I left Michigan near Livernois after having some fun with a friend, and decided to drive surface streets instead of the freeways. I was in no rush to get home.

Found myself on Jefferson Avenue...and realized that at roughly 38 degrees, after 12:30 or so there is no apparent curfew to gain access to Belle Isle. It was a stunningly clear sky, so I decided to take a lap.

Saw the lights of the Riverwalk along the shore, nearly to the bridge. Decided they cast too much light pollution.

Drove past the fountain...then suddenly through a hazy-whispy fog layer over the road, in the very still air it hovered. You could see where the previous car drove through from the turbulence tunnel.

Made me remember my first time seeing the two herds of albino deer on the soccer fields in the wee hours of the morning many years ago.

Passed the Coast Guard station...and was bummed to find NO STANDING 11pm-6am signs along the curbside. Pulled into the gravel lot and quickly parked. Got out with my large bottle of Evian and started walking along the path...now intent to take a seat on ItsJeff's Bench.

Noticed as I rounded the bend a white pickup truck parked perpendicular to the path...and then saw some scissor-lift rise out of the TOP of its cap. At first I thought there was a PERSON on the top, but realized it was only large enough for someone prone...all that sat in it was something that looked not unlike a television camera.

I went on my way, knowing there was another double-bench a bit further along the path. Never made it, the sky was too awesome to walk any further.

It was exactly one o'clock in the morning. I got suspicious of this plain white pickup truck with the cab and a half. What the heck could they POSSIBLY be doing, in the dark, all alone with this scissors thing?! So, I doubled back quietly and decided to observe for a moment or two.

The sky was crystal clear...and this lonely fellow basically aiming something upriver...almost precisely along the shipping channel sightline. I've seen enough freighters come and go through.

The scissors life mechanism was four units high, with crossmembers probably 5-6 feet long. I'd estimate the total raised height of this crow's nest was about 25 feet. It needed line-of-sight and/or radiates enough to hurt the occupants in the truck.

About five or so minutes later [[I didn't have anything better to do) a small plane flew from the west to the east, only a few hundred feet above the water surface. I heard the guy's radio, but it was too far to understand...I could barely notice the tonality of the conversation...and there was some order, a question from the driver, then a short reply and confirmation.

I am quite sure it was originated by the radio, not the driver.

Not long afterward, he got out...went to the back gate and lowered the lift...then drove off towards the lighthouse with his lights off.

At that point I noticed a freighter gliding smoothly with the flow of the straight.

My best guess is some vehicle which keeps track of freight for insurance purposes [[or better)...at least a visual confirmation of its passage at key points in the route. Although, I found it odd that ANYTHING was happening at one a.m., within ten feet of where I wished to sit for a few moments.

I went to my car and drove home. Made a sketch when I got in the driveway, and noted the times and such. I cannot imagine what he was doing on the Island this morning.