Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Heaven forbid anyone have to walk anywhere in a city! Those poor people in New York City, always walking everywhere. And there are 3 restaurants right on that same block, a few more within a two minute walk, and the newer YMCA is just on the next block. Opera House right across the street. I'd hardly call the location "terrible"
    AMEN to that!

The employees will probably have access to the cafeteria and gym at Compuware. And, maybe even the parking garage.

Does any one expect the Madison building to actually be complete with this announcement? Meaning, the theater portion is actually built out [[parking garage) and the roof is completed [[common area supposed to be used by Post Bar).

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Does any one expect the Madison building to actually be complete with this announcement? Meaning, the theater portion is actually built out [[parking garage) and the roof is completed [[common area supposed to be used by Post Bar).
    Is there actually a parking garage? To my understanding, there is merely a small lot where the auditorium used to be, which would pose a small problem, which could easily be rectified by fixing up and using the underground garage at GCP.

Also, Post bar never went into this building, Angelina Italian Bistro is in there now, but this building would be completely full if Quicken were to move employees into this building...

Gistok said that 400 people would be a lot for this building... I agree, there are 4 floors of office space, so that's 100 people per floor in a building with just about 48,000 sq. ft. [[or so I have read)... I work in an office space with about 12,000 sq. ft, the same per floor as the Madison, and we comfortably have 50 people in our space. So, unless they have the densest office ever there, I think we are realistically looking at 250 people [[tops) in that building... Either way, I think it's great if we get a business on GCP!

I look across GCP from my apartment every morning. I can only hope that having Quicken in the old Madison will put a push on Beal construction to do something with the Broderick...on my way to work this morning I saw a Beal construction truck....hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I look across GCP from my apartment every morning. I can only hope that having Quicken in the old Madison will put a push on Beal construction to do something with the Broderick...on my way to work this morning I saw a Beal construction truck....hmmmm.
    Beal signs recently went up on a couple of derelict properties on Merchant's Row, along with scaffolding in front of one. So they are doing work down there, unfortunately it isn't the Broderick yet. If anything ever happens with the Broderick, I truly believe that the David Whitney Building wouldn't be very far behind. Nobody is about to renovate the DWB if they have to look across the street at the Broderick everyday, so I think if one gets renovated, the other will certainly generate some interest. After the Stott, it is in about the best condition of all the derelict downtown buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Why would Quicken have not moved if not for the DEGC? They don't have their own funds?
    They have their own funds, but, incentives are what drive deals nowadays. That's what delivered Compuware, Campus Martius, Ernst & Young, General Motors, both stadiums, the Lions and a few more companies downtown. We need to judge the DEGC on everything that they do, not just Tiger Stadium and the Lafayette Building.

Did I miss something? Isn't being able to walk from place to place what being in the central cities is all about? Hell, when I worked at the City-County Building if it was a decent day I would often walk up to the Madison Theater Building for a corned beef sandwich at Lefkovsky's. No big deal, just a pleasant stroll up and down Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Did I miss something? Isn't being able to walk from place to place what being in the central cities is all about? Hell, when I worked at the City-County Building if it was a decent day I would often walk up to the Madison Theater Building for a corned beef sandwich at Lefkovsky's. No big deal, just a pleasant stroll up and down Woodward.
    I agree. Most people can walk up and down the "Magnificent Mile" in Chicago all day. Hell, I could walk Woodward from Jefferson to West Grand Boulevard as long as there's something to see and somewhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Someone needs to re-open that funky coffee shop at Griswold and Grand River! Business opportunity!
    Actually, I'd be surprised if it's still available... these things tend to get 'sorted out' just before a nearby business moves in. Maybe Cafe D'Mongo will finally open for lunch? Can you imagine that?
    I don't think that Urban Bean Co.'s going anywhere.
    I heard the owner lives in the basement after having decided he doesn't want to run a coffee business after all.

