Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What a sad shame about the neighborhood. In any other location this could be a lovely B&B. I love what looks like Pewabic tiles in the lobby? And the iron stair rail. Lots of cool architectural details. So much potential....if only for the location. :-[[

Indeed! Well the eBay bid is NOW at $12,443.11 with 53 bidders and counting... three days to go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETROIT-MICHIGAN...item4154b38178
    Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    What a sad shame about the neighborhood. In any other location this could be a lovely B&B. I love what looks like Pewabic tiles in the lobby? And the iron stair rail. Lots of cool architectural details. So much potential....if only for the location. :-[[

That building has the excellent quality of being in an strategic area that will definitely fill in as [[if?) the city revives and for that reason I'd like to see it preserved. But as of right now that location would be a tough one in which to run a building and get decent tenants. I would think it would be more plausible to mothball than to renovate now.

That building was a going concern up to a couple of Summers ago. There was a management group in Ferndale or Royal Oak running it. The building had some small fires and that was the beginning of the end. I went by there one day and the place had gone totally wild - windows and doors gone, people going in and out, no supervision what so ever. There was a peroid of a month or two where the place was getting stripped.

I just can't see that building ever coming back to life regardless of any changes in the economy or real estate market. It would seem to be a total liability - If the owner offered it to me for free I wouldn't take it.

This look like a joint where Chris and Snoop would be hiding the bodies at.

I wonder what the shippping would be on this item.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    I wonder what the shippping would be on this item.
    Ha, I am going to leave you some bad feedback, lol

DetroitDad Guest

Default Planting Flower Gardens Outside of Crack Houses Since 1988

That area certainty doesn't seem to be as bad as you guys are dramatizing it out to be. Come on... I walk those streets everyday, you're full of nonsense! I have walked through there in a suit and tie, have left my own car running in someone's driveway, and have took my wife and daughter through a nearby street recently to look at a house for sale.

I swear, one would think we lived in New Jack City, according to some of your responses on here.

Well, opinions vary and I actually live in that area [[on one of the better blocks closer to West Grand Blvd)... and would NOT leave my car running in any driveway urban or suburban or even my own driveway [[smile)...

Granted there's a great deal of preemptive and dramatic 'angst' about certain areas of Detroit from some who only view said areas from photos/ and news clips. However, my experiences, interactions and observations point to a high crime and desolation level [[which I reference in detail in an earlier post), that's factual.

As evidence for one by fact that this building [[one of many examples) is in the shape it is in! On eBay! And I am still not certain why that business complex [[built from the ground up) on the corner of Clairmount and Woodward stopped. Do you know anything of what happened?

The plate glass window that was broken has been replace... yet the pharmacy and tax place never opened. Did the investors fly the coup? Anyone know who was behind this thwarted development?
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    That area certainty doesn't seem to be as bad as you guys are dramatizing it out to be. Come on... I walk those streets everyday, you're full of nonsense! I have walked through there in a suit and tie, have left my own car running in someone's driveway, and have took my wife and daughter through a nearby street recently to look at a house for sale.

I swear, one would think we lived in New Jack City, according to some of your responses on here.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-01-10 at 01:18 AM.

Yes, it is the location. As I've stated, were it further south or even closer to West Grand Blvd. there'd be some hope but north of Euclid? Sadly that building has been branded a dope-fiend haven.
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That building was a going concern up to a couple of Summers ago. There was a management group in Ferndale or Royal Oak running it. The building had some small fires and that was the beginning of the end. I went by there one day and the place had gone totally wild - windows and doors gone, people going in and out, no supervision what so ever. There was a peroid of a month or two where the place was getting stripped.

I just can't see that building ever coming back to life regardless of any changes in the economy or real estate market. It would seem to be a total liability - If the owner offered it to me for free I wouldn't take it.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-01-10 at 08:45 PM.

Tenancy is the biggest issue. Apartment buildings that thrive have to be able to pull [[attract) and retain a certain tenant base. Not possible with that locale right now. There's no suitable parking either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That building has the excellent quality of being in an strategic area that will definitely fill in as [[if?) the city revives and for that reason I'd like to see it preserved. But as of right now that location would be a tough one in which to run a building and get decent tenants. I would think it would be more plausible to mothball than to renovate now.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-01-10 at 08:45 PM.

Augustiner Guest

I'm not sure what you expected to happen to you when you walked through a rough, impoverished, inner-city neighborhood like Woodward/Clairmount in a suit and tie, or what the fact that nothing in particular happened to you is supposed to prove about the neighborhood, but thanks for the non-story I guess?

lincoln8740 Guest

Speaking from the perspective of someone who works in that neighborhood everyday--I truly feel sorry for your wife and child

LOL! For the most part a decent pair of shoes will be ruined stepping over and thru the broken glass, busted pavement and mud alone on Clairmount. Ick.... Especially not recommended for summer sandal wearing. Not a street I'd relish walking down, though it was nice back in the late 60's and 70's.... When I go to the King Cole market on that corner I make my way fast and keep it movin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Speaking from the perspective of someone who works in that neighborhood everyday--I truly feel sorry for your wife and child

Well you have been lucky DetroitDad. It's only a matter of time before something happens to you or your loved ones. The fact is Detroit has many areas that could be considered lawless. With the slow police response the scum know they can get away with anything.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! For the most part a decent pair of shoes will be ruined stepping over and thru the broken glass, busted pavement and mud alone on Clairmount. Ick.... Especially not recommended for summer sandal wearing. Not a street I'd relish walking down, though it was nice back in the late 60's and 70's.... When I go to the King Cole market on that corner I make my way fast and keep it movin'.
    re: King Cole--if you ever have to buy or use money orders for anything do no get them at King Cole. There is something very shady going on there with regards to the money orders being cancelled by a person other than the one that purchased them.

just a little fyi

[QUOTE=Zacha341;201844]Green Baret indeed. Not for the squeamish or weak.

