Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

let the jury decide they know how to deal with type of things .
    although nice article .

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Johnson View Post
    let the jury decide they know how to deal with type of things .
    although nice article .
    Never served on a jury, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    And for those who are unaware, Manna Meals is by far not the only provider of services to the less fortunate around here. There is a soup kitchen and men's shelter on MI ave, a rehab on Fort, a woman's shelter north of 75, and discounted rooms for rent at Corktown Inn. Like I said before, 150+ years and counting. DHab, I'm wondering what exactly you were hoping to work out with St. Peter's regarding the homeless, and what exactly was that deal supposed to help? If you don't mind me asking...
    If the neighborhood does advance, I don't want to see the soup kitchen forced out. I personally feel like people of all incomes should live in the same areas.

And I didn't give Manna all the credit it deserved in my last post. They did agree to come clean up litter [[Styrofoam from the kitchen) and human waste, but by the time i've pulled my vehicle in to my garage and it's on my tires and it smells like feces and urine, it's a little late at that point.

And that is only treating the symptom and not targeting the root cause of the problem. They have never attempted to provide a 24/7 bathroom and aren't interested in doing such. They felt it might encourage crime inside it...funny last time i checked the law, public urination on my garage door was a crime.

I also asked them if they would personally talk to repeat offenders that have been identified and they responded by telling me that they are very angry individuals and they would rather not have to have that conversation.

A real solution to the problem would be mutually beneficial to everyone [[including that they wouldn't have to pick these things up). I think the part that angered me the most was when i was reaching out, father told me 'if it doesn't happen on our property we aren't responsible'

Which is interesting on account if a bar tender over serves a customer and the customer kills someone, the victims can sue them.

It's okay, manna would rather me have fresh shat stains on my fence and piss on my garage door then to have a potentially uncomfortable conversation. I understand.

How in the heck can you compare Spaulding Court and the
    Imagination Station to Slow's? Are either of those rehabs going to bring people into Corktown? Almost every one who owns in Corktown has done a rehab. Since Slow's opened, there has been more interest in Corktown than ever, both good and bad. And I can remember when the Roosevelt Hotel was occupied, probably by some of the same folks laying around now, and there was crime and the same type of
    crap going on because they were turned out at 6:00AM and
    were supposed to be doing something constructive with their
    lives. Not that long ago, someone was murdered in the shadow of MCS. And let's not forget the body in ice in the Roosevelt building. Yes, I agree that the resident's reaction was awful, but sleeping in a school doorway and taking care of your bodily functions probably in the same area wasn't so good either. I don't have the answer to what to do about the homeless, but people need to start taking responsibility for themselves and not wait for someone to sit on a park bench and ask them what they want/need.

Yikes this thread is making me think twice about purchasing a home in Corktown. Is it really that bad there? I always understood Corktown to be pretty good. At least better than Woodbridge as far as dealing with BS is concerned. Are the Clement Kern Apts a problem in the area? I've lived in Woodbridge and never really had a problem.

Default Another Corktowner here

Chitaku, Corktown IS a good place to live. Like anywhere else, we have spikes periodically in property crime, and at least on my block, it prompts us to work together a bit more when we slip. I do not think Rebecca harmless - at all. She and I have had many run-ins, all of them ugly, initially prompted by her attempts to kiss - on the lips - several little boys [[12 and under) in the neighborhood. Yes - I report it every time I see her and she has finally quit pestering me. However, the biggest threat, in my opinion, is Steve. He has harassed and tormented the kids - especially kids of color - and others endlessly and endangered others chasing what he believed to be "drug dealers" at high speeds down the side streets. He was also convinced that, due to being part of the "neighborhood watch", he was entitled to behave that way. Complaints to those who run the watch were ineffective. It has been very, very frustrating and frightening, waiting and knowing that sooner or later, someone would be hurt. I am sorry it was someone who wasn't hurting anyone. But I am glad it wasn't one of the kids or elders - and that the person he beat is recovering.