I had always thought that Quicken Loan would want a more modern building with a huge parking structure nearby. I am for walkability and had spewed my support for it many times on this site.I also know the politics in Detroit. When a "Openning Soon" or "Coming Soon" sign is in a window of a vacant building in downtown the word, soon, usually mean 1 to 3 years.I would hate to see the employees walking down Woodward, Broadway, or Washington Blvd past still empty storefronts, aggresive pandhandlers, and unshoveled sidewalk just to get to a decent restaurant at campus martius. I had felt that 1001 Woodward or 100 Woodward would had been a good place for Quicken Loans.Chicago, New York, and other cities have a thriving business district with restaurants that are stable and don't cater to the "Pay to Play" politics that had diseased Detroit's retail and restaurants along Woodward and other areas. I would agree that the old building would be a nice spot if Broadway, Woodward, and Washington Blvd get more low to middle end restaurants, cafes, and clothing stores that sell items for the common person. I might want to purchase a pair of Levis while I am working downtown. There are no places that sell common items like that let alone business attires for women that are affordable and not cheaply made or ghetto fashioned

The location of the Madison was corrected in that story...to:

The building is located on Broadway near the intersection of Witherell and overlooks Grand Circus Park.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101109/...#ixzz15AuhOimg
    \

DetroitDad Guest

Johnny5, I may be mistaken, but the average American buys a new house every five years, while one in six Americans moves every year. On the other hand, the average American switches banks, buys a new major appliance from Sears, or buys a new car every five to ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    A bit like comparing a grape to a watermelon isn't it?

Ford sells upwards of 3 million cars per year! Quicken closed loan number 1 million just this year. Also the companies you mentioned deal with the same customers on a regular basis year, after year, after year. That leaves many chances for something to go wrong. How many times does the average consumer seek a mortgage or refinance?

I'm not suggesting Quicken is, or has been breaking any laws [[Like King Kwame), only that they have a questionable reputation. If you go to Rippoffreport.com and search only Michigan it's rather obvious that Quicken receives more complaints than most any Michigan based company [[Ford, G.M and Chrysler included ).

*** For the record I've never had any dealings whatsoever with Quicken or any of their subsidiary companies. I happen to dislike slimy car salesman just as much as I dislike slimy loan sales people .

DetroitDad Guest

But it's still wrong, at least on the updated map illustration. They pinpointed the wrong block this time.

http://detnews.com/article/20101109/...#ixzz15AuhOimg

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    The location of the Madison was corrected in that story...to:

The building is located on Broadway near the intersection of Witherell and overlooks Grand Circus Park.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101109/...#ixzz15AuhOimg
    \

Yeah, I saw that map as well before I read the article... that is the location of the YMCA, and for a second I thought they were moving in there!

Got a chuckle out of this translation of a local article:

Buy | expedite loans to buy Detroit Madison Building

November 9, 2010 – 1:51 pm Mortgage companies have signed a contract for the construction of Madison, now due diligence and accelerating the CEO, Bill Emerson, said in an e-mail to employees Monday night, confirmed the spokesperson the company.
    Building on Grand River Avenue near Washington Avenue, two blocks, overlooking the Grand Circus Park Compuware Corporation.
    "You know, we are at our headquarters in Detroit, Michigan committed, how many team members as long as we can," Emerson wrote an e-mail. "In just three, because we in the city for several months, I can say that we have a difference -. Frankly, Detroit has sold all its diversity "
    Now accelerated in August signed a five-year lease four floors until 1700, but still not enough workers in the space T for their employees in all urban areas of Michigan.
    Acceleration of the founder and president, said Gilbert, in August should increase by about 2,000 employees downtown. He said he hopes to bring more business center and a technology center to help the city of S Woodward Avenue was named, "WEBward Boulevard." Is
    "We are looking for space in Detroit to win not only for our own team, but to other companies," said a spokesman, Paul Silver. "We want new companies to help them."
    Bank of anonymity, the purchase price or the spelling of the construction of a more concrete plan.
    "We intend to take a final decision," he said.
    In August to expedite the vast majority of urban employees, giving them a pay increase to offset city revenue, amounting to 1.25 per cent of foreigners is at work, income, and two percent of workers live in Detroit.
    S Gilbert to help the property to expedite real estate services company to meet customers and employees, but also to those interested in moving to a new town, old urban areas and to finance its suburbs in the sale or rental of housing for their employees.

http://www.dragonparadox.com/health-...ison-building/

1001 Woodward would had been an excellent building to house all of Quicken Loans employees. All of the office space that is empty in that building.

Mmmmm Angelina's Italian Bistro..... This should liven up Broadway and Grand Circus Park nicely in the warmer months.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3