Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Okay, I've counted 23 if Dakota is counted. So, if there are 28 streets in Detroit named after states, then perhaps Colorado, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, California, and Connecticut are included in the 28? Does anyone else have a count?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Just out of curiosity: what exactly is a "river rat" house?
    There was once a line of houses lining the shore of the river that stretched east from Waterworks park out through what was then called Fairview to the Edison plant. These houses pretty much all had boat houses [[some were little more than boat houses with a bed and a kitchen) and were oriented towards the river. The folks who lived there and mostly made a marginal living from river-related businesses and water-borne activities were known as "river rats." Several of my family members amongst them.

The area was one of the centers of the running of liquor from Canada and other smuggling or illicit activity, was the home to several bars of ill-repute [[one of which eventually became Sindbad's), and had inadequate plumbing and sanitation, so the city was keen to evict folks and tear the structures down. Many of the people who had resided there scattered up the nearby canals or to other area streets in order to preserve their access to the river.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Okay, I've counted 23 if Dakota is counted. So, if there are 28 streets in Detroit named after states, then perhaps Colorado, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, California, and Connecticut are included in the 28? Does anyone else have a count?
    My count:

Included [[28): Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Excluded [[22): Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kansas, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Bearinabox Guest

Thanks for the response, Eastsideal. Fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

The area was one of the centers of the running of liquor from Canada and other smuggling or illicit activity, was the home to several bars of ill-repute [[one of which eventually became Sindbad's), and had inadequate plumbing and sanitation, so the city was keen to evict folks and tear the structures down. Many of the people who had resided there scattered up the nearby canals or to other area streets in order to preserve their access to the river.

Somewhat tied into this story I've been wanting to ask about this. In this link of Detroit area restaurants matchbooks covers I put together, on the 2nd page you will notice an Eddie Smith Marine Grill that has the same address as Sinbad's so I assumed it was the name prior to the Van Hollenbeke's taking over. Does anyone recall this place prior to Sinbad's and when that might have been?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keglerw...7614582259294/

Retroit Guest

Virginia Park [[Grand River to Woodward, north of W. Grand Blvd.)

Utah [[Gratiot & Harper)

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Somewhat tied into this story I've been wanting to ask about this. In this link of Detroit area restaurants matchbooks covers I put together, on the 2nd page you will notice an Eddie Smith Marine Grill that has the same address as Sinbad's so I assumed it was the name prior to the Van Hollenbeke's taking over. Does anyone recall this place prior to Sinbad's and when that might have been?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keglerw...7614582259294/
    Blanke and Van Hollebeke took over the bar and opened it as Sindbad's in 1949 [[now, in their 60th year, operated by members of the Blanke family). There are pictures on their website, unfortunately not very clear, that show the place when they bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Virginia Park [[Grand River to Woodward, north of W. Grand Blvd.)

Utah [[Gratiot & Harper)
    I see Virginia Park.

However, I can't find a Utah in Detroit--whether the main name or an alias. Is it possible the street has been renamed?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    I can't find a Utah in Detroit--whether the main name or an alias. Is it possible the street has been renamed?
    I'm looking right at it [[1993-1994 AAA map). Northeast of Gratiot and Harper [[an area formerly known as the town of Leeville, BTW). One block east of & parallel to Gratiot, one block north of Harper. It dog-legs and turns into Harding [[President Harding?)

This thread has been fun and a learning experience! What's next? Presidents? Cities [[Boston, Chicago)? Indian tribes [[Dakota, Seminole, Iroquois)? Generals [[Sheridan, Lee, Grant)? Poets [[Wadsworth, Goethe)?

I'm looking right at it [[1993-1994 AAA map). Northeast of Gratiot and Harper [[an area formerly known as the town of Leeville, BTW). One block east of & parallel to Gratiot, one block north of Harper. It dog-legs and turns into Harding [[President Harding?)

This thread has been fun and a learning experience! What's next? Presidents? Cities [[Boston, Chicago)? Indian tribes [[Dakota, Seminole, Iroquois)? Generals [[Sheridan, Lee, Grant)? Poets [[Wadsworth, Goethe)?
    Are you talking somewhere in here?
    Attachment 1082

Retroit Guest

Too far south, jcole.

Here's the AAA map: Attachment 1084

Compared to recent aerial: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

Not sure exactly where it was. Possibly a dead end street/alleyway off of Devine where that dirt pile is, or now part of a paved area.

Too far south, jcole.

Here's the AAA map: Attachment 1084

Compared to recent aerial: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

Not sure exactly where it was. Possibly a dead end street/alleyway off of Devine where that dirt pile is, or now part of a paved area.

You said it was a block north of Harper and a block east of Gratiot. That's exactly where the picture I posted is. That's Harper on the bottom, Harding to the far right, Gratiot on the left and Sterritt on the top.
    Last edited by jcole; May-08-09 at 01:10 PM.

Retroit Guest

True. Sorry! But Utah is also one block east of Gratiot and one [[okay, more than one) block north of Harper.

Guess I need to think about ALL possible interpretations.

It looks like what you're talking about would have been closer to Devine and French. It looks like there is some kind of cement company right about there now.

Retroit Guest

^ Yes. Or maybe just over the fence toward the west.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2