I'm guessing that Ilitch's financial people, led by Tom Wilson, know that the NBA near term financial outlook is not good. There's a pending labor dispute, attendance is nosediving around the league and the recession means ticket prices have come down as well. Ilitch would be smart to low ball his offer, hoping Davidson is starting to bleed cash with this year's team and wants out in a hurry.
I also think the Pistons were lucky that the Bad Boys came along shortly after moving to the Palace and just as things were getting grim they followed the Grant Hill era with another championship team.
I don't think people will be willing to drive and park at the Palace at 50 bucks a seat if the team remains mediocre for a few years. Basketball is very hard to rebuild if you don't sink to the basement, get lucky with draft picks and have the kind of city that's attractive to free agents. The Pistons and their fans have had it great for a long stretch. So what do you do to build excitement? You build a new stadium downtown. [[see Lions and Tigers).