Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Those hallways have the craziest "scrotum" texture youve ever seen in your life ! That fountain is also pretty badass. The plaster ceilings though - what a trip.

Can't speak for others, but I've not been laughing it up... I live in this area and have live in Detroit all of my life. It's hardly funny. I replied to your earlier comments without comedy. I've asked questions that have remained unanswered... In any event the building was sold for $55K or so. I still live in the area and I will continue to observe and engage as I do as to what's going on. Including that built-from-the ground pharmacy complex at the corner of Woodward and Clairmount which has yet to open....
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    A bunch of jackles and hienias up in here, jokes and comedians, :::Sounds of Cricketts Chirping:::. Obviously this is a inner city. Just being in a denser area means more human interaction, which we can all agree varies from person to person. You guys are acting like this is Beirut or Detroit. Lighten up a bit!

I just had to come out of self-imposed exile briefly to say that I agree with everything that Zacha341 has said about Clairmount and the area around it. It is not for the faint of heart. I have lived in the city all of my life and have driven passed Woodward and Clairmount thousands of times. It's not and area I would comfortably hang around, especially at dusk. When you have lived in a place for almost five decades, you know what areas of the city are safe and the ones to avoid. I would never voluntarity move into that area. Like Zacha341 said, any neighborhood north of Euclid just isn't worth the investment or one's safety.

Looking at Clairmount from a different view, I have always wondered how anyone who owns a car and lives on Clairmount or has relatives who visit by car manipulate parking since there is absolutely no parking on either side of the street from Woodward to Linwood [[Note: newer built homes north of Rosa Parks do have driveways). It would seem to me that that would also be a deterent to wanting to move on Clairmount specifically. Alleys in the city, in most places, aren't maintained well and if you google streetview you'll see that most residents now park on the many vacant lots that now dot Clairmount. If you're someone who doesn't own a car and live in an apartment, I guess it wouldn't be a problem. However, where would your guests park?

Finally, Zacha341, the office complex at the corner of Clairmount and Woodward was developed by Reverend Jim Holly of Little Rock Baptist Church fame. The church bought up Considine Rec Center, thus the name change to Little Rock/Considine Center.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    That area certainty doesn't seem to be as bad as you guys are dramatizing it out to be. Come on... I walk those streets everyday, you're full of nonsense! I have walked through there in a suit and tie, have left my own car running in someone's driveway, and have took my wife and daughter through a nearby street recently to look at a house for sale.

I swear, one would think we lived in New Jack City, according to some of your responses on here.
    You walk those streets everyday? Hmmm...

Nice to hear from you Royce! Yes, indeed that area is problematic. And you get what I meant when I said Euclid has been considered the 'Berlin Wall' for any Midtown or other southern WSU or otherwise inspired investments.

Have you noticed that huge multi-unit property on the n.east corner of Clairmount and the Lodge? It was called the 'pink house' for decades [[it's exterior is painted a pale pink). It's now completely overgrown and gutted. You can see they tried to stave off the frequent break-ins with two-by-fours, bars and wire for all long as possible. It's a gutted ruin now.

My dad sold insurance door-to-door in this area all thru Boston Edison etc. in the 70's and and he used to take me walking with him when I was a little girl. It was really nice. To see what is has become now is quite disturbing. Regarding parking: yes, it is a problem too. Though many of the duplex homes have driveways, but still parking has always been an issue even in the best of times. At night time for sure this is not an area you want to be found on foot walking from or getting into your car. I never go to King Cole market after dark.

Thank you for clarifying the ownership of that un-opened complex as being from Reverend Jim Holly. I knew about his involvement with Considine but not this complex. Withstanding what you may think of him/ his church or the politics therein he and others made significant investments in that area especially in the late 90's as I referenced earlier. What has happened with the pharmacy complex? Did they run out of funding?

As I stated those huge plate glass windows were a security no-no for that area! The main one was broken in August but has since been repaired. There's a light on at night, and it seems intact but un-opened for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I just had to come out of self-imposed exile briefly to say that I agree with everything that Zacha341 has said about Clairmount and the area around it. It is not for the faint of heart. I have lived in the city all of my life and have driven passed Woodward and Clairmount thousands of times. It's not and area I would comfortably hang around, especially at dusk. When you have lived in a place for almost five decades, you know what areas of the city are safe and the ones to avoid. I would never voluntarity move into that area. Like Zacha341 said, any neighborhood north of Euclid just isn't worth the investment or one's safety.

Looking at Clairmount from a different view, I have always wondered how anyone who owns a car and lives on Clairmount or has relatives who visit by car manipulate parking since there is absolutely no parking on either side of the street from Woodward to Linwood [[Note: newer built homes north of Rosa Parks do have driveways). It would seem to me that that would also be a deterent to wanting to move on Clairmount specifically. Alleys in the city, in most places, aren't maintained well and if you google streetview you'll see that most residents now park on the many vacant lots that now dot Clairmount. If you're someone who doesn't own a car and live in an apartment, I guess it wouldn't be a problem. However, where would your guests park?

Finally, Zacha341, the office complex at the corner of Clairmount and Woodward was developed by Reverend Jim Holly of Little Rock Baptist Church fame. The church bought up Considine Rec Center, thus the name change to Little Rock/Considine Center.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-10 at 08:00 AM.

Nice to hear from you Royce! You get what I meant when I referenced Euclid street as being the 'Berlin Wall' for any Midtown or south WSU or other so inspired investment.

Yes, indeed that area is problematic. Have you noticed that multi-unit property on the n.east corner of Clairmount and the Lodge? It was called the 'pink house' for decades [[it's exterior painted a pale pink). It's now completely overgrown and gutted! You can see they tried to stave off the break-ins with two-by-fours, bars and wire for all long as possible. Now it's a gutted ruin!

My dad sold insurance door-to-door in this area all thru Boston Edison etc. in the 60's-70's and he used to take me walking with him when I was a little girl. To see what is has become is quite disturbing. Regarding parking: yes, it is a problem too. Though many of the duplex homes have driveways, but still parking has always been an issue even in the best of times. At night time for sure this is not an area you want to be found on foot walking to or from your car.

Thank you for clarifying the ownership of that new yet un-opened pharmacy complex as being Reverend Jim Holly's. I knew about his involvement with Considine but not this complex. Withstanding what you may think of him, his church or the politics therein, he and others made significant investments in that area especially in the 90's [[empowerment zone funding) as I referenced earlier. What happened with the complex? Did they run out of funding?
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post

Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-10 at 11:05 AM.

Hah! Like I said I would not leave my car running in any driveway! Not my own or 'anywhere' in the city or 'ANY' suburb. I love the option of driving too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    You walk those streets everyday? Hmmm...

'"scrotum" texture' stucco! Now that IS funny! ------
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Those hallways have the craziest "scrotum" texture youve ever seen in your life ! That fountain is also pretty badass. The plaster ceilings though - what a trip.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-10 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Nice to hear from you Royce! Yes, indeed that area is problematic. And you get what I meant when I said Euclid has been considered the 'Berlin Wall' for any Midtown or other southern WSU or otherwise inspired investments.

Have you noticed that huge multi-unit property on the n.east corner of Clairmount and the Lodge? It was called the 'pink house' for decades [[it's exterior is painted a pale pink). It's now completely overgrown and gutted. You can see they tried to stave off the frequent break-ins with two-by-fours, bars and wire for all long as possible. It's a gutted ruin now.

My dad sold insurance door-to-door in this area all thru Boston Edison etc. in the 70's and and he used to take me walking with him when I was a little girl. It was really nice. To see what is has become now is quite disturbing. Regarding parking: yes, it is a problem too. Though many of the duplex homes have driveways, but still parking has always been an issue even in the best of times. At night time for sure this is not an area you want to be found on foot walking from or getting into your car. I never go to King Cole market after dark.

