Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    A pair of shoes carved for a wedding present for my grandfather from his father in about 1917. They were used for many years gardening on Beniteau across from Foch Jr. High in Detroit.

Attachment 1055
    way cool oladub.

You guys have some fantastic items!

I've got a million's of years old huge chunk of bituminous coal from the coalmine in behind the house where both me and my mother were born; which was the same mine my Papaw worked in.

Plus, I have the safety hat [[1920s) with the carbide headlamp he wore on the job. He always referred to it as his lucky hat - he survived 2 mine cave-ins while wearing that hat. I've also got the coal bucket he used to gather coal for the heating/cooking stoves in their house.

My stuff has to have a theme!

Great thread, everyone! Keep 'em coming! Even you rock hounds, as long as you can give a reasonably accurate age!

I have a pair of brass candlesticks and a brass tea kettle that my grandma brought over from Scotland when she and my grandpa immigrated in 1907. I also have a family Bible [[my mom's side). It was give to me by a relative in England when I was visiting. It dates back to the 1840's. None of the relatives there wanted it, so she asked me if I would like to have it. I ws thrilled....even though it was enormous and I had to carry it with my on the rest of the trip!

A signet ring dating to the late14th century. never see it, never touch it. it sits in a safe deposit box.

as far as purchases: old english school desk from 18th century

my coolest is my great grand parents marriage certificate from 1875 and my Grandfathers hand craved wooden thrasher circa 1920

Newspaper from 1813 reporting the battle of Queenston Heights and the death of General Brock. But I also have a period French Grandfather clock from about the turn of the 19th century.
    Last edited by GOAT; May-07-09 at 04:18 PM.

I've got a half done midwest area flint spearhead that a collector gave me. I wonder why the maker stopped ?

ccbatson Guest

Tax hikes on the upstart spearhead making industry?

I'm 19. The oldest thing I own is a 14-year-old teddy bear.

LodgeDodger Guest

Lemme see...antique Baker sideboard, jeweler's loupe [[my Father's), my Grandfather's bocce set, and a typewriter. There's other stuff, but this is what comes to mind.

Voightlander Sohn Camera lens, manufactured in 1854 [[so it could have been used for the portrait of Ray's Great-Grandmother).
    The best part is that I use it weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post
    Voightlander Sohn Camera lens, manufactured in 1854 [[so it could have been used for the portrait of Ray's Great-Grandmother).
    The best part is that I use it weekly.
    They just don't make them like they used to, Barnes.....

I have a set of diaries and record books from John Travis [[from the family that founded Travis city) from the mid 1800's, maybe earlier , I dont read it often. It was leant to the travis city historical society and transcribed for their records to help put together what life was like back then [[prices,weather,routines,illness outbreaks) [[i found this in the trash in the early 70's at the "country house" apts on seven mile and telegraph)

I also have a certificate from "the society for the propagation of faith" from 1889

My favorite is a group photo from a church group in detroit in 1921. It shows the congragation [[all white) posed for their pic out front of the church and one very young black child up front , seated and holding some banner. Its a very odd and interesting pic. Ive never been able to figure out the church .
    Last edited by n7hn; May-08-09 at 06:35 PM. Reason: update

Lorax Guest

I have a super, giant cabinet photo of the 1889 Phillips Andover football team, it's an original- with the only other one known to exist is in the collection of the Andover Library. Several of the kids [[probably between the ages of 16-18) include:

Vance McCormick, former governor of Pennsylvania, and liason to the Versailles conference in 1919, and a friend of Woodrow Wilson,

Frank Hinkey, one of the first to ever play professional football, and considered one of the fastest and most nimble players of all time,

Cornelius Bliss, who, with his sister and the Rockefellers founded the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

And Thomas Cochran, a founding partner of JP Morgan, who, unlike robber barons of today, donated his entire fortune to both Phillips Andover's current university buildings [[nearly all of them, including the museum and it's art collection) and many charity hospitals in and around New York and New Jersey.

I will try to attach a photo of this great sepia toned photo, so bear with me!

That's a real prize, Lorax. Further, they look like they could easily whip the Lions..........

Lorax Guest

They would not only whip the Lions, but do it without helmets, or rules for that matter!

This has got me thinking, The oldest thing I should have lying around is my "Civil War bayonet". That I have not seen in 15 years. Which would toss up My Great Grandfathers accordian type cameras, or the 1917 editions of the Hawkins Electrical Guide that I bought at a used book sale. But of all the old stuff I got my favorite thing is my FORD monkey wrench, Its old but it works.

Here's a few of my flashlights. I am always looking for more if anyone has any for sale. I like the bigger ones, 5 D cell size and up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I've got some rocks that are about 3,500,000,000 years old.

I win.
    I own a 50' x 100' piece of the Earth which is 4.55 billion years old, so I believe all of us homeowners win. lol.

In all seriousness though, I have my Great-grandfathers Bible that his father gave to him on Aug 19th 1904.

The oldest thing I have is a picture of my great grandparents wedding picture from 1915.

The oldest item we have is a porcelin clock from 1786. Next oldest is my great grandfathers Farmers Almanac from 1888.

CountrySquire, You just reminded me of more things I cant find. My old flashlights.

My Grandfather Was a Doctor Cleveland Oh 1930-50ish He Passed down a photo of the Mayo Bros Autographed wishing him luck..

My oak kitchen table was made sometime between 1860 and 1880,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast