Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Keep it real. It's not the Red Wings giving away a Honda, it's Honda giving away a Honda through the Red Wings. Are you foolish enough to think that Mike Illitch went out and bought a Honda to give away? What's more important to you, American Made or American Owned? Depending on your answer, you may need to prepare to dump a lot of products made by the Big 3.

+1

Honda paid to adevertise.... the other companies didn't... It's not Illitchs or the Red Wings job to promote auto companies for the sake of the city, they are businesses and if they want to adverstise, I'm sure the Red Wings would be more than happy to take their advertising dollars and give away one of their cars.....

If that isn't bad enough, the Wings now have a lot of Japanese players. I was listening on the radio the other night and I kept hearing," Heshuzi scores".

Well now that's a detail worth noting indeed... and for sure it can be argued they could not say no...... I'm surprised Toyota did not make a bid. Honda sell are a bit down...
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Keep it real. It's not the Red Wings giving away a Honda, it's Honda giving away a Honda through the Red Wings. Are you foolish enough to think that Mike Illitch went out and bought a Honda to give away? What's more important to you, American Made or American Owned? Depending on your answer, you may need to prepare to dump a lot of products made by the Big 3.

I personally know six guys who live in metro Detroit that design and/or build machine tools/parts for Honda or its direct suppliers. I bet they're happy that Honda is sourcing the tools and parts here in the US. I bet they don't mind the Honda giveaway.

Wow, this is some of the most petty shit I've seen on this forum yet.

I preach big 3 pride as much as anyone, but I am pretty sure that a Honda promotion by the Red Wings is not going to make or break our hometown companies [[especially in Michigan, where people are pretty set in their ways, anyway). In contrast, my current local team, the presently-lowly New Jersey Devils, have Ford and Lincoln as their premier sponsor. There are some fine Lincoln display cars in the concourses of the Prudential Center, but of course the most commonly seen cars in the NY metro are Honda sedans, by far. I really don't think that people are persuaded by the brand their local franchise takes money from, and this would certainly be even truer in Detroit.

Note that Illitch, whose team you propose to boycott, has given the hometown corporations free advertising at Comerica Park during their recent hour of doom.

p.s. Go Wings! I look forward to avidly supporting them and their Honda-subsidized franchise in purchasing tickets next month. Whatever it takes to keep winning...

Look at all of the ungrateful Detroiters. All that Illitch has done for the big three and because there will be a car given to someone FOR FREE that is a Honda, a huge sponsor of the NHL people flip. The Honda Civic is also built in Indiana if I'm not mistaken. Not only has he done a lot for the big three [[are we forgetting the free advertising in Comerica for a WHOLE YEAR?) but he has done a lot for Detroit. He enploys thousands of people around here as well and someone in the area will be getting a car for nothing! Get over yourselves.

Yada yada yada. It's the symbolism of it all, and to me it doesn't pass the sniff test and makes subtle inferences I don't think are good. Questioning the move has nothing to do with being ungrateful. Shall we all bend down on bended knee and blindly agree with Illitch's every move? I didn't even extend blind acceptance of all to my father.

Yes there are many foreign automakers with plants here, thats a good thing for workers in this country. But the $$$ are going straight back to Tokyo.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post

Yes there are many foreign automakers with plants here, thats a good thing for workers in this country. But the $$$ are going straight back to Tokyo.
    A lot of the money being paid to many Red Wing players is probably going back to Sweden and Russia. What's your point?

But I don't think people get it. Honda is a main sponsor of the NHL. I get that the money goes back to Tokyo. Does Illitch have a choice?

Point well stated...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    But I don't think people get it. Honda is a main sponsor of the NHL. I get that the money goes back to Tokyo. Does Illitch have a choice?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2