Thank you for clarifying the ownership of that un-opened complex as being from Reverend Jim Holly. I knew about his involvement with Considine but not this complex. Withstanding what you may think of him/ his church or the politics therein he and others made significant investments in that area especially in the late 90's as I referenced earlier. What has happened with the pharmacy complex? Did they run out of funding?

As I stated those huge plate glass windows were a security no-no for that area! The main one was broken in August but has since been repaired. There's a light on at night, and it seems intact but un-opened for business.
    That building on the Lodge Service Drive at Clairmont was a rooming house / rent by hour hotel. It was viable for decades that I know of. I believe early in this year or late last year whoever was running it closed it down. It was stripped and trashed in a few weeks after that, in spite of attempts to keep scrappers away.

It was indeed a "no-tel motel" for decades, at least since the mid 70's. All it's visitors entered through the rear parking lot which was hidden behind an outstandingly well done high brick wall [[see Google Maps photo). During the 70's and 80's [[at least) the operation was so low key that it garnered little, if any, neighborhood opposition. It was reputedly owned by relatives of Coleman Young, At least that's what those of us who lived nearby believed.

Thanks for the info Neilr! It is a huge building. I always thought the walled off parking in back was strange....
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    It was indeed a "no-tel motel" for decades, at least since the mid 70's. All it's visitors entered through the rear parking lot which was hidden behind an outstandingly well done high brick wall [[see Google Maps photo). During the 70's and 80's [[at least) the operation was so low key that it garnered little, if any, neighborhood opposition. It was reputedly owned by relatives of Coleman Young, At least that's what those of us who lived nearby believed.

Yikes! Rent by the hour... ewww. Well now it's a 'RUIN 24 hours!'... too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That building on the Lodge Service Drive at Clairmont was a rooming house / rent by hour hotel. It was viable for decades that I know of. I believe early in this year or late last year whoever was running it closed it down. It was stripped and trashed in a few weeks after that, in spite of attempts to keep scrappers away.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-09-10 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    The units are individually metered -- the owner has all that detail on that page.
    About half of the recent modifications have been stripped out again, including breaker boxes in each unit, all the bathtubs, and many of the new electrical fixtures.

The seller shoulda invested in a front door to start with. And a back door.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The interior looks relatively intact for a vacant building! Also appears that the previous owner invested quite a bit into the roof and the plumbing.
    Plumbing is toast.

Probably. The freeze/ thaw cycle of Detroit, combined with unmaintained plumbing, leaks and bursting pipes. Yeah, it's probably toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Plumbing is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Probably. The freeze/ thaw cycle of Detroit, combined with unmaintained plumbing, leaks and bursting pipes. Yeah, it's probably toast.
    No - not probably - absolutely torn out of the walls by humans. There are a few plastic water hoses in some of the walls, but all bathroom fixtures are destroyed or removed, wall are busted open, circuit breaker boxes torn down, light fixtures pulled out.

It is re-fucked up.

I'm amazed that building sold for that amount, I just can't understand it. I do not see what value there is at that locaation. Perhaps I lack vision, but, to me it screamed complete liability.

someone out of state,,,, out of country.... someone with too much hope. IN 10-20 years , someone to be envied........ who can really tell. sometimes the worst choice ends up the best one. as the tri level in troy looses value, the mansion in bloomfield goes into foreclosure, as the suburban mall and office building sit idle, incomplete , unused, ridiculed, while those who invested in say the fox, sit pretty even tho meet with the same ridicule at that time of inmvestment, predicted defeat, outward contempt, hate, of daring to improve the big D........ tell me right now, which side is right, how often, and how successfully. tinkerbell, tinkle me some reason, a plan without fail or taunting.

Recall this apartment building was sold on Ebay last December? Well I drove by it recently and it is going down fast. Many windows are now out along the side and back. No work has been done or any evidence of work being started... The front door does seem to be secure however. Any thoughts?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3