Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Bing wins!

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    anybody want to get in on an office pool for when Mon Con and\or cronies will file a lawsuit attempting to blocking Ken K from retruning to council as president?
    Better hurry up with that pool , its looks like its going to happen asap

http://www.freep.com/article/2009050...s+in+encounter

Because Cockrel was actually an interim mayor not elected by the people it would seem like he should go back to what he was, even though the charter doesn't address it. It would be interesting to see how a judge would see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Many of them did not live in the City when there was a residency requirement, but most of them did. Then, when the requirement was lifted and they left en masse, the areas that had been stabilized by their presence suffered.

So many employees no longer live in the city. They don't care about the City as much because they don't have as much stake in it.They count on the union preserving their jobs, along with the privatization rules council passed. They count on keeping jobs even as there is far less revenue in part because they pay less city tax and no property tax [[in most cases).

Removing the residency requirement had a negative impact on the City, as many in the legislature knew it would.

So, let people live wherever they want to live. But as someone who continues to be a tax-paying Detroiter, my feelings about those employees have changed. Privatize wherever it makes fiscal sense. Heck, hire a private police force, we pretty much have one now.

[[Okay, I will go ahead and admit to a bit of hyperbole because I really don't like the idea of a police force that doesn't live in the area they are sworn to protect and serve. I will never believe they care as much as they would if their children had to walk those same streets.)

If I want someone to rent a home or an apartment from me, I fix it up as nice as I can and clean up the area around the home or building. One of the reasons I do this, beside having pride in what I do, is because I have to compete with other property owners that are working as hard, if not harder, as I am.

Detroit needs to look at the quality of life that's being offered in our neighboring communities and strive to be more competitive.

Bulk pickup every week.
    Police that respond when called.
    Lower millage rates.
    Better schools.
    Safe, clean streets.
    Well lit streets.

Improving those things and providing other core services better is what Detroit needs to do to get people to live here. A person forced to stay somewhere is not a resident, they're a prisoner or a hostage. People should live here because they want to live here.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    A person forced to stay somewhere is not a resident, they're a prisoner or a hostage. People should live here because they want to live here.
    Well, they weren't exactly forced. Nobody said they had to work for the City of Detroit.

kraig,

As I said, let them live wherever they want. But you can't argue with the results.

It's harder to get people to work late or come in early because they have more transportation issues now or very long commutes. This also affects emergency response [[not talking about public safety, but operational emergencies). Employees freely joke about how they don't care anymore because they don't have to live here. In some cases, there might even be conflicts of interest. What's best for Detroit might not be what's best for the city you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    kraig,

As I said, let them live wherever they want. But you can't argue with the results.

It's harder to get people to work late or come in early because they have more transportation issues now or very long commutes. This also affects emergency response [[not talking about public safety, but operational emergencies). Employees freely joke about how they don't care anymore because they don't have to live here. In some cases, there might even be conflicts of interest. What's best for Detroit might not be what's best for the city you live in.

Of the people I know that work for the city, the ones that live in the suburbs tend to get there earlier and stay later in order to avoid rush hour traffic.

You can't blame poor city services on the lack of a residency rule. Residency was dropped less than 10 years ago. City services sucked well before then.

And, you're still missing my point. People have options of where they can live, the City of Detroit needs to make itself a more attractive option for people.

I think this is good news for Detroit. To have KC back at council helm instead of the whining bitch. And to have a real businessman as the mayor this could be a good chance for Detroit to actually move forward.

The issue is the next election where KC has stated he will run again for Mayor. Too bad bcause that opens the door for the either the tiara wearing, singing cow to become council president or "the queen bitch of uselessness" to come back as council President.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I think this is good news for Detroit. To have KC back at council helm instead of the whining bitch. And to have a real businessman as the mayor this could be a good chance for Detroit to actually move forward.

The issue is the next election where KC has stated he will run again for Mayor. Too bad bcause that opens the door for the either the tiara wearing, singing cow to become council president or "the queen bitch of uselessness" to come back as council President.
    I agree 100% Goat... although some on this forum are likely to call you out on the "businessman" comment....

i'll be writing a long letter to send to mayor bing.. not a bashing, but laying out some key concerns..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5