Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bing wins!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I went to high school with Cliff [[who was a great athlete himself, by the way), and I congratulate him on his win as well.

Cliff is cool as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    I wonder if Monica will try to block Cockrel from taking his title back.
    Called it....

Cockrel will return as council president, two members say

Darren A. Nichols / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2009905060421

"Conyers said on a local television show the council's research and analysis division is looking into whether she can retain her presidency, but officials said this afternoon they have not received a formal request."

"[[Conyers) may have looked at it herself, [[but) I hope she would not bring that issue to the table. She will be defeated on that," Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said. "The mayor will revert to president of council. Some people don't seem to think it works that way. He was elected by the people."

and from WDIV...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19384661/detail.html

"The charter only speaks to succession forward, it doesn't speak to what happens if the mayor happens to come back," Conyers said Wednesday. "That is something council is looking into, but we'll see what happens."

When asked if she would challenge Cockrel's return, Conyers said, "I, personally, do not care about that."

Conyers said she only brought up the issue because "that's what people are talking about."

Sure we believe you Monica!
    Last edited by leland_palmer; May-06-09 at 02:12 PM.

10% 15% - who cares? Bing said the City voted for
    change - oh yeah, let's wait until the real election in the fall and see how many of the nitwits on the City Council get re elected - I'll believe change when I can
    actually experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Called it....

Cockrel will return as council president, two members say

Darren A. Nichols / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2009905060421

"Conyers said on a local television show the council's research and analysis division is looking into whether she can retain her presidency, but officials said this afternoon they have not received a formal request."

"[[Conyers) may have looked at it herself, [[but) I hope she would not bring that issue to the table. She will be defeated on that," Councilman Kwame Kenyatta said. "The mayor will revert to president of council. Some people don't seem to think it works that way. He was elected by the people."

and from WDIV...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19384661/detail.html

"The charter only speaks to succession forward, it doesn't speak to what happens if the mayor happens to come back," Conyers said Wednesday. "That is something council is looking into, but we'll see what happens."

When asked if she would challenge Cockrel's return, Conyers said, "I, personally, do not care about that."

Conyers said she only brought up the issue because "that's what people are talking about."

Sure we believe you Monica!
    Somewhere in a locked office on the 14th floor, Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and Sheila Cockrel are screaming Hallelujah at the return of Ken Cockrel to the City Council. Whew says Kenyatta. This Council has been ran like a zoo. Jones jumps in to say, with all the singing going on in the meetings, I was thinking I was in church and Brooks Patterson was the Devil. I'm so glad my step-son is coming back cried Cockrel. At least he won't be checking me about getting a man. He knows I only loved one man....... Hallelujah

In the case of soon to be ex Council President Monica Conyers, if she wanted to stay president of the council then perhaps she should have been campaigning for Cockrel. Her voice was very silence during his campaign and yet she knew that if had lost, he would return to the council as president.

I suppose it is hard to let go of power when you have it. Conyers was placing herself as a player in Detroit politics. To have to go back to being the second kinda sucks. Imagine being Ken Cockrel, Jr. and having to go back to that pit of snakes and try to bring some order. I wish his luck.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    In the case of soon to be ex Council President Monica Conyers, if she wanted to stay president of the council then perhaps she should have been campaigning for Cockrel. Her voice was very silence during his campaign and yet she knew that if had lost, he would return to the council as president.

I suppose it is hard to let go of power when you have it. Conyers was placing herself as a player in Detroit politics. To have to go back to being the second kinda sucks. Imagine being Ken Cockrel, Jr. and having to go back to that pit of snakes and try to bring some order. I wish his luck.
    I think you're giving her too much credit.

Last night on TV2's special "Let it Rip" segment, they showed a live shot of MonCon at the Bing headquarters. The link is below. She appears round the 4:05 mark.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...rip_bing_mayor

anybody want to get in on an office pool for when Mon Con and\or cronies will file a lawsuit attempting to blocking Ken K from retruning to council as president?

Congrats Mayor Bing ! I'm a big believer that if something is broken you keep trying different options until you find something that works. Mayor Bing represents major changes some of which people won't like but is probably needed. The vote everyone should pay attention to is the one setting up the charter commission. All incumbents should be very worrried if they can read the tea leaves concerning that vote.

Somewhere in a locked office on the 14th floor, Kwame Kenyatta, Brenda Jones and Sheila Cockrel are screaming Hallelujah at the return of Ken Cockrel to the City Council. Whew says Kenyatta. This Council has been ran like a zoo. Jones jumps in to say, with all the singing going on in the meetings, I was thinking I was in church and Brooks Patterson was the Devil. I'm so glad my step-son is coming back cried Cockrel. At least he won't be checking me about getting a man. He knows I only loved one man....... Hallelujah
    There is a really weird relationship between using council to jump to the mayors office.Most Detroit mayors historically were not on the council and usually when councilpeople run they lose.

Louis C. Miriani was an exception and then he was defeated by Cavanaugh. Ironically he ended up going back to the council. He seems like historically in Detroit popularity on the council doesn't translate to popularity as an mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I think you're giving her too much credit.
    No, bear I give her no credit. My point is: if you sit on your hands and do nothing then expect the unexpected. If Conyers wanted to maintain her title as President of the Council she should not sat on her hands. Now, don't think for a moment I really believe she can lead any voters to vote for any candidate because I don't but that does not mean she should do nothing.

Bearinabox Guest

No, bear I give her no credit. My point is: if you sit on your hands and do nothing then expect the unexpected. If Conyers wanted to maintain her title as President of the Council she should not sat on her hands. Now, don't think for a moment I really believe she can lead any voters to vote for any candidate because I don't but that does not mean she should do nothing.
    All I meant was, interpreting her actions in terms of what a rational person might do is not likely to be a productive exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Last night on TV2's special "Let it Rip" segment, they showed a live shot of MonCon at the Bing headquarters. The link is below. She appears round the 4:05 mark.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...rip_bing_mayor
    You can hear her yelling "Do it baby" during his acceptance speech.

One of the main problems I have with Mayor Bing is that he only moved to Detroit to run for mayor. [[Where did he move anyway... a hotel?) For some reason I see him leaving the city as soon as his time as mayor is up. Back to Oakland County. Then it will be "thanks for everything..." [[Please take Monica with you) Leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    One of the main problems I have with Mayor Bing is that he only moved to Detroit to run for mayor. [[Where did he move anyway... a hotel?) For some reason I see him leaving the city as soon as his time as mayor is up. Back to Oakland County. Then it will be "thanks for everything..." [[Please take Monica with you) Leaves a foul taste in my mouth.
    Who cares where he goes after his term is up? As long as he leaves the city in better shape than when he took the job.

Didn't somebody on this list report that the owner of Le Petit Zinc said it was easier to open a business in New York than it was in Detroit? If Bing can change that even a little, this could be a good thing.

Thanks to the City Council who slipped in the proposal to amend the charter.

One of the things that they should add to the charter is a rule that states that a citizen who seeks office in the city of Detroit must be a resident of the city for at least 2 years prior to petition for public office.

I didn't vote for Bing because I knew name recognition who get him the office. [[I did the same thing when I lived in California when a certain actor decided to run in a special election) I hope Mayor Bing can do the job that Kilpatrick failed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Who cares where he goes after his term is up? As long as he leaves the city in better shape than when he took the job.
    I think someone who plans to live in the place they are reshaping would do a better job than someone who will ultimately walk away and not have to worry about it.

What difference does it make if he goes back to Oakland County? I thought we were all in this together? It shouldn't matter where a person lives, as long as his heart is in the right place. If he loves Detroit, he can make a difference without living there. Funny nobody says anything about Mike Illitch not living in Detroit. Look at all he's done for the city. It don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    So, who now lines up against Bing for November? Will Cockrel take another shot at it, with his political future really on the line this time? Will someone else come out of the field to challenge Bing on his perceived deficit in city "cred"? [[read: the implied "not black enough" and "too friendly to the suburbs" charges that defeated Hendrix against Kwame) Will Monica find a way to stir the pot even further? Or will Bing's "honeymoon" period last long enough to hold any serious challenge at bay?

