Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where would you like to see future electronic billboards go?
    Well, without giving it too much thought... on basically anything that does not seriously detract from a historic structure. I wouldn't like to see the Guardian or the Penobscot covered in them, but I think on Lower Woodward south of Campus Martius, as well as around Campus Martius such as on the Compuware Building, Ernst and Young, the several parking structures, and perhaps on other buildings in which they would look appropriate. The city should have to approve new signage as it is proposed. But, the worst case scenario is that these signs become a tourist attraction and people take pictures in front of them. If I had it my way, the signs should be electronic. I really dig the digital marquees with news updates you see in New York, and the video screens with streaming media. It makes the city seem lively and happening. Our CBD could use an injection of life so that it feels more like a 21st century, fast-paced city. Lighted, visual displays would definitely help.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    But, the worst case scenario is that these signs become a tourist attraction and people take pictures in front of them.
    Wait, what?

I understand now that lower Woodward is being designated as a historic byway. The signs should be displayed for businesses in the midtown area. The science center could have a sign on the Warren side of the building such as could the African American Museum. The DIA and the Historical Museums could have a display on John R and on Cass. Barnes and Noble could also have one in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Wait, what?
    What I meant was that the worst case scenario is that the sign will not be visually attractive, and will end up only being a location for photo-ops for visiting tourists. I am really hoping that this sign does much more, i.e. not only spurring the development of the building in issue, but generating some more development activity around it. Like I said, the worst case scenario is that the sign is not visually appealing, however, it will still become a recognizable downtown landmark.

if they are worried about the building being vacant how will putting a billboard on the front facade make it any more attractive to potential occupants? Kinda hard to sell office space without windows.

I have no problem injecting a little energy in the city. When I visit or hop on the campus martius webcam there is very little going on. No more than a handful of cars a few passersby and the odd MDOT bus.

So hell's to the yeah on the sign-but lets call a duck a duck-we're all in a hardship situation. Let us electrify the hell out of the area around campus martius. If Foran's wants a sign give it to them. Who on this forum doesn't smile when looking at old photos of the city clogged with signage-hell even the old opera house had signage that by today's standards would be considered gaudy.

for those that don't know about the designation:

A National Scenic Byway is a road recognized by the United States Department of Transportation for its archeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational, and/or scenic qualities. The program was established by Congress in 1991 to preserve and protect the nation's scenic but often less-traveled roads and promote tourism and economic development. The program is administered by the Federal Highway Administration.
    The most scenic of the roads in the program are designated All-American Roads. The designation means they have features that do not exist elsewhere in the United States and are scenic enough to be tourist destinations unto themselves. As of November 2010, there are 120 National Scenic Byways and 31 All-American Roads, located in 46 states [[all except Hawaii, Nebraska, Rhode Island, and Texas).[1]
    woodward is an "all american road" which is the highest honor and highest amount of funding. for those that don't know what that funding goes to, check out the non-profit that manages the byway:

http://www.woodwardavenue.org/index.html

aesthetic and opinion based arguments aside, basically wayne county wants to de-designate woodward [[eg. forefitting all federal monies provided to the entire woodward corridor) so that it can get money to renovate one obsolete building.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    What I meant was that the worst case scenario is that the sign will not be visually attractive, and will end up only being a location for photo-ops for visiting tourists. I am really hoping that this sign does much more, i.e. not only spurring the development of the building in issue, but generating some more development activity around it. Like I said, the worst case scenario is that the sign is not visually appealing, however, it will still become a recognizable downtown landmark.
    "Hey, look at me! I'm standing in front of the ugly billboard in downtown Detroit!"

WTF?

gdogslim Guest

I say make downtown into a New Times Square, with blazing billboards everywhere.

"Lights from billboards add life to an otherwise dark, drab, and lifeless skyline. See NYC's Times Square for explanation."

All this time, I thought it was the people on the streets and in the offices and living in the buildings around the city that made NYC seem so lively. But it was the billboards in Times Square. How did I miss it all these years?

So I read the article. I think folks have made some interesting comments about billboards, but I can't help but ask: Why on earth would the County want Starbucks in the building when 1. Starbucks closed shop one block away. 2. There are two places in the Gaurdian selling Illy [[a superior product?)

BTW, not much funding is available because it is a Byway. It does get special planning dollars but those will not be enough to do much more than study things like the Ferndale Crow's Nest.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    "Hey, look at me! I'm standing in front of the ugly billboard in downtown Detroit!"

WTF?
    What is your point? As I said, that's the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "Lights from billboards add life to an otherwise dark, drab, and lifeless skyline. See NYC's Times Square for explanation."

All this time, I thought it was the people on the streets and in the offices and living in the buildings around the city that made NYC seem so lively. But it was the billboards in Times Square. How did I miss it all these years?
    What is your point? Things that light up add the appearance of life to to an otherwise dark downtown. What do you suggest?

EastSider Guest

My point is that your "scenario" is completely ludicrous, absurd and preposterous, whether or not it's the "worst case."

Do you really think that people would want the billboard for a backdrop? Really?

"Look, here we are in downtown Detroit...beautiful fountain in Campus Martius...skyline shot from Windsor...Hart Plaza shot...giant billboard."

I ask again, WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    My point is that your "scenario" is completely ludicrous, absurd and preposterous, whether or not it's the "worst case."

Do you really think that people would want the billboard for a backdrop? Really?

"Look, here we are in downtown Detroit...beautiful fountain in Campus Martius...skyline shot from Windsor...Hart Plaza shot...giant billboard."

I ask again, WTF?
    Well, I'm not sure if you've ever looked at photos people take when traveling, but a whole lot of them are usually things [[ridiculous or not) that are identifiable in a city. A football field sized billboard in downtown Detroit would definitely be one of them. I guarantee that people will take pictures with that enormous sign, and eventually it will be a memorable part of Detroit's landscape. That's why there are more pictures of people standing next to Joe Louis' giant fist and that massive abandoned train station than there are of people in Campus Martius. Those things are far more memorable and are easily identified with Detroit. Just saying...

Answer this - what does this billboard do for making Detroit a better place to visit, work or live? Tell us how giant, energy-wasting, light-polluting, trashy billboards make Detroit a better place.

Bearinabox Guest

We lift Detroit in electric billboards.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Answer this - what does this billboard do for making Detroit a better place to visit, work or live? Tell us how giant, energy-wasting, light-polluting, trashy billboards make Detroit a better place.
    I probably think that you have NOTHING to worry about, in retrospect.

Imagine life without the Democratic Congress the next few years. Now THAT'S something to be concerned with.

This Byways program is one of many that will see the Teabagger axe fall on it. sadly.

bartock Guest

There is a lot of concrete work/repair being done around the outside of this building, and they are tearing out the alley between it and the Guardian Building.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    There is a lot of concrete work/repair being done around the outside of this building, and they are tearing out the alley between it and the Guardian Building.
    There is also work being done on the inside. The lights were on last night and I could see that the building was totally gutted.

Wasn't there supposed to be a vote by the city on Tuesday for this thing? Does anyone know the result of that?

County officials sure get creative when their pensions are threatened.

[[I think building is/was mainly a support for the air-conditioning equipment on the roof. Heat rejection for the Union Trust building next door that doesn't have anywhere to place that equipment outdoors.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2