Default Sure, it's not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    Yikes this thread is making me think twice about purchasing a home in Corktown. Is it really that bad there? I always understood Corktown to be pretty good. At least better than Woodbridge as far as dealing with BS is concerned. Are the Clement Kern Apts a problem in the area? I've lived in Woodbridge and never really had a problem.
    It's not that bad - if you are ok with people smoking crack and drinking in public or on your neighbor's front porch uninvited, garbage strewn everywhere, drug dealing in public, people breaking into your neighbor's house and the police not responding after you call in a burglary in progress, people defecating in your bushes and/or alley, having your house/car/garage broken into and/or catalytic converter stolen multiple times, being concerned about your friends' stuff getting stolen [[after you've convinced them "it's not that bad") when they come to visit, ghetto party stores, shootings at your local bar, parks and streets with broken glass and crack vials, big trucks rolling down your street at all hours [[thanks, Matty Moroun), graffiti, burned out and vacant buildings, transient hotel Corktown Inn, and people making excuses for all of the above, then it's not that bad, please buy my house.

If you want to live in the type of neighborhood that a normal, middle class American would like to live in, then Corktown is not for you.

There are valid reasons why so much property here is owned by people that used to live in the neighborhood but moved to the suburbs.

Friends
    I am no blogger so probably won’t engage in the back and forth I’ve read through. Someone steered me here and I’m willing to weigh in with a take. So one big post. Chastened with the awareness that all of us may be embarrassed to read ourselves even a few years from now. Save us all from the memory of digital archives.

Steve Diponio is a neighbor of ours. He’s lived here a long time and cares, both honestly and perversely, about Corktown, or a certain version of it. He has a pattern of harassment and violence. He needs to listen to fewer voices of sanction and encouragement which would use him. And, sadly, he needs to be held accountable for what in some contexts would be called a hate crime. Neither his weapons nor his symbolics are subtle.

The bigger picture is the Mayor’s downsizing redevelopment plan which will displace people from central city neighborhoods and pour resources [[including money to be made) on Corktown and its likes. In my opinion, Steve is useful crazy to some: the blunter end of gentrification. [[I know those engaged full tilt in that economic enterprise shy from the word, and are even offended by it. So be it) The displaced here are also to be poor and homeless folks moved out and away. Hence is money made. Homelessness is being criminalized and profiled. Homeless people are slated be pushed toward programs that are not homes or toward the neighborhoods stripped of them. The same harassment is happening to young people of color.

The unnamed homeless man is known to me. He is a chronic alcoholic, subject to seizures, and truly a gentle person. The most violent thing he would do is fall down in a faint. He has been courageous to appear repeatedly court. Grant him this heart: he stands up and refuses to be terrorized. Neither the principal nor the maintenance folks at Holy Trinity School have complained about him, in fact they are concerned on his behalf. He faithfully rises and leaves at dawn. He too is a neighbor of ours. By my lights, you don’t have to own property or pay rent to be a member of the Corktown community [[Do check out the 150 year tradition of social justice – start with Clem Kern and the First Detroit Catholic Worker opened by the Murphys). Think about it: he is a neighbor of ours.

I just hear that someone called the cops on Rebecca and they picked her up. She is a neighbor too. She is a member of my congregation at St Peter’s. She can be obstreperous on the street and I’m reluctant to tangle with her but I do with respect. On Sundays she is remarkable sweet and present in church. Christ! I think because we treat her with respect. There’s a concept. I know she is crazy like a fox. Those who treat her like crap, get crap. Her targeting is generally accurate. But she’s not hitting anyone with baseball bats.

I’m not sure who one of you called at Manna and got blown off. Doesn’t sound like us. Call me at 841-7554 and let’s talk.