Unless Bing makes some serious gaffes over the next few months I don't think Cockrel should try again. I don't think he can beat Bing and I believe that the voters have a notion of who should be on the council and who should be mayor. The council has never been a good launching pad to the mayors job.

Now if Cockrel's home is in the 13th congressional district a run at CCK position might make sense. If he really feels like been there and done that as far as a council position is concerned that might be more attainable than the mayors chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    What difference does it make if he goes back to Oakland County? I thought we were all in this together? It shouldn't matter where a person lives, as long as his heart is in the right place. If he loves Detroit, he can make a difference without living there. Funny nobody says anything about Mike Illitch not living in Detroit. Look at all he's done for the city. It don't matter.
    One of my goals in life is to one day purchase the Illitch home & turn it into a parking lot.

Should we have a residency requirement at all? Maybe we could one day have a mayor who never sets foot in Detroit at all. It is possible that we could elect someone from India who never even sets foot in the US. Then we could pay this person $1 per day to make mistake after mistake that is allowed because they make $1 per day. Come to think of it, it's better than KK!

I like residency requirements. I like the idea of having politicians represent the area they live. I like the idea of reverting to a ward-based city council. I also like the idea that sports teams should be named after where they play, unlike Mayor Bing's former employer, the Detroit Piston of Auburn Hills.

I think Mike Illitch will coach Dave Bing very well and Illitch Corp is poised to do steam roll their plans for completing Illitchville.

PIFITUL! Since Detroiters don't a young mayor mistake like Kilpatrick. They go with the unexperienced former Detroit Pistons basketball player.

One of my goals in life is to one day purchase the Illitch home & turn it into a parking lot.

Should we have a residency requirement at all? Maybe we could one day have a mayor who never sets foot in Detroit at all. It is possible that we could elect someone from India who never even sets foot in the US. Then we could pay this person $1 per day to make mistake after mistake that is allowed because they make $1 per day. Come to think of it, it's better than KK!

I like residency requirements. I like the idea of having politicians represent the area they live. I like the idea of reverting to a ward-based city council. I also like the idea that sports teams should be named after where they play, unlike Mayor Bing's former employer, the Detroit Piston of Auburn Hills.
    If residency requirements actually mean't something, then why did they lift the rule?? I know plenty of Firemen and Police Officers who don't live in the city proper. Since GM's world headquarters are on the river, it's mandatory that all who work there live in Detroit. Yeah ok.

Bearinabox Guest

If residency requirements actually mean't something, then why did they lift the rule?? I know plenty of Firemen and Police Officers who don't live in the city proper. Since GM's world headquarters are on the river, it's mandatory that all who work there live in Detroit. Yeah ok.
    Court challenge, wasn't it? Something to do with the state constitution?

Many of them did not live in the City when there was a residency requirement, but most of them did. Then, when the requirement was lifted and they left en masse, the areas that had been stabilized by their presence suffered.

So many employees no longer live in the city. They don't care about the City as much because they don't have as much stake in it.They count on the union preserving their jobs, along with the privatization rules council passed. They count on keeping jobs even as there is far less revenue in part because they pay less city tax and no property tax [[in most cases).

Removing the residency requirement had a negative impact on the City, as many in the legislature knew it would.

So, let people live wherever they want to live. But as someone who continues to be a tax-paying Detroiter, my feelings about those employees have changed. Privatize wherever it makes fiscal sense. Heck, hire a private police force, we pretty much have one now.

[[Okay, I will go ahead and admit to a bit of hyperbole because I really don't like the idea of a police force that doesn't live in the area they are sworn to protect and serve. I will never believe they care as much as they would if their children had to walk those same streets.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast