Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hear you. I am not a purist about buying foreign USED cars [[I have purchased many Japanese used cars in addition to domestic used ones), but an American car "new" car giveaway should have been maybe a Ford or GM product IMO....
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    They can diversify all they want but it's still a slap in the face of Detroiters who are out of work because of the bad economy due lay offs at the auto plants here in Michigan and they still go to games and cheer the Wings on. What has Honda done for Detroit or the Wings?...absolutely nothing! Illich should be ashamed of himself.

Well now that's a detail worth noting indeed... and for sure it can be argued they could not say no...... I'm surprised Toyota did not make a bid. Honda sell are a bit down...
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Keep it real. It's not the Red Wings giving away a Honda, it's Honda giving away a Honda through the Red Wings. Are you foolish enough to think that Mike Illitch went out and bought a Honda to give away? What's more important to you, American Made or American Owned? Depending on your answer, you may need to prepare to dump a lot of products made by the Big 3.

Yeah, I would NOT keep a Chrysler product if I 'won' it... I'd liquidate it fast and move on with the proceeds and buy a Ford or GM product...
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    what is larger, the 2500 bucks they might profit from the car or the tens of thousands per car spent here on its manufacture coupled with the multiplier of that salary being spent in the community?

I'll sympathize with you "buy American" folks the day you start boycotting GM and Ford for building cars in poverty wage, third world countries and selling them here. OR the day you boycott Chyrsler, which is, for all intents and purposes, a foreign owned company.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-17-10 at 05:55 PM.

what is larger, the 2500 bucks they might profit from the car or the tens of thousands per car spent here on its manufacture coupled with the multiplier of that salary being spent in the community?

I'll sympathize with you "buy American" folks the day you start boycotting GM and Ford for building cars in poverty wage, third world countries and selling them here. OR the day you boycott Chyrsler, which is, for all intents and purposes, a foreign owned company.
    AMEN on all counts!

Blarf Guest

All these morons bitching about a Honda being given away at a Red Wings game probably own DVD players and TV's made by Japanese companies, and clothes and shoes made in china. I bet their kids play with toys made in Taiwan.

LOL! You'd nearly be walking naked and shoeless to try to purchase all domestic clothing products. Not to mention a TV... forget about it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    All these morons bitching about a Honda being given away at a Red Wings game probably own DVD players and TV's made by Japanese companies, and clothes and shoes made in china. I bet their kids play with toys made in Taiwan.

Blah blah whine whine. Honda and Toyota cars are made in America, and GM, Ford, and Chrysler have facilities in Mexico.

Get over it. There's no such thing as an American car company anymore.

"But we need to keep da profits here!" - Yes, we need to keep the profits here so that the companies can mismanage themselves to the point of needing a government bailout.

People need to get off the "OMG Toyota and Honda are un-American" train and get with it. I've only bought American cars in my lifetime, and if I bought a car right now it would probably be a Ford. But this is because it's my choice and that's what I'd want to get.

Stop harassing people for buying foreign cars. Stop harassing people that have done so much good for he region [[the Ilitches) because one of their many, many sponsors happens to Honda.

I went to a Wings game last week and guess what!? They had some massive American truck drive out onto the ice while people made 90-foot shots to try to win a chance to win the "American" truck [[I think it was a Chevy or Dodge).

So get over it people, Honda is one of the sponsors of the Red Wings, and they're not the only auto company that advertises\sponsors at the JLA.
    Last edited by Scottathew; November-17-10 at 10:22 PM.

Blarf Guest

Ironically enough, most of the players on the Red Wings are indeed foreign players. I wonder what these people think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I would preferred they use an American car in the giveaway. Even if Honda gave them the car I would've declined due to negative reaction. Illitch could've reached in his pocket for a new domestic to give away. Hockey is a blue collar sport and it's gonna rub alot of people the wrong way. The boo's might be as good as they were when Kwame tried to talk after they won the cup!
    Gotta remember that ya can't please everbody! Why a Chrysler...It wasn't built in Detroit proper....Why a Ford...They own the Lions...Blah blah blah
    Normally, I would bash Honda because I prefer the Big 3 and have two Fords, but I've got to give credit where credit is due. Illitch gave the Big 3 millions of dollars of free advertising in 2009, yet he makes foreign automakers pay for advertising. Ford posted a $2.7billion profit in 2009. Why should Illitch reach into his own pocket to give away a new Big 3 car when Honda is probably the only willing automaker to pay them as a sponsor to do it? Do you remember this article last year about the millions in free naming rights he gave to the Big 3? Perhaps the Big 3 should start paying their own fu-cken way instead of continuing to ask for charity from everyone.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/09/d...tain-for-free/
    Detroit 3 given naming rights to Comerica Park fountain for free

by Chris Shunk [[RSS feed) on Apr 9th 2009 at 9:32AM

There is no place in the country that's hurting more right now than Detroit and the state of Michigan. The mitten has lost hundreds of thousands of high paying auto jobs, and General Motors and Chrysler have resorted government loans just to stay in business. Detroit Tigers owner Mike Ilitch knows this all too well, and attendance at games this year will likely realize just how bad times are. The Little Caesar's pizza founder even lost GM as the sponsor of his high profile center field fountain at Comerica Park.