Me? My interest in this case is in community-based restorative justice. The legal process, however financially imbalanced [[Steve has Kwame Kilpatrick’s attorney, very competent and equally expensive), does need to go forward, and I’ll support that. The question is: how can the community be responsible for addressing this? Not what law was violated, but who was harmed? And so, I think, not just the man beaten, not just the soup kitchen crowd threatened or Manna Meal, nor the homeless population, nor even the Corktown community at its best, but real community and Detroit. To ask who the offenders are, is tougher. Not just Steve or the patrol, or the young white folks moving in with self-images of salvation, or the realtors and development interests, but the big planners and players who make the real money. And then, hardest of hard, what are the remedies? How do we make things right and just for all? How do we honor our neighbors? What sort of redemptive investment by the propertied residents is possible? Those are real questions. I intend to press them. If you are actually neighbors, come help us answer them.

Those are some pretty broad assumptions about your neighbors Pastor SP. In fact, it sounds like you're as prejudice as the folks you describe. The Patrol, young white folks, realtors, and developers - what's that about? Somehow all of "these people" are to blame for what happened to the homeless man in the park? Am I understanding you clearly or am I way off? Is that what you’re getting at?

As for Rebecca, the whole block was behind calling the police. There were actually two incidents that week where they were called. If you think that we [[as in the people that live on my block) haven't tried treating her with respect and kindness over the years, then you're wrong. Respect is a two-way street. There is a difference between coexistence and being a doormat.

So if someone decided to get drunk on the porch of a vacant home across the street from your house, urinate or even defecate right in plain sight for all to see on the sidewalk, harass/heckle/insult families as they walk past or come home from work, and then when asked kindly to "please move along and not drink on this porch" they basically tell you to go f*ck yourself and then challenge you with "what are you going to do about it - call the police?" as they proceed to tell you they're going to kill you, kill your dog, and burn your house down when you're gone [[don't forget the poke in the eye when they got up in your face) - Your answer and your solution is just more respect? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by pastorsp View Post
    What sort of redemptive investment by the propertied residents is possible? Those are real questions. I intend to press them. If you are actually neighbors, come help us answer them.
    Are you f*cking kidding me? Redemptive investment? Propertied residents?

To cut through the BS, the good reverend's philosophy is to attract people from miles around to Corktown, feed them and dump them on the surrounding neighborhood to clean up their mess.

Lots of people are for social justice when it doesn't live in their backyard.

DetroitPole Guest

I lived in the neighborhood for a while. I went on neighborhood patrol with Steve Diponio. We were on a first name basis. This shocks me but doesn't surprise me. He had an incredible temper and probably some mental problems. He was constantly ranting, raving; furious. I hope they lock him up for a long time and this is a wake-up call for him so he doesn't hurt anyone else.

Let's be clear: the homeless[[to the neighbor) are at best, an annoyance, and at worst, criminals. No, Corktown homeless weren't smiling happy-go-lucky hobos. That is a lie. I lived there and they sucked. They pissed and shit everywhere and swore and stole things and were aggressive. However under no circumstances is what Steve did even comprehensible to a normal, decent human being. It is one thing to fly off the handle and give somebody a knuckle sandwich. It is quite another to tie them to a pickup and drag them.

I moved out of Corktown. I didn't really like it. I didn't like the homeless. I didn't like the neighbors. Everyone hates each other. It's the middle class whites verses the working class/poor whites verses the blacks verses the homeless verses the renters. People there looked down on me for abandoning Corktown and told me so, and it didn't matter that I was still living in the city. The "leadership" there seems to think they're appointed by God on some divine mission to lead Corktown. Now I finally have some normal neighbors. No offense to the good, decent people who just try to lead their lives and do their part in Corktown. I tried to be one of those people.

Corktown is kind of an artificial creation. You have what used to be a dilapidated working-class neighborhood and some people attempting to fix it up, clean it up, and make it middle class or bohemian. Well, the forces of Detroit are working against them, and everyone is pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Are you f*cking kidding me? Redemptive investment? Propertied residents?

To cut through the BS, the good reverend's philosophy is to attract people from miles around to Corktown, feed them and dump them on the surrounding neighborhood to clean up their mess.

Lots of people are for social justice when it doesn't live in their backyard.
    Super post Sparky! I have to admit "WTF" kept going through my mind when I red the reverend's post. IMO you nailed it with your analysis.

