside down folks running the show. Over the past 10 years, Harper Woods neighborhoods are filled up fast with an influx of African Americans. The population was 10 percent in 2000 now its up to 20 percent. African Americans who moved over there are mostly middle class from Detroit. In later years when the middle class blacks move on the low-income blacks will follow and take over Harper Woods neighborhoods. By that time white folks are already move on. The rest of the neighborhood will go down hill from there. I have seen it happen in most Detroit ghettohoods including Highland Park.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Just follow the ethnic folks, they have the money and the know how.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I went down Kelly Rd from Moross to 8 Mile Rd. 15 years ago and its flowing with mom and pop business on the Harper Woods side [[also its Downtown Harper Woods). Today its flowing with upside down folks running the show. Over the past 10 years, Harper Woods neighborhoods are filled up fast with an influx of African Americans. The population was 10 percent in 2000 now its up to 20 percent. African Americans who moved over there are mostly middle class from Detroit. In later years when the middle class blacks move on the low-income blacks will follow and take over Harper Woods neighborhoods. By that time white folks are already move on. The rest of the neighborhood will go down hill from there. I have seen it happen in most Detroit ghettohoods including Highland Park.
    There is a "tipping point" somewhere between 10% and 20% of any one significant minority group. Once the neighborhood passes that tipping point, it will rapidly become a "ghetto" for that minority..

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

Oh Mandy!

EastSider Guest

Eastland has had issues with violence since shortly after the addition of the food court/theater where Burlington Coat Factory is today.

The mall originally had a two-screen theater building roughly where the Lowe's outdoor garden center is today. In the mid-80's, the mall increased the number of screens and moved them into the new addition. For a while, they were still showing two movies in the out-building, and 5 more screens inside the mall. The theaters were closed in about 2000 due to the rising violence.

definitely a sad situation, hope the injured parties get better.. I wonder if Eastland ends up having metal detectors, will some folks end up 'protesting' because of 'racism'?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast