Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
What is a cylindrical gasifier?

Great painting by the way.
It's not a cylindrical gasifier, it's a gasifier that's cylindrical shape - actually, a storage tank.That's the tall, round tower in the background of the picture, what were once known as 'Gas Is Best' tanks. 'Gas Is Best' was written on them in extraordinarily large, white letters and might've even been lighted. The area, due to it's long industrial history, was the center of heavy manufacturing and all of it's related businesses, such as Carbon Works, which is now directly under I-75. Carbon Works was a blue collar, clean, orderly neighborhood when I was a kid. It's now mostly deserted, except for the Carbon Club. I attempted to buy a building on the Rouge River a few years back. I was excited because I could walk out on the roof right to the river's edge. Ships passed by, a couple dozen yards away, on their way up and down the Rouge. It had a great room, almost all glass, with an overhead crane. The basement was below water level, but dry as a bone. Unfortunately, the history was so chemically laden, that it was very hazardous. I put together the EP-1A and most of the EP-2A research and consulted with environmental firms and attorneys. They all pretty much agreed: it would take years and huge investments to possibly make it inhabitable. But they'd still not recommend it for living or entertainment. It had been a coal-gasification facility during early in the century.