Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by chromestarhr View Post
    As LLOYD pointed out a few threads ago, I was the teenager in the back washing the dishes.
    Didn't your sister waitress there from time to time also?

One of the things that sticks out in my mind was Gary Vitto, the barber next door's son, loved his toast burnt to a crisp and we could always tell when he was in for breakfast! I believe his father, Mr. Vitto, owned the entire building. Gary went on to work for Mike Illitch in many different capacities.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

One of the things that sticks out in my mind was Gary Vitto, the barber next door's son, loved his toast burnt to a crisp and we could always tell when he was in for breakfast! I believe his father, Mr. Vitto, owned the entire building. Gary went on to work for Mike Illitch in many different capacities.
    My son got his first haircut at his barbershop on Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

Yes, my sister did waitress there from time-to-time during the early 80's while I was away at Grad School. Mom & Dad thought I lacked the proper social skills to be 'in the front'.
    Gary Vitto was our barber as well as a close family friend until his passing a few years back. There was never a dull moment when he was in the house.

Default 7 Mile & Hayes Lunch

Thanks for the memories of Vi and Gabe's [[especially from their son). I am the nephew of Gary Vitto and the grandson of Mr. Vitto, who owned the building and ran the barbershop next door. I was only 5 years old when the diner closed and 8 years old when Grandpa sold the building, but I do remember it fondly. I haven't thought about it in a long time. If anyone remembers Mr. Vitto bringing in his 5 year old nephew to eat, that would have been me.

Grandpa died in 1991, but Grandma Vitto is still alive and very well. If Vi and Gabe are reading this, I am sure she would like me to pass along her best wishes to you. As you referenced earlier, Gary did go on to work for Mike Ilitch in several capacities until his passing in 2001. We all miss him very much. I work for Mr. Ilitch now with the Tigers organization. Anyway, I know this thread was started a long time ago, but I just found it and I wanted to thank everyone for the memories. What would have been my Uncle Gary's 70th birthday is tomorrow, so I've been thinking a lot about his life this week. All the best, Dan G.