There is a public golf course and a private golf course at Palmer Park. I've heard that membership fees have dropped from around $35000 a year to $6000 at the private golf course. Looks like the private golf club might fold. Personally, I say, "let it fold." It has always amazed me, regarding private golf courses, that we take away from the public so much municipal space to make golf courses just for the enjoyment of a few rich folks. At anyrate, my main point in this thread is to suggest that there should be only one golf course in Palmer Park. Keep the private course [[the western course), make it a public course, and use the current public course for retail development.

I have envisioned that the corner of Seven Mile and Woodward would be a much more accessible area for retail then the proposed Shoppes at Gateway [[ SAG) at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. The area is the most affluent area of Detroit and it would be far more walkable for residents if retail was at Seven and Woodward instead of Eight Mile and Woodward. Better crosstown access by bus would exist at Seven and Woodward than Eight and Woodward. For all of this to happen, however, the public golf course has to be eliminated. I could envision a strip mall with a Target and a Meijer's as anchors and other smaller retail shops. Parking would be in the back, with stores facing both Woodward and Seven Mile, respectively. I know, it would never happen, but that intersection just seems so ideal for retail instead of a golf course, especially since Seven Mile from Wyoming to Woodward is essentially all residential.