The spot typically fetches $1.5 to $2 million for a three-year contract, money that comes in handy when forking out over $100 million a year in baseball salaries. The advertising spot is attractive, however, because the fountain goes off every time there's a home run, and when necks crane to watch, they get an eye-full of the sponsor's logo. Instead of searching for another ad partner for the fountain, even potentially accepting money from import automakers, Ilitch has decided to give away the prime spot to the Detroit Three as a thank you for the industry's support of Michigan over the years. The fountain will, at least for 2009, have the logos of Ford, GM, and Chrysler, with "The Detroit Tigers support our automakers" below. Now Detroit automakers and Ilitch need the Tigers to actually be good this year and hit a few home runs so the new ad can be seen.

Look at all of the ungrateful Detroiters. All that Illitch has done for the big three and because there will be a car given to someone FOR FREE that is a Honda, a huge sponsor of the NHL people flip. The Honda Civic is also built in Indiana if I'm not mistaken. Not only has he done a lot for the big three [[are we forgetting the free advertising in Comerica for a WHOLE YEAR?) but he has done a lot for Detroit. He enploys thousands of people around here as well and someone in the area will be getting a car for nothing! Get over yourselves.

Yada yada yada. It's the symbolism of it all, and to me it doesn't pass the sniff test and makes subtle inferences I don't think are good. Questioning the move has nothing to do with being ungrateful. Shall we all bend down on bended knee and blindly agree with Illitch's every move? I didn't even extend blind acceptance of all to my father.

Yes there are many foreign automakers with plants here, thats a good thing for workers in this country. But the $$$ are going straight back to Tokyo.

But I don't think people get it. Honda is a main sponsor of the NHL. I get that the money goes back to Tokyo. Does Illitch have a choice?

Point well stated...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    But I don't think people get it. Honda is a main sponsor of the NHL. I get that the money goes back to Tokyo. Does Illitch have a choice?

Ironically enough, most of the players on the Red Wings are indeed foreign players. I wonder what these people think about that?
    This is exactly what I was thinking...all upset about a Honda when more than half the team is from Europe. I'm more upset about that. I'd rather those millions of $$ go to a North American player.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Blah blah whine whine. Honda and Toyota cars are made in America, and GM, Ford, and Chrysler have facilities in Mexico.

Get over it. There's no such thing as an American car company anymore.

"But we need to keep da profits here!" - Yes, we need to keep the profits here so that the companies can mismanage themselves to the point of needing a government bailout.

People need to get off the "OMG Toyota and Honda are un-American" train and get with it. I've only bought American cars in my lifetime, and if I bought a car right now it would probably be a Ford. But this is because it's my choice and that's what I'd want to get.

Stop harassing people for buying foreign cars. Stop harassing people that have done so much good for he region [[the Ilitches) because one of their many, many sponsors happens to Honda.

I went to a Wings game last week and guess what!? They had some massive American truck drive out onto the ice while people made 90-foot shots to try to win a chance to win the "American" truck [[I think it was a Chevy or Dodge).

So get over it people, Honda is one of the sponsors of the Red Wings, and they're not the only auto company that advertises\sponsors at the JLA.
    48091...I am thinking your username must be your zip code so you live in Warren. Keep thinking like you are above and let me know how you would feel if the big GM facility were to leave Warren and your taxes went sky high so the City could function. If you do live in Warren, the tell tale signs are already here with the number of vacant homes, foreclosures, people leaving and businesses closing. The trickle down effect is present right under your nose.

48091...I am thinking your username must be your zip code so you live in Warren. Keep thinking like you are above and let me know how you would feel if the big GM facility were to leave Warren and your taxes went sky high so the City could function. If you do live in Warren, the tell tale signs are already here with the number of vacant homes, foreclosures, people leaving and businesses closing. The trickle down effect is present right under your nose.
    OR...how about thinking what would happen if GM builds a 500 million dollar plant to build engines in Warren INSTEAD of in MEXICO? Why do you hate the US autoworker, BuyAmerican? Why do you support the off shoring and outsourcing of local jobs by supporting GM?
    Last edited by bailey; November-18-10 at 10:06 AM.

The Wings would be in last place with all USA players and their owner would be asking the government for a bailout.

Buy American Guest

OR...how about thinking what would happen if GM builds a 500 million dollar plant to build engines in Warren INSTEAD of in MEXICO? Why do you hate the US autoworker, BuyAmerican? Why do you support the off shoring and outsourcing of local jobs by supporting GM?
    You've got to be joking...right? Or maybe you're drinking too much of that Kool-Aid.
    Do profits from the sale of an American car go to Mexico or European Countries?

I LOVE my 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan. If you win the car that "Honda" is giving away, feel free to take advantage of the great resale value and sell it and buy whatever you like....

Why do you care where the profits go? They aren't going to give their money to you [[Unless Obama forces them to)

You've got to be joking...right? Or maybe you're drinking too much of that Kool-Aid.

What does the profitability matter if they employ no US autoworkers? Why are you supporting fat cats instead of the autoworker and our local communities?

Actually, some of GM's profits will. It's estimated that 20% of the stock from GM's IPO was purchased by foreign wealth funds and governments, including many middle eastern country funds and $500 million from China. China can add that to its recent purchase of the former GM Saginaw Gear operation and the former Delphi suspension and brake business.

There are no more American Car companies.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post

Yes there are many foreign automakers with plants here, thats a good thing for workers in this country. But the $$$ are going straight back to Tokyo.
    A lot of the money being paid to many Red Wing players is probably going back to Sweden and Russia. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Actually, some of GM's profits will. It's estimated that 20% of the stock from GM's IPO was purchased by foreign wealth funds and governments, including many middle eastern country funds and $500 million from China. China can add that to its recent purchase of the former GM Saginaw Gear operation and the former Delphi suspension and brake business.

There are no more American Car companies.
    Well everything has it's root cause. There really aren't any "American" politicians in Washington anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2