I lived in Detroit many years. To me quality of life was a major issue. In my neighborhood it was violent crime that plagued us If homeless are resulting in a serious deterioration of the Corktown community's quality of life then the soup kitchen should be willing to address issues that the residents are raising. That is not asking too much.

Parks with passed-out drunks and druggies, porches with the same, break-ins of homes and autos, etc. Those things tend to chase away good residents and deter potential residents from locating into a neighborhood. Honestly, if I were a person considering a move to Corktown and read this post, I would have serious doubts.

Gentlemen, At the end of the day we all have to work and live in the same neighborhood so we might as well be civil about it.

I would like to think that we could work together to solve these problems. Most people in this neighborhood are very active and open to ideas to fix the issues to make corktown a great place to live.

Our major roadblock is that the soup kitchen is in denial to the problems it brings to the neighborhood.

Indecent exposure, Public Urination, Public Defecation, Trespassing, Littering, Public Drunkenness, Disturbing the peace,
    Death Threats, Solicitation of prostitution, Open Container, petty theft Are all crimes I have PERSONALLY witnessed guests of the manna meal committing.

I called the manna meal to discuss ways to fix these problems and my pleas were met with 100% resistance and denial of responsibility for anything that happens off of St. peters property with the singular exception that they would police the surrounding area for litter and human waste....which is nice, but not a solution AND creates more work for the soup kitchen. REAL solutions would help them too, but they don't see that. By the time shat fills my nostrils in the morning air or stains my fence i've already been disrespected by the manna meal guests.

I asked about bans for repeat offenders disrespecting the neighborhood and I was told 'that is not our policy'. I asked if a restroom could be available 24/7 and I was told they had not tried it and were not going to. I asked if he could talk to the offenders, again resistance. Not a single suggestion or effort was he receptive to.

I think the soup kitchen should stay, but I want solutions for my neighborhood, not legalistic denial.

Rebecca is a threat to the safety neighborhood. It was completely the neighborhoods choice in entirety to call the police. We are in solidarity that she needs to go. You won't find a single dissident to her arrest. The soup kitchen is a crutch to her. Once she gets fed, she can spend her money on getting drunk. Manna Meal is making her life much worse. She needs psychiatric help. Pastor SP is way off, my neighbor gave her a carton of cigarettes, she responded by threatening her life. My brother was helping me paint my house, she starting swearing a storm up at him 100% unprovoked. We need to find a home for her where she can get treatment and stop terrorizing our neighborhood.

Can we find some real solutions here to make this a better place to live? Can we try and see that the actions and things we each do impact the lives of those around us and try to take some responsibility for those negative effects?

I think it's obvious Corktown is sick of getting shat on.

Thanks for the information about St. Peter, DH. I often atted historic churches in Downtown and SW Detroit. I also often make significant contributions to the ones that I find are doing a good job of caring for their property, maintaining or renovating phystical structures, etc. And I have a group of friends that often attend the churches or events at the churches and contribute a decent amount of money also.

From the way this sounds I will put St. Peter on my list of churches to not visit or support.

Rebbecca sounds like Stella. A lot of huff & puff but not much else.

As an outsider, I have no freakin' idea what to think.

Frankly, I do have a grain of salt to take with all sides here. Those who urge restraint and care dealing with the homeless have a point: They have substance abuse and mental problems, and are often only antagonistic in response to perceived slights or insults. They need help, and society is not going to give it to them, so naturally they rummage through garbage and cool their heels on park benches, waiting for the next meal. But these charitable, Christian folks also probably the minority when it comes to that neighborhood. Honestly, nobody wants to hear that after people leave turds behind your house year in and out. I understand the anger I hear in response to these homilies.

As for the residents' complaints, out comes my grain of salt again. Let's face it: A lot of upper income people are simply not prepared to deal with the daily nonsense we all do in the city. Isn't it safe to say that people who can pay the premium for a Corktown home are more likely to be easily intimidated, socially fragile, to feel outrage disproportionate to the situation? I can see that too.

Lots to chew on here. As an outsider, let's just say I'm fascinated by this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    ts, out comes my grain of salt again. Let's face it: A lot of upper income people are simply not prepared to deal with the daily nonsense we all do in the city. Isn't it safe to say that people who can pay the premium for a Corktown home are more likely to be easily intimidated, socially fragile, to feel outrage disproportionate to the situation? I can see that too.
    No, not really. I know of few, if any, "upper income" people that live in Corktown. It's not like this is some up and coming neighborhood in Brooklyn that is attracting the UMC. My neighbors are everyday working people or in some cases even unemployed.

Reverend Bill, Jeff DeBruyn and others of their ilk would like to pretend that the historic district in Corktown is Beverly Hills with their talk of gentrification or whatnot. It is simply not the case. They use this argument to pit our neighbors in North Corktown against our neighbors in the historic district of Corktown for whatever their personal agendas are.

The fact is that there is little "premium" if any to live in the historic district. You can get a home in the historic district for below $100,000. Call O'Connor and ask them.

I wouldn't buy a house in Corktown if I didn't already own one. No one should have to put up with what we are expected to put up with everyday. If my posting it on the Internet keeps people from wanting to move here then so be it. Maybe I will save someone from making the mistake that my neighbors and I did. As long as people like Reverend Bill are here, this will never be a nice place to live.

Chitaku, call me.

Thanks for the perspective, Sparky. I still think Corktown is too rich for my blood, housing-cost-wise. But then again, for everybody involved, this all comes down to perceptions -- except for the actual homeless, I guess.

It's easy to say "help the homeless", but how do you help those individuals who do not want help, just want to stay drunk or high at others' expense? They can no longer be locked up, that would violate their rights. But they continue to violate the rights of citizens who just want a clean, safe community. While dragging someone behind a car is uncalled for, the knuckle sandwich might be a good idea. Sounds like Rebecca needs one

Quote Originally Posted by mittengal View Post
    It's easy to say "help the homeless", but how do you help those individuals who do not want help, just want to stay drunk or high at others' expense? They can no longer be locked up, that would violate their rights. But they continue to violate the rights of citizens who just want a clean, safe community. While dragging someone behind a car is uncalled for, the knuckle sandwich might be a good idea. Sounds like Rebecca needs one
    So, it's "uncalled for" to drag somebody to death, but sounds good to punch a person? Disgusting ...

Augustiner Guest

So, it's "uncalled for" to drag somebody to death, but sounds good to punch a person? Disgusting ...
    ...and unlikely to solve the problem. Punch an obnoxious and aggressive homeless person in the face, and you will have an obnoxious and aggressive homeless person who has just been punched in the face. I don't understand how this is a desirable outcome.

Exactly - That's why you call the police.

DetroitPole Guest

C'mon now, don't be such a prude. I don't advocate going around slugging people in the face, but I've been in a few fistfights and it's quite different than dragging somebody behind a truck.

What are some other solutions to this Rebecca[[I know who she is from living there simply because of the description, in my home we knew her as the shitting bum lady)? The Greyhound station is there - what about a one way ticket to a warming climate? Everybody could chip in and see if she takes it. Then everyone is happy.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; November-19-10 at 05:53 PM.

No, a knuckle sandwich would not solve the problem, but one can dream! I would not be so stupid & get myself arrested, & maybe lose my job, while the creep goes on their drunken way, laughing! Calling the police does not permanently solve the problem, wherever we may live. I wonder if those who so defend these people's behavior have actually lived by them & experienced their abuse & damage to their community. And what is your solution to the problem--what more can be done to help them?

Stosh Guest

How about the city calling together all the homeless supporters in a room and getting them to agree to shift support services to a single location/area to better service the homeless population? I would think that concentrating the services within a given area can reduce the possibility of waste, increasing the chances of a better outcome toward the homeless population of the city. I'm sure that there's spare DPS properties that can be reconverted with donations to make this happen?

Of course, I will let you all choose the neighborhood..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast