Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Light Rail and Woodward Corridor speculation

There has been a lot of talk that the forthcoming light rail system will be a harbinger for future development and further rehabilitation of Woodward. Many Detroiters have a collective anticipation and hope that this transit system will spur both commercial and residential high density infill development. The light rail system is viewed as one very important piece in creating safe, walkable urban districts, if not entire neighborhoods. For my own part I believe that the light rail will be a catalyst for all of the above, as I have observed the development that light rail brings in other cities, and it is impressive.

My question to the board is this: Are there any light rail speculators out there? Anyone waiting for the light rail construction to begin before they purchase a property, invest/rehabilitate a property, or start a business on Woodward? Anyone thinking about getting in before all the subsequent development begins?

In the interest of full disclosure, I will be the first to answer my own question, and hopefully bunk some light rail naysayers. I recently purchased a property in Woodbridge. I am between a 5 and 10 minute walk to the proposed light rail station at Warren and Woodward. I made this decision because I want to live, work, and play close to mass transit, and I want to do it in Detroit [[although I can afford a place in Midtown and enjoy the area, I prefer the charms of Woodbridge).

I have heard many of the "get in early" proclamations in Detroit over the years, but this time, this era, is different. And we are in a new era. The emphasis and focus on Detroit is, at least in my lifetime, unprecedented, and the momentum and potential is growing every day.

2016 is a long time away, and the light rail may not be operational then, but it's coming, and I can't wait to hop on The Woodie and take it down to the ballpark, the new ice rink/basketball stadium, the River Walk, or the airport or even for a night out in Ann Arbor.
    Last edited by Zozo; November-08-10 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling