Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Stimulus Money for SS recipients

If there are any folks here who receive Social Security and will be getting the $250 stimulus money this month, I'm curious to know if anyone has had it show up in their bank account yet?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    If there are any folks here who receive Social Security and will be getting the $250 stimulus money this month, I'm curious to know if anyone has had it show up in their bank account yet?
    I'm anticipating it; will post a note when/if/should it arrive.

ccbatson Guest

Why not cut out the middle man and take less away from those earning it instead of "graciously" refunding it later? It is called tax cuts.

I'm getting mine, the wife is getting hers. Eat your heart out, Bats.

ccbatson Guest

As I was suggesting, I am all in favor of people keeping what is theirs. I resent the gratitude given to people who plan to take more and more of it away, and occasionally throw a very inadequate bone their way in exchange for more power/votes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    As I was suggesting, I am all in favor of people keeping what is theirs. I resent the gratitude given to people who plan to take more and more of it away, and occasionally throw a very inadequate bone their way in exchange for more power/votes.
    Hey, not all of us are able to get paid by Medicare/medicaid and bitch about it!

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Why not cut out the middle man and take less away from those earning it instead of "graciously" refunding it later? It is called tax cuts.
    Because then those who no longer are able to still be "earning it" due to job loss, disability, or retirement would ALSO have to be "cut out" to make up for the loss of federal funds, if those tax cuts that conservatives demand and the RWers who claim will create millions of new jobs, would only be given to those who are still earning it.

Never mind that many who are now being "refunded" had FICA deductions taken out of their paychecks during their ENTIRE working lives, as they can just simply return to the workforce because of all of those unfilled and high paying jobs that were created from the wildly successful supply-side and trickle down economic incentives and federal tax loopholes that the corporate capitalists have enjoyed since the Reagan era of the 80s.

I just checked my bank account online, and mine shows up as a pending deposit set to post today. I don't know if the date that your SS goes into the bank makes a difference or not. My husband's hasn't show up yet...he gets his SS the second Wednesday of the month. I get mine on the 3rd of the month.

Received my $250 SS payment today. [[I am on LTD.)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Do you understand what Social Security is for? What would tax cuts help to someone on a fixed income who isn't paying taxes now?
    Actually, 85% of social security benefits are taxable for anyone with other income over $25,000 single or $32,000 married. That includes a lot of retired folks with even modest pensions and some savings.

Based on the amount of electricity I purchase, the percentage generated from coal and natural gas, and the percentage of my electric bill attributed to fuel costs, I will be paying approximately $312 more annually when President Obama launches his proposed middle class cap and trade tax. The Obama middle class tax cuts, financed with money borrowed from our grandchildren, will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Based on the amount of electricity I purchase, the percentage generated from coal and natural gas, and the percentage of my electric bill attributed to fuel costs, I will be paying approximately $312 more annually when President Obama launches his proposed middle class cap and trade tax. The Obama middle class tax cuts, financed with money borrowed from our grandchildren, will come in handy.
    and where did you get those figures?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    The above quote is of course completely off topic, and I don't recall reading a post from you regarding the Bush tax cuts of '01 and '03, which according to some estimates would reach 4+ trillion in lost federal revenue by 2018 if they were made permanent. I have little doubt that a McCain administration would have pressed Congress to do just that.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1018
    Last edited by Flanders; May-07-09 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Actually, 85% of social security benefits are taxable for anyone with other income over $25,000 single or $32,000 married. That includes a lot of retired folks with even modest pensions and some savings.
    Yep, that's me. I still paid Uncle a four-figure amount due to income other than SS [[Pension and investments). And I have no problem wth it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yep, that's me. I still paid Uncle a four-figure amount due to income other than SS [[Pension and investments). And I have no problem wth it, either.
    That will be me too, Ray, whenever I start receiving SS. I will become eligible in a couple of months, but haven't yet decided if I will start.