Some people I know tried to make a go of one of the apartments on Seward near Woodward [[the worst end of Seward)... They finally gave up as crime and lack of police response was too much. They could'nt get rid of the druggies, non-rent paying types and those who's personal mission was to destroy every attempt of rehab and maintenance. Much of their time was spent in court dealing with eviction cases, and bailiff drama.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes it is funny how the area between Woodward and 2nd peaked around 20 years ago [[GM pumping money in, 59 and the Wellington fixed up, then the rehabs across the street). Then 5 years ago that area imploded, with 59 and 69 abandoned, and before that, druggies and ruffians out in the street all the time, so much so that a friend who lived behind Herman Keifer was commenting what a bad neighborhood it was when she needed to get smokes at the party store on the corner.

Between 2nd and 3rd has only seen modest deterioration [[I used to live there), and as you noted, the Western area has been improving....

Arghh, more hustles for money transactions for those unfortunate not to have a checking account with a legit bank or credit union. Shannagins as describe don't surprise me at all -- it all [[and more) goes forth between the bullet proof er' 'customer service' area at the front of the store of which I frequent - not. I do not such transes with them. Mine are basic food purchases not often required from that store as I am not a captive audience to 'have' to shop there often, thankfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    re: King Cole--if you ever have to buy or use money orders for anything do no get them at King Cole. There is something very shady going on there with regards to the money orders being cancelled by a person other than the one that purchased them.

just a little fyi
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-01-10 at 08:59 PM.

Yeah, I'm hip. The devil is in the details as you describe - barely concealed. Seward was cut off near Woodward until just recently, now you can turn onto it off from Woodward south [[a no left turn persists going north). It is indeed a 'hot mess' off that corner at the Burger King et al and the addresses you mention are not occupied. And drug commerce and what all occurs boldly in broad daylight. The saner section of Seward starts at 3rd on over the bridge over the lodge where the homes and apartments are more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Yes it is funny how the area between Woodward and 2nd peaked around 20 years ago [[GM pumping money in, 59 and the Wellington fixed up, then the rehabs across the street). Then 5 years ago that area imploded, with 59 and 69 abandoned, and before that, druggies and ruffians out in the street all the time, so much so that a friend who lived behind Herman Keifer was commenting what a bad neighborhood it was when she needed to get smokes at the party store on the corner.

Between 2nd and 3rd has only seen modest deterioration [[I used to live there), and as you noted, the Western area has been improving....
    Green Baret indeed. Not for the squeamish or weak.

Some people I know tried to make a go of one of the apartments on Seward near Woodward [[the worst end of Seward)... They finally gave up as crime and lack of police response was too much. They could'nt get rid of the druggies, non-rent paying types and those who's personal mission was to destroy every attempt of rehab and maintenance. Much of their time was spent in court dealing with eviction cases, and bailiff drama.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-02-10 at 12:14 AM.

Bid down to the last 8 hours.... US $15,101.00 and counting...
    Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DETROIT-MICHIGAN...item4154b38178

Get bidding...... there are some interior pics. Cool lobby

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    JUst a few thoughts. Depending on the auction price, with a few modifications to the building I think It could be fantastic. Do some wall removals and make each unit bigger, say 2 units make one. Not only would the units be more desirable and spacious but you would cut into the cost by reducing the cost as youd only have to redo half the kitchens and having a new 2br units would add value and open it to being a possibility of home to a better renter. doing apts w 2 master suites would be fantastic. Im taking the top floor as my penthouse......... how bout a nice coffee shop in it too....while Im dreaming

If nothing else its a conversation starter and we can see what happens, if anything. If a building like this w a good roof and decent bones cant be saved, we might as well just bulldoze the city.
    Yup, move some walls, redo some kitchens, do this, do that. Spend a couple million making the place into the Taj Mahal for tenants who are going to move and and then never pay their rent.

DetroitDad Guest

A bunch of jackles and hienias up in here, jokes and comedians, :::Sounds of Cricketts Chirping:::. Obviously this is a inner city. Just being in a denser area means more human interaction, which we can all agree varies from person to person. You guys are acting like this is Beirut or Detroit. Lighten up a bit!

$35,100..... if the sale completes.

SOLD! Withstanding the variables of opinion re. the area, feasibility, level of crime, return on investment etc. Someone submitted as highest bidder at closing for $35,100.00...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...252BH220s%253D
    Bid down to the last 8 hours.... US $15,101.00 and counting...

SOLD! Withstanding the variables of opinion re. the area, feasibility, level of crime, return on investment etc. Someone submitted as highest bidder at closing for$35,100.00...
    Hey, man, find out who it is, maybe they want to hire somebody
    with experience [[yourself) to secure